Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

After 6 days, new laser is now a flashlight

I just received my SF501b 1.5--1.8W laser from Scifi lasers and now the focusing ring came off and when I put it back on, the only light that comes out is similar to a flashlight. I only had it for 6 days and now it's not shining like a laser anymore.

FWIW, that focusing ring needs to be made so that it doesn't accidently come off. I don't believe I turned it excessively. If there was a lens in it, I can't find it anywhere and I know exactly where I was standing in my house when it came off. I do remember I was aiming it at a wall and trying to focus it when I noticed that the knob was loose. Suddenly it came off. I guess this thing wasn't made as well as I gave it credit for.

Last edited:

Rivem

There definitely was a lens, and if it's not there anymore, that's your problem. Otherwise, you should be able to refocus. Not too hard to buy just the lenses for those modules though.

If you truly don't want to deal with it, I'm sure plenty people here would be interested. Even I'd be if the price is right.

OVNI

Are you talking about something that looks like this?

2dcdJZr.jpg

Those are available lots of places like here.

It may have simply unscrewed all the way. It'll look like a flashlight until you get it in the position that focuses its.

Hibro

Can you please upload a picture? This will help a lot explaining things.

Are you talking about something that looks like this?

2dcdJZr.jpg

Those are available lots of places like here.

It may have simply unscrewed all the way. It'll look like a flashlight until you get it in the position that focuses its.

Yeah, that's it, except the ring portion came completely off the threaded cylinder part. When I screwed it back in, it wouldn't focus anymore. Then I discovered that they were supposed to stay together and turn together to focus. Since they came apart, the ring part turned by itself. I managed to get the cylinder turning again so now it focuses, but the ring still turned independently until I screwed the two together and made them tight. Plus, for some odd reason, the flat silver part that the lens fits into is now very loose and now the laser doesn't stay on anymore unless I wiggle the silver part around and then hold it with my finger to keep it in place. Otherwise, the laser flickers and goes out like a cheap flashlight would. Is there a way to tighen that silver part so it's not loose anymore? It feels like the whole thing is ready to fall apart the way it is now.

Last edited:
If needed I can send a new lens in Buddy.

That's ok, it doesn't appear that the lens is missing after all. I scoured the floor looking for it, but it was never missing. Since the ring came off and then putting it back on resulted in having a "blue flashlight", I had assumed there was a lens behind the ring part. Now I learned that the lens is in the cylinder. The reason I could no longer focus the beam is because the ring wasn't turning the cylinder with the lens in it. I have the two parts tightened together now. But now that flat silver part the lens fits into is very loose and I don't know why. Can you tell me how to get that tightened? It's no longer working while the flat silver part is wiggling.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's it, except the ring portion came completely off the threaded cylinder part. When I screwed it back in, it wouldn't focus anymore. Then I discovered that they were supposed to stay together and turn together to focus. Since they came apart, the ring part turned by itself. I managed to get the cylinder turning again so now it focuses, but the ring still turned independently until I screwed the two together and made them tight. Plus, for some odd reason, the flat silver part that the lens fits into is now very loose and now the laser doesn't stay on anymore unless I wiggle the silver part around and then hold it with my finger to keep it in place. Otherwise, the laser flickers and goes out like a cheap flashlight would. Is there a way to tighen that silver part so it's not loose anymore? It feels like the whole thing is ready to fall apart the way it is now.

Wrap the cylinder part with teflon tape.

Last edited:
Can you please upload a picture? This will help a lot explaining things.

Look at the picture OVNI posted. That's the part. But on mine, the ring portion became separated from the cylinder portion. I have them back together now. I didn't realize turning the ring is supposed to turn the cylinder to focus the laser. Since they separated, there was no longer any focus. That's what led me to think a lens had fallen out when the ring came off the cylinder.

Wrap the silver part with teflon tape.

