Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A140 Arrived. 24 Watt outdoor pics

blrock

So my $1400 XJ-A140 arrived yesterday. Before ripping the guts out I watched some Lord of the Rings using the HDMI port. This only lasted some 5 minutes. Then the dissection procedure began.

The first power-up revealed to true brightness of these diodes. Blinding! The 24 diodes reflected off a white wall catching me off guard. There was an immediated black square in my vision. Thankfully this has disappeared this morning. I rushed for my OD 4 laser goggles.

I've attached some pictures of the laser outside. There was no smoke or fog about. You can see how the yard lights up blue! The other picture shows the beam into the sky. (After checking for no planes first) Using the standard lenses with very short focal points gives an extremely uncollimated beam. Even so, the beam still looks pretty awesome.

After all this I hooked up one diode to a Flexmod driver. Threshold was 170mA. I ran it at 1.2A for around 10 minutes. To my surprise the heatsink was still cool to the touch. My overall optimistic project is to build a multi watt blue laser. I'll let a few of these diodes go for $70 if anyone is interested. I know it is way over the usual asking price but I had to pay quite abit more for the A140 projector here in South Africa. Drop me PM if you wish.

Attachments

• DSCN3302.JPG
    DSCN3302.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 626
  • DSCN3308.JPG
    DSCN3308.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 626
  • DSCN3319.JPG
    DSCN3319.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 10,143
  • DSCN3322.JPG
    DSCN3322.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 777
  • DSCN3329.JPG
    DSCN3329.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,291
  • DSCN3330.JPG
    DSCN3330.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 996

MERC

Sweet pictures not many floating around with all the diodes lit up.

This is epic. 24 diodes all going down the same beampath woot ^_^

That is a sweet beam shot! Now take a magnifying glass and put it in front of all 24 :eg:

:drool: Awesome beam shots!

But can the array pop a ballon? :whistle: j/k

Razako

Oh come on...Now I wanna buy one of these projectors when I really should be saving the money for something important.... Like a new tv :san:

You should start selling laser vuvuzelas so they can assault the ears as well as the eyes.

Awesome pictures. What time was it when you did the sky shot? I bet that could be seen from a long way away. People out and about probably wondered WTF is that.

Awesome pictures. What time was it when you did the sky shot? I bet that could be seen from a long way away. People out and about probably wondered WTF is that.

This.

Thick bright beam of azure light. People probably thought the martians were landing.

blrock

I know. Thats why I only did it once and took the picture quickly. Didn't want to draw to much attention. :)

Razako

This.

Thick bright beam of azure light. People probably thought the martians were landing.
You should see what the beam from a herc putting out ~500mw with the X10DR looks like on a foggy night. Green pillar of light that practically lit up the neighborhood and looked like something right out of war of the worlds.

You should see what the beam from a herc putting out ~500mw with the X10DR looks like on a foggy night. Green pillar of light that practically lit up the neighborhood and looked like something right out of war of the worlds.

Haha. He should try that on a foggy night with his 24W blue laser assembly. Would probably look like summer afternoon daylight - but blue lol.

Now if LucasArts were worried about something looking like a light saber that big blue beam going into the sky is the closest thing I've seen yet! WOW! I wonder what that would look like with snow on the ground...

plexus

S[snip]The other picture shows the beam into the sky. (After checking for no planes first) Using the standard lenses with very short focal points gives an extremely uncollimated beam. Even so, the beam still looks pretty awesome.[snip]

sorry to be a spoilsport but you should never shine any laser into the sky even if you check for "no planes first". the reason is that pilots can see the beam when viewed from the side from a good distance and many of the reports from pilots being distracted from lasers has also included those just being shot into the sky.

It is distracting to pilots and highly dangerous and there is rarely a good reason for doing so.

Please do not shine any laser into the sky regardless of the presence of aircraft from your perspective.

It's good that some people in the not so distant past discovered these diodes in this particular projector and find a nice use for it,......The rest is history ! ;)