Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ace Beam w30

BobMc

2.4km throw with 500lumens and a tiny form factor?
Couldn't help myself, it's already on its way to me.

They state 14W source but I can't find any technical specs. Would this be powered with dual nubm44's through a prism? There's no duty cycle information so I just surmising.

I understand the draw., I haven’t ordered mine yet. Did you order off EBay or from Ace Beam direct? Will be ordering mine in a week or so. :)

I hear their shooting a laser through phosphorus to make the light. Duty cycle haven't read about, will be interesting to see. Best wishes
BobMc

Last edited:

Hey yah Bob !!!
How's things bro?
I've missed you.
Mind you, I haven't been around much lately either.
Great to see you're enjoying your touring trips.
I have a bit of time up my sleeve atm before work starts up again.

RB
(y)

2.4km throw with 500lumens and a tiny form factor?
Couldn't help myself, it's already on its way to me.

They state 14W source but I can't find any technical specs. Would this be powered with dual nubm44's through a prism? There's no duty cycle information so I just surmising.

I was very tempted to order one but I can't maker myself pay nearly 300 bucks for 500 lumens, however I am glad you ordered one and I hope you will share pics and details when you get it.

As for 14 watts that would likely be the total draw into the driver which would mean 13w into the diode and that's worth about 4-5 watts out, I expect it might use an Osram PLTB450B diodes or possibly a new diode that could output 5w pushed but 3.5-4w in the flashlight and the divergence of that diode I am interested in, hopefully if it's so we will see it in the wild, but this is speculation., could well be a pltb450B.

I can tell you the multi mode blues are less efficient when overdriven and the flashlight maker is likely not overdriving, also a 44 diode doing 7w is getting 4.5a @ 4.5v so 20w into the 44 diode to get 7w+ out but that is overdriven.

Also it runs on a single 21700 cell so it's boosted which is less efficient, I seriously doubt the LD is putting out more than 4w if that much, but you can easily take a current reading by using a jumper in place of your tail cap and taking a current reading, I like to use an inductive meter but you can use a multi meter's DC current function and test it inline to see what the draw is 14w with sag would be around 4 amps from the one 21700 cell so that's likely as hard as they would push it, to power 2x44's even at factory spec would need 3 batteries in series to be safe and not get them too hot, 2 x 21700 cells at minimum.
---edit---
I see that they include a single 18650 adaptor so that goes to show what the output is really limited to in total watts of light out or the output of the LD that pumps the phosphor, I expect it's around 1.5w to 3.5w the Osram pltb450B is a likely candidate and possibly a pair of them which could account for 14w draw from the single battery if that's correct.

Last edited:

JimK

I understand the draw., I haven’t ordered mine yet. Did you order off EBay or from Ace Beam direct? Will be ordering mine in a week or so. :)

I hear their shooting a laser through phosphorus to make the light. Duty cycle haven't read about, will be interesting to see. Best wishes
BobMc
Local retailer. Should be here early next week.

I could not resist as well. I ordered one from a local shop in Australia. About the same price as Ebay but faster shipping.

The torch arrived today. I have only had it out for a quick test but I gotta say I am very impressed with the throw on this torch. Even up in the air the beam is visible for quite a long way. I have only tested it at a hundred meters or so and the beam spot is still quite small and very bright.

I need to give it a good run when I get some time.

JohnnyTee

Red Cowboy, very interesting on your calculations. You’re very smart. There’s 1 piece of misinformation going around that you have used in your equation. Im only saying this to get a more accurate estimate for the w30. I have one, and in the instructions, the adapter is for if you buy a different brand of battery. Because thee ace beam brand 21700 has a built in charger where you plug a lighting cord directly into the battery. Now if i order another brand of 21700, it likely wont have a built in charger so it will in turn, be short. Hence the adapter sleeve. An 18650 will also fit in there and work, however its not as bright, noticeable to the naked eye. I hope this helps. Is there any information i can get for you in order to figure out the wattage? Id be more than happy to help. John

Encap

Red Cowboy, very interesting on your calculations. You’re very smart. There’s 1 piece of misinformation going around that you have used in your equation. Im only saying this to get a more accurate estimate for the w30. I. John
This thread has been dead for a year and a half. Necroposting on dead threads is very frowned upon on LPF

W30 is a dead product and no longer matters for more than 1 year.
It became a discontinued product in November 2019 for the claimed reason of trouble with parts which is probably not true---would guess because of the lack of sales, costs, and /or limited/market uses for the flashlight.

Last edited:
My guess is there is one or more members who like to post anonymously and routinely making new member ID's to do so, one appears to like to get a rise out of people necroing too, I believe I know who is doing it much of the time. Of course, it could just be some random newbie, I was drawn to the forum searching google and found a link to an old thread which I posted a question in and get whipped with a wet noodle too.

JohnnyTee

I apologize if this is a touchy subject. Alaskan nailed it, i was drawn to the forum from a google search....that’s exactly what happened lol. Well I guess you guys don’t find it lol, (lol). Ok im done. I do apologize tho and it does say about using an 18650 in that equation. He clearly states how there’s an adapter for an 18650 and goes on to say how that proves how much more the power output is limited. I was just making sure, thats all. The acebeam w30 is an amazing light, ive had it since it came out and to this day, it’s still amazing as the day I bought it. It never gets old. And 1 more thing before i go, the $329 price tag is fairly new, since about September/October 2020. Prior to that, the last time i ordered 2 (yes 2 more), was September 2019 right before they were discontinued and they were $250. Still pricey but everyone who has seen it in person, wanted one. The $250 price tag was not an issue whatsoever. And idk if acebeam actually makes the battery or not but the battery that comes w tbis light is branded acebeam. As far ad im concerned its an acebeam battery, saw about 12 of them. Im 42 from the Poconos in PA, so don’t cunfuse me with someone else making up a new name to start trouble. I was simply curious before you 2 chased me off. Good thing I saw the little notification thing as i was punching in my information to donate money, that would have been a waste. If membership is low, i can understand why. Have a good life! —John

I apologize if this is a touchy subject. Alaskan nailed it, i was drawn to the forum from a google search....that’s exactly what happened lol. Well I guess you guys don’t find it lol, (lol). Ok im done. I do apologize tho and it does say about using an 18650 in that equation. He clearly states how there’s an adapter for an 18650 and goes on to say how that proves how much more the power output is limited. I was just making sure, thats all. The acebeam w30 is an amazing light, ive had it since it came out and to this day, it’s still amazing as the day I bought it. It never gets old. And 1 more thing before i go, the $329 price tag is fairly new, since about September/October 2020. Prior to that, the last time i ordered 2 (yes 2 more), was September 2019 right before they were discontinued and they were $250. Still pricey but everyone who has seen it in person, wanted one. The $250 price tag was not an issue whatsoever. And idk if acebeam actually makes the battery or not but the battery that comes w tbis light is branded acebeam. As far ad im concerned its an acebeam battery, saw about 12 of them. Im 42 from the Poconos in PA, so don’t cunfuse me with someone else making up a new name to start trouble. I was simply curious before you 2 chased me off. Good thing I saw the little notification thing as i was punching in my information to donate money, that would have been a waste. If membership is low, i can understand why. Have a good life! —John
Raising the dead is ok when one adds relevant information. I though you did

Are there pics/specs etc on-line- would like to see one of those..

CPF people in/near Dallas meet each year in a nice park-for 'one-nighter' gathering- missed a chance to 'attend' -- there is a link someplace.. still on my bucket list.

VR hak