You mean on the threaded part? How about using Lock-tite? Would that have the same affect? The idea is to keep the 2 parts together, right? I had originally inserted a paperclip between the ring and the flat silver surface to keep the focus from turning so easily. The paperclip has gone missing and then I noticed everything was loose and then the ring came off and that's when I realized I had a problem.
I'd normally be in bed asleep right now, but now I'm wide awake from all the aggravation! I won't be sleeping any time soon! :can:

You mean on the threaded part? How about using Lock-tite? Would that have the same affect? The idea is to keep the 2 parts together, right? I had originally inserted a paperclip between the ring and the flat silver surface to keep the focus from turning so easily. The paperclip has gone missing and then I noticed everything was loose and then the ring came off and that's when I realized I had a problem.
I'd normally be in bed asleep right now, but now I'm wide awake from all the aggravation! I won't be sleeping any time soon! :can:

You got my email. Reply asap. and we will get it fixed.

Hi Led,
Ok take unscrew the lens out of the laser then screw the focus ring back onto the lens tight.
Now screw the lens back in the laser it should focus now and the ring will stay on the lens. Just be careful when you take the lens out NOT!! to get any dirt or dust on the diode window or it will burn onto it and it won't focus well after that.
Get some sleep's not that bad of an issue.

Rich:)

Last edited:

GSS

That's ok, it doesn't appear that the lens is missing after all. I scoured the floor looking for it, but it was never missing. Since the ring came off and then putting it back on resulted in having a "blue flashlight", I had assumed there was a lens behind the ring part. Now I learned that the lens is in the cylinder. The reason I could no longer focus the beam is because the ring wasn't turning the cylinder with the lens in it. I have the two parts tightened together now. But now that flat silver part the lens fits into is very loose and I don't know why. Can you tell me how to get that tightened? It's no longer working while the flat silver part is wiggling.
LED:crackup: This isn't toward you. I did and thought the exact same thing when I got my first SciFi!! 1W 445 when I first joined. I tortured Pman with PM's telling him I lost a lens that I thought was also in the focus ring. The best way to tighten that ring to the lens barrel is to take out the lens barrel and finger tighten them pretty well together and it should hold fine. A few things to be careful of is to put the focus ring back on the right side of the barrel and not to lose the fine spring that comes out when you take the barrel out. Maby stay away from using teflon tape and a paper clip spring as it will hold finger tight. and no lock tight at all. That silver surface is the front of the heatsink that goes into the front of the host and if its wiggling it will most likely cause flickering. The only thing that holding it in is the front portion of the host that you should make sure is tight. Just study it closely and you should be able to figure it out without having to return it to the Joker. It just might need something simple as a thin piece of metal to snug it down if even that
Yes get some sleep like Lifetime said its not that bad. Pman said the exact thing to me

Last edited:
LED,
Yes what GSS said :) What ever you do DON"T send it back to SCI Fi If you lost a spring or focus ring i'll send you one to get you back on your feet.
Rich:)

Last edited:

Pman

From what I can tell by what you wrote the issue now is that you lost the spring that is used to help keep the lens steady so it doesn't move around. I can't stand it when any of mine are loose from a spring that doesnt create enough tension. What I do is use a tighter spring (as in one with more tension) so it keeps it in place a lot better. I just buy a spring set from Harbor Freight and use one of those. Obviously the spring must be wide enough not to interfere with the diode and lens and also be able to compress enough to let you focus to infinity.
I personally don't use Teflon tape because it ends up shredding if you focus a lot and you could accidentally get a piece between the diode and lens and ruin one or both. Teflon tape is meant to seal a connection one time and not for something you would loosen and tighten over and over. Every single laser I've purchased that someone used Teflon tape on the lens had to have the tape removed because it was coming apart. I would only use it if I wanted to focus the lens to one spot and not change it. If you had to use Teflon tape then you need to inspect the tapes condition at times based upon how much you focus the laser. Make sure you don't wrap it to the edge of the lens where it screws in and you must wrap it tight in the direction that pulls it tighter.
As someone else sadi, DON'T let anything touch the glass lens. You can clean a glass lens but it's better to not have to at all. Try canned air first before anything else if the lens is dirty. DON'T use something like an air compressor as there are contaminants in side the tank that will make the situation far worse.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
It looks like you just put the focus adapter (chrome piece) back on the lens (brass) backwards, as GSS mentioned. Take it back off and screw it on the other side of the lens and re-install the lens assy. in the module.
Without a spring it will be wobbly, but you ought to be able to get it focusable if you hold the focus adapter.

Last edited: