Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A Sticky Situation

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Just noticed the other day as I was setting up my lasers to take updated photos for the "Member Collections" section that the coatings on a couple of the hosts had gone all sticky. I tried cleaning that with some soap and water on a cloth but it made no difference. I think the rubber coating has degraded and it's permanent.

These are the classic "Newwish" style pen hosts with black rubber coating. (Pics Below) It doesn't really matter, but it also feels kind of gross touching them like this. Wouldn't mind removing the coating entirely, but it will probably be difficult as these lasers cannot be disassembled easily from what I can tell. Or is there some chemical I could wash them with that could solve this without damaging the laser guts? Anyone else ever had this happen and found a solution?

Newwish-Host1.jpg

Newwish-Host2.jpg

Same happened to one on mine (with brass body) that I got from a member here, and I just decide to scrub it off with razor blade and scotch brite to get an even finish. If you would choose to do this, then you may want to clear coat it or something, or else your hands will smell of metal after holding it. I know this because I didn't care to do that last step.

Try a paper towel and some MEK ( methel ethel keytone ) or if you don't have any then try 91-99% isopropyl alcohol or another solvent, just keep it away from the acrylic lens, actually it's better to dissemble before cleaning if you can, all the ones I cleaned years ago were brass underneath but who knows today, could be aluminum by now.

Could 'clear' shrink wrap be used after cleaning?
heatshrinkbuddy ( at eekbay) is very helpful- sending me a few samples-asked about sizes of clear for copper/brass hosts after 'spiffed' up some.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
My nightvision monocular has suffered the same fate :(
Yeah heat shrink is a good idea. Give that a try. Walmart sells that stuff

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions, the heat shrink could work even without trying to remove the current coating, at least I wouldn't have to feel that stickiness every time I touch them.

I will try using some MEK, don't have any on hand but will pick it up when I get the heat shrink. I would like to disassemble them if possible, but it does seem to be press fit. Has anyone else ever successfully disassembled this host before? Then I could repaint then some funky color if I could get the host apart. :D

I did scratch a small patch of the coating off of one of them and it does seem to be brass underneath:

Newwish3.jpg

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That's what confused me. Brass coating? The tips are aluminum

that cheap ass rubber! I have 3 Sandisk Thumb drives that literally did the exact same thing. I dont know exactly what makes it do that.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
that cheap ass rubber! I have 3 Sandisk Thumb drives that literally did the exact same thing. I dont know exactly what makes it do that.
I do know that they have to treat rubber to get it to temper or whatever they called it. It prevents the rubber from rotting over a long period of time. I guess if the job is cheaply done *cough* china *cough* you get decaying rubber like that.

405nanoMatt

A rag dipped in a tiny amount off gasoline can usually dissolve just about anything. After that. Would apply some polish .

JBazz

If MEK doesn't do it, nothing will. Nasty stuff.

Regular heat shrink can come loose over time...the type with built-in adhesive might be the best option.

Might look good with clear heat shrink over brass.

I have had that happen on many things including some of the remotes from my av equipment and the same style pens.

Just how that 'finish' passed testing is beyond me.... it really sucks.

julianthedragon

It looks a bit like that nasty sticker residue. I would try rubbing some oil, maybe acetone/nailpolish remover or that googone stuff if they sell it near you. Let me know if you find anything that works, I actually have a 405 ebay pointer in the same type of host and condition but I haven't gotten around to trying anything with it yet. Sometimes water based things fail to clean sticky messes like that because they have to be dissolved by something nonpolar like oil

farbe2

I would use "Backofenspray" (englisch "oven cleaner" or "oven spray" i dont know)
i dont know if other countries have something like this.
Its usually used to clean dirty kitchen appliances like ovens and toasters. Its a foamy spray that can be purchased in aerosol cans just like gaffity rattle cans. It does a great job of cleaning burned in fat stains in ovens and it also does wonders for sticky rubber coatings. Works better than gasoline, MEK, Aceton, Isopropanol.
Give it a try if you can get "backofenspray".