Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aluminum unit to mount Cylindrical Lenses

Well....I thought I would list the HSOP ( Heat Sink Optical Platform) unit here.

I will machine to order this style unit employed in this thread =====>

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/sky-blue-ramjet-build-94646-3.html#post1377641

The unit will fit into a standard C-Cell Maglite host and is able to contain :

One VXD driver
One Copper module with diode
One G2( or similar ) collimation lens
Two Cylindrical optic lenses

The unit will be machined from a solid 2" 3601 Aluminum bar stock.
These units would take 15 days to ship from receipt of payment.

Unit cost is $ 89.50 included USA shipping

See the attached pics.

Thanx,
CDBEAM

Attachments

• HSOP machining 13.jpg
    HSOP machining 13.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 208
  • HSOP testing 4.jpg
    HSOP testing 4.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 215
  • HSOP testing 5.jpg
    HSOP testing 5.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 220

Do you sell those cylindrical lens pair?

I really want to build a hand held optically corrected NUBM44/07E but don't really like the aesthetics of the mag pictured : (

Also, I have a pair of cylinders I got yesterday and have been having trouble mounting them correctly onto my NUBM44. one lens is 10mm wide and the other is 6mm wide and need aproximately 20mm separation. I'm going to draw up some plans for a mount that my friend might be able to print off with his 3D printer so hopefully that works. If not do you have any advice on how they can be mounted and aligned precisely?

Do you sell those cylindrical lens pair?

I really want to build a hand held optically corrected NUBM44/07E but don't really like the aesthetics of the mag pictured : (

Also, I have a pair of cylinders I got yesterday and have been having trouble mounting them correctly onto my NUBM44. one lens is 10mm wide and the other is 6mm wide and need aproximately 20mm separation. I'm going to draw up some plans for a mount that my friend might be able to print off with his 3D printer so hopefully that works. If not do you have any advice on how they can be mounted and aligned precisely?

I do not sell C-lenses.

Mmmmm...First...abandon a plastic Mount....Go with Aluminum !! Also...I have worked with very small C-Lenses....and they are a real PITA !!!

And if you think the 2 C cell Maglite looks :scowl::scowl::scowl: poor...Plastic will likely look worse.....also stability and alignment would not exist !!

Post what host you have in mind....and I might have some ideas to offer !! :san::san::san:

Last edited:
Well right now I'm just working with a regular C6 aurora host. I literally used Popsicle sticks zip tied to the front of it to mount the lenses (never intending this to be a permanent solution tho). I was able to align the lenses here and there nothing that lasted very long but the 5x cylinders did a hell of a job on the NUBM44 and it looked awesome. I almost set my couch on fire 20 feet away haha!

For this set of lenses I have now I kind of just want some type of adjustable mount that I can use labby style for various lasers. I think my friend at Boeing can help me there with the 3D printer. For a more permanent solution I have been trying to contact a few machinist on here to see if they could modify one of their kits to allow cylinders to be mounted but haven't had much luck. Ideally I would love to have an Ehgemus custom host (or something similar) built to take cylinders so I can have a corrected 07E. Even a C6 with a special heatsink like the one you made would be pretty sweet IMO.

I'll buy one of those for that flashlight, but want the ledge to be 6 inches long and 9mm below the exact center of the unit where the 12mm hole is. Just PM me the price and I'll send the funds tomorrow.

Well right now I'm just working with a regular C6 aurora host. I literally used Popsicle sticks zip tied to the front of it to mount the lenses (never intending this to be a permanent solution tho). I was able to align the lenses here and there nothing that lasted very long but the 5x cylinders did a hell of a job on the NUBM44 and it looked awesome. I almost set my couch on fire 20 feet away haha!

For this set of lenses I have now I kind of just want some type of adjustable mount that I can use labby style for various lasers. I think my friend at Boeing can help me there with the 3D printer. For a more permanent solution I have been trying to contact a few machinist on here to see if they could modify one of their kits to allow cylinders to be mounted but haven't had much luck. Ideally I would love to have an Ehgemus custom host (or something similar) built to take cylinders so I can have a corrected 07E. Even a C6 with a special heatsink like the one you made would be pretty sweet IMO.

