Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

All in one thread for beginning hobbyists

gozert

Added some links to soldering guides. Couldn't find a lot of info on LPF. If anyone knows a thread with good info then please tell me. Will add the stores soon, Alan.

Edit: Stores have been added.

Last edited:
Very nice thread, but I have to disagree with this:

Dragonlasers: A well known reseller of CNI lasers. Their lasers are of excellent quality and usually overspec. They aren't the cheapest around for sure, but you will definitely not be disappointed with it. Customer service is overall pretty good, with a few exception here and there.

I've had serious problems with them, I wasn't the first and I doubt I'll be the last. You should at least remove the part about good customer service. Even when they replace the lasers they make the buyer pay for shipping. In my case they didn't want to replace an obviously underspec laser and in rhd's they scammed him out of part of his refund.

Other than that I have to say most newbies are not looking for expensive sources for lasers. It would be interesting to list a few cheaper Chinese stores and/or instructions on how to buy something that works properly from ebay.

Also missing a diode:
OSRAM PL515, 520nm 30mW: Datasheet, LPM test/info

Last edited:

gozert

Thanks for the diode. Will add it soon.

For the Dragonlasers customer service. I said it's overall good, with a few exceptions. I know there's been some people that had very bad experiences with them, but that's just a few. I can't say their customer service is bad when there's only a few cases where it went wrong. For the shipping part, although I completely agree with you that shipping costs should be covered in your case, they do state it in the ToS that you're the one to pay for shipping both ways in case something breaks. This is the case for LaserBTB too for example. People have had mixed experiences with them. Some never got a reply from their customer service, while others say it's excellent.

I'll see if I can adjust it a little, or maybe add a few of both good and bad reviews for the company.

The thread is targeted at new people that are willing to get into the hobby. Not really at people who come here, ask two questions and never come back. The people that are supposed to read this thread are the ones that are serious about getting into it, and are willing to spend some money on their first laser.

Last edited:
Honestly I've always thought this forum overrates paying more for the same thing.

I have two DX dilda lasers bought cheaply over 4 years ago and they still work fine. I've never had any customer service issues with DX (laser or otherwise related) and I've been buying from them for years. Every single time I needed a replacement they sent it for free and I never even had to ship the defective product back.

The issue isn't receiving a DOA or underspec laser - that happens with all companies - it's how they deal with those issues.

Buying from a "cheap" company doesn't mean you get crap and buying from an "expensive" company doesn't mean you get great lasers.

It is your thread and I won't keep arguing.

gozert

I've added a bunch of reviews for each company. Should I do the same for LPF shops/sellers or not? Tell me your opinions on it please.

APEX1

Having a list of batteries in the op would be useful for a newbie! Like good quality batteries, not the crappy ultrafire's!! IMR'S AWS etc... I've recently used the efest IMR's which I really like. I've done some testing on them just need to post the pics and stuff. Also, this thread would make for a great sticky in the welcome section :)

gozert

Alright, I'll add a bunch of info on batteries this afternoon. The thread is currently in the general section, but it indeed might be better off in the welcome section.

gozert

OSRAM PL450 should be OSRAM PLP450

And another diode:
BDR-209, 405nm 900mW: No datasheet to be found. LPM test/info

Thanks for the help! Edited and added the diode. Info on batteries later today.

Edit: Added some info on batteries, although I can't find a lot of info on them. Also added two some companies to get them from, but those are China based. If anyone can give me some names of US/EU companies that'd be great.

Last edited:
What a great thread you made Gozert thank you for this! This is going to help a lot of people myself included. Wish I could rep you but I will when it lets me. Great stuff.

gozert

Thanks! I still owe you rep as well, but can't do so yet.

I will be adjusting the thread a little bit soon. Possibly add some info as well if I can find more.

I made that battery comparison thread. It's not super technical but has some useful true ratings of the leading brands we use. Have you seen that one? Anyway I just ordered some Samsungs 18650 and will be adding those to the review. If you think it would help new people feel free to link it. If you want no offense not. http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/t...sonic-aw-efest-ultrafire-batteries-93672.html
Again, great thread. I know how long these things take to make and members like you make this forum so great.

Last edited:

gozert

Yeah, I've already got it linked under the battery section in the thread. It's great to know what batteries to buy and not to buy. I own a couple Nitecore batteries myself and was curious whether they were actually up to spec compared to other batteries. Your thread definitely helped me out on that one. I also use it every now and then when I need new batteries, especially when wanting to try out another brand.

It surely took quite a while to compile everything in a thread and still make it organized. Probably spent 5-6 hours on it so far. As long as it's useful to others I don't mind spending my time on it at all.

gozert

More info on laser safety has been added along with links to buy proper safety goggles from.