Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Actual Laser Laws by Country

Garoq

I am very confused about US laws.... Someone help me?

Selling handheld lasers or laser kits over 5mW output power is illegal in the US according to the FDA. You can, however, build a laser of any power you wish from parts you purchase from various sources as long as the parts are not promoted specifically for use in such lasers.

Selling handheld lasers or laser kits over 5mW output power is illegal in the US according to the FDA. You can, however, build a laser of any power you wish from parts you purchase from various sources as long as the parts are not promoted specifically for use in such lasers.

Yet there are various semi-finished laser kits on ebay. like "add host+heatsink" ones..

Indonesia: NONE

but we have lots of stupid local customs.

Last edited:
Adding a few,
Here in Hong Kong , its OPEN SEASON for laser usage as there are no specific laws regarding the usage of lasers .
Heck , you can even bring a laser out to the 8PM DAILY LASER SHOW
wfik.jpg

They got 80W mega lasers .
You can have a little 800mW

what about traveling with a class 3-4? thru Tea Ess Aye? I'm sure there would be some questions.....

So the 2 lasers I just ordered will be confiscated? I really would hate to loose $500+ as I'm just a poor lad :(

So the 2 lasers I just ordered will be confiscated? I really would hate to loose $500+ as I'm just a poor lad :(

Not too likely.

startlight did not mention if the these two lasers meet FDA safety requrements etc. If these units meet the requirements then they are by law legal to import.

This site is well know outside of this forum. starlight, if these lasers do not meet these requirements keep your mouth shut.

Garoq

startlight did not mention if the these two lasers meet FDA safety requrements etc. If these units meet the requirements then they are by law legal to import.

This site is well know outside of this forum. starlight, if these lasers do not meet these requirements keep your mouth shut.

Good points Steve. I should have mentioned that he didn't order them from us, we don't sell lasers in the US.

So what you mean is, for lasers selling to the US, you only need to have a switch and registered with FDA, then it is somehow legal and can be imported?

Laser pointers are defined as Class II or Class IIIa devices, with output beam power less than 5 milliwatts (<5 mW). According to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, more powerful lasers may not be sold or promoted as laser pointers. Also, any laser with class higher than IIIa (more than 5 milliwatts) requires a key-switch interlock and other safety features.

So if the laser has safety features and registered with FDA then it's actually legal? That's what I meant cause the quote says its requires safety features.

Garoq

Basically the FDA does not want anyone to SELL handheld lasers or complete handheld laser "kits" over 5mW output in the US. It doesn't matter if the handheld laser has the safety features or not.

It is perfectly legal to build them yourself from parts however.