Well....Mr.G...see this at LSP !!!

Lasershow Parts - Mitsubishi diode correction optics kit

It is likely LSP/ Dave would sell just the lens mounts....If not PM me......or....I may consider an HSOP modified for the C6.....MAYBE !!!....a big maybe
It really depends on outside and inside dimensions of the proposed host are !!!! I am not familiar with the dimensions on the C6 !!:beer::beer:

I'll buy one of those for that flashlight, but want the ledge to be 6 inches long and 9mm below the exact center of the unit where the 12mm hole is. Just PM me the price and I'll send the funds tomorrow.

PM incoming...Can do.....the ledge will be just slightly less in width !!....Because....the current ledge is 18mm thick...and you want to go down to 9mm off set...this means the ledge thickness will reduce to 15mm in total thickness....as the current off set is 6mm SOoooo...this will reduce the chord width....Eee Ah...I think :beer::beer:

Well....Mr.G...see this at LSP !!!

Lasershow Parts - Mitsubishi diode correction optics kit

It is likely LSP/ Dave would sell just the lens mounts....If not PM me......or....I may consider an HSOP modified for the C6.....MAYBE !!!....a big maybe
It really depends on outside and inside dimensions of the proposed host are !!!! I am not familiar with the dimensions on the C6 !!:beer::beer:

Oh wow I guess LSP must have been the person I got the cylinders from off eBay cause they look the exact same.. If my printed mount I should get tomorrow doesn't work out I'll give LSP a try.

The C6 host isn't very complicated. Jayrob sells a C6 Aurora kit that I have used several times and I can think of a few simple ways to mount cylinders to it with the right machining.

:wtf: I am so surprised at how unpopular corrective optics kits are and so how very few corrected handhelds we see. With all these high powered terrible beam spec diodes out lately I would have guessed they would be way way way more popular and accessible but to each their own I guess. . .

Anyway, I'm sure I will be back here in no time to discuss some options with you since your one of the very few to tackle corrected handhelds :beer:

I keep checking opt lasers for when they will put out a pair for the new diodes, especially the NUBM44 and 05T because I like their mounts as well.
However everything they have is for the older diodes up to the 7875, the mitsu and the 7475.

Last edited:
I keep checking opt lasers for when they will put out a pair for the new diodes, especially the NUBM44 and 05T because I like their mounts as well.
However everything they have is for the older diodes up to the 7875, the mitsu and the 7475.

Im willing to bet that the set they have for the Mitsubishi is the same set they are going to use for these new diodes because of the similarity in the beam profiles. It looks like they all have the same AR coating and the only difference between the cylinders for the 445nm 520nm and 635nm/mitsu is the magnification (3.5x for the latter being the highest ratio of expansion) .

I didn't realize you offered these, superb.

I'm a guy that likes maximum functionality.

while an optically corrected beam from say a nubm44 I have no doubt burns very well and at farther distances, getting a focal point for (better) burning is not possible without adding yet another collimating lens after the cylindrical pair, which would be a real PITA, as well as rob some output power.

obviously, for up close focal point burning, just the g lens will work, no cylindrical set needed.

so here's my question.

could you make it two seperate pieces?

the flat part that the optics are mounted to, imagine if it slid into the round part of the heat sink as a seperate piece, and was then bolted on. the holes for the bolts could be recessed so that it still slides into the host. the round heat sink part housing the diode would need a rectangular gap for the flat part to slide into. this would allow the cylindrical lenses to be modular to a larger degree, you could simply take out the HSOP unit, unbolt the OP part of it, and use the laser with just the g lens. since the diode orientation would not change, I would imagine when you wanted to put it back on, you could simply focus to infinity and bolt the OP part back on. everything should remain aligned, no? then you could use your unit for up close, max power focal point burning and still have superb divergence just by bolting another piece on.

also, could you make them in copper? I think copper is softer than aluminum right? so care would need to be taken not to strip off the threads of the bolted on piece.

one more thing, would a g7 work even better with a cylindrical pair, or is the difference between it and the g2 lens using the pairs not enough to justify the 5% - 10% power loss, whatever it is?

