Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Accidentally hit in the eye with Ebay laser?

Why is every new member here automatically a troll or a returning banned member? I know he is probably some kid that got careless but why does that matter? If you don't like threads like this then just ignore them and don't post. If we keep running off every new member it's no wonder that the forum isn't so active anymore. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Alan

Why is every new member here automatically a troll or a returning banned member? I know he is probably some kid that got careless but why does that matter? If you don't like threads like this then just ignore them and don't post. If we keep running off every new member it's no wonder that the forum isn't so active anymore. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Alan

Agreed Alan, and speaking of trolls how about all the spam accounts, that are created and then make like 20 posts of just html code for their "store"? I think there should be some sort of precaution in place that only allows new members to post in the "welcome" sub-forum first and then allow them to post where they want. At least so we can eliminate these spam accounts from instantly spewing spam all over LPF, as well as these "trolls".

hi,
I think if this person was legit he would be here defending his thread.

Rich:)

I agree with Rich,
I also agree with EP in that a 1st post welcome thread be manditory before being able to post

There are certain rules and proper etiquette to this forum, and any person who doesn't follow those rules/etiquettes should not be allowed to post, and definitely should not be able to make a thread. Why set rules if your just going to allow any random person to come in and break them. All because you want to feel like you helped someone, which by the way that person can't even stick around for (2) hours to have an answer back?

Enforcing things like having your age/location posted and having to create a little introduction is so minimal on behalf of a person who really wants to use this forum for its purpose.

Razako

Alan
I don't think we're running off new members at all. If people are polite, constructive and thoughtful in their first posts they usually get a bunch of +rep right away. Even if they just sign up to ask about a laser they wanna buy, we're usually quite helpful to them.

On the other hand, I've probably seen 5-10 of these "oh darn, I hit myself in the eye with my laser" posts over the past few months and they always go the same way. People respond with the typical "we don't know, see a doctor" posts and usually the OP disappears never to be seen again(leaving me with the feeling that we got trolled). Even if these people weren't trolls, I highly doubt that they were gonna stick around to contribute anything. They just posted here with a problem, got an answer and left.

You gotta look at this from a troll's point of view. "If I was gonna troll LPF what would I post about?"

Encap

I don't think new members are being run off, either.

Is very hard to believe that people can even ask a question like "I was wondering if I had done permanent damage to my retina? " There are a lot of posts like that and members start to think--"How can anyone be that stupid except on purpose?" --- so they think must be a troll. It is understandable especially when the OP gets some responsible answers giving them the benefit of the doubt and they don't ever respond or post again

Is not possible for anyone on LPF to answer such a question. Nobody knows the actuality of anything that happened much less about the inside of anyone's eye after a hypothetical incident.

Last edited:
Yes people really can be that stupid, and it's not their fault that their that stupid, and we don't want them to remain that stupid. If the OP were that stupid then the way this thread turned out they may be intimidated by our replies and not want to post again. Maybe we can educate and help people like this and some of them could become useful members of the forum. There are plenty of people that come here that know nothing about lasers, but they learn.

Alan