Last edited:
Yer kill'en me !! All can be done !! Leeme think on the " One Size Fits All " concept !!! See pic !! Beam Out:undecided::undecided::beer::beer::beer:

Attachments

• Swiss Army Knife Adaptor 4.png
    Swiss Army Knife Adaptor 4.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
or if not make them out of copper, maybe make them to accept some of the new larger size modules dtr sells, which practically are heat sinks themselves, they are so large.

I'd appreciate it so much if it could be done, I'd buy one from you for sure, and I wouldnt mind paying more than you list since it is more work

of course, if I went that route, I'd have to buy a whole new laser, and I already have one.

what if I sent you my 2" diameter copper heatsink? it is about 3 to 3.5 inches tall, a meaty heatsink. could you cut into it a slot and bolt holes and make an optical platform for it? I wouldnt mind aluminum for the platform. the heatsink doesnt slide into a host, it is the outside of the laser, so the bottom of the optical platform wouldnt need to be rounded or anything

perhaps I could also send the diode in module and have a set of cylindricals sent to ya, and you could set the diode and lenses up. if not no biggie, i'm fairly sure I could figure it out with the pieces.

and do you happen to know the difference with the cylindrical pair when using a g7 vs. a g2?

I'm guessing redcowboy has tested this and posted about it at some point, maybe I can find that

Last edited:
Yep... Why buy again...You got the CU...I got the machines to do the work !!

I just LOVE working with Copper !! It is soft...BUT....Copper is a B I T C H to drill and tap !!!!! It gums up when machining also. Just an all around PITA...BUT...It is the BEST to wick heat away from our diodes !!
But...THEN...switch to Aluminum after the initial boundry of CU !!!!!!...For Aluminum is the best to radiate heat into the atmosphere. Also...Aluminum is GREAT to machine !!!!! Oh well !!!

FORGET going with a deep tap hole...no more than 3/4"...4-40 thread...NO WAY...6-32 smallest I will go....and even that makes for a very slow and nervous tap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drill bits snapl ...taps snap !!! CDBEAM ===> :yabbmad::yabbmad::yabbmad::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Well...Move this project to PM !! I am sure we can hammer out a solution !!

CDBEAM...and....

"Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. No job is too big, no fee is too big. "
...so sez Dr.Peter Venkman / GhostBuster

or if not make them out of copper, maybe make them to accept some of the new larger size modules dtr sells, which practically are heat sinks themselves, they are so large.

I'd appreciate it so much if it could be done, I'd buy one from you for sure, and I wouldnt mind paying more than you list since it is more work

of course, if I went that route, I'd have to buy a whole new laser, and I already have one.

what if I sent you my 2" diameter copper heatsink? it is about 3 to 3.5 inches tall, a meaty heatsink. could you cut into it a slot and bolt holes and make an optical platform for it? I wouldnt mind aluminum for the platform. the heatsink doesnt slide into a host, it is the outside of the laser, so the bottom of the optical platform wouldnt need to be rounded or anything

perhaps I could also send the diode in module and have a set of cylindricals sent to ya, and you could set the diode and lenses up. if not no biggie, i'm fairly sure I could figure it out with the pieces.

and do you happen to know the difference with the cylindrical pair when using a g7 vs. a g2?

I'm guessing redcowboy has tested this and posted about it at some point, maybe I can find that

Last edited:
FORGET going with a deep tap hole...no more than 3/4"...4-40 thread...NO WAY...6-32 smallest I will go....and even that makes for a very slow and nervous tap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drill bits snapl ...taps snap !!! CDBEAM ===> :yabbmad::yabbmad::yabbmad::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Make sure to clear the chips every few turns!! Doing so you will get a lot further than 3/4" provided that your tap is long enough. And you don't have to thread the whole thing either, just drill the part you don't need to thread with a slightly larger bit. + always use tapping oil. Always cut with confidence, being nervous while cutting metal never turns out good. :beer: