Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A quick look at the new sinner host

Hey everyone,

Just like all of you I was excited to receive the host today I had a module all set and I just popped it in. This isn't a tutorial how you should build yours but just a quick look at mine tonight. this is my first pen host build bare with me :)
-this is diode case negative PL520 B1.
-battery 10440 efest
-sinner single battery host bare copper
sizing things up
9290-image.jpg

9143-image.jpg

now the issue I ran into immediately was the module presses in hard. I was gentle with it and used the vise. with rubber in the jaws.(the first time I didn't and it marred the copper oops)
also the tail cap has no spring. maybe some of you wont need a spring but my diode/driver setup required one for a good contact. I had to solder one on but BE WARNED it was tricky and the plastic got hot it took several attempts.
9286-image.jpg

next I pressed the standard AixiZ focusing knob into the brass housing-that was now problem and this is where I am at!

9284-image.jpg

I used a bit of brass polish to shine it up and it looks great bare copper.

Also some of us had talked about a 9mm build by squeezing a bit of wire between the module and the host. Tmack elected to get DTR to sell the 9mm with the case pin attached? this might be a better option because the module fits so tight. maybe it could be loosened up by some light modifications to the host im not sure.
9289-image.jpg

it is very astatically pleasing! thank you sinner!
thanks guys,
jefferson

Last edited:

Yeah. just got mine in today...it's a REALLY tight fit. might want to polish it down a bit inside or on the module first to make it slip in easier?

So far I've noticed heat dissipation to be decent it's hard to estimate because each diode is alittle different.
An idea I had was maybe to use a stainless brush on a dremal to hone out just a little. OR like we do with bearings the host could be heated with a heat gun/small pen torch and the module could be cooled. The heat would cause the host to expand and the module would slip in better. Even alittle would help.
I ordered two hosts, one single and one double battery so these tricks I might try on the second build.
Thoughts~
Jefferson

Last edited:

Tmack

I actually choose to go with a m140. The 9mm would have been hell on the tiny cells and all that power would be wasted with very short runtime. 1.7w is plenty for these. :)

I will have a 1.7w 445nm and around 500mw 405 in the two cell host finished. Both using x drives.
Only 6 more to go! Lol

IsaacT

Does the brass Focus Adapter come with the pen? That laser looks sick with it!

Why not use arctic silver thermal grease to slide it in, wouldn't that help?

Ya I'm sure that would work too but So far I have built just this laser. I have the larger host I still might put a 9mm diode in. Work and other projects have been keeping me busy.
Also there have been some questions if 2x 10440s could handle the power requirements.

Last edited:
Sorry to post on a sort-of-old-thread! but I have a question for the OP:

So for this build, how does the driver get negative power? I don't see it connected to the host anywhere but I'm sure it is somewhere. Or does it have something to do with the case pin on the diode? (I'm assuming the spring on the driver is for positive contact.)

As you can tell, I'm still pretty new (n00b) in the laser world :p

Thanks,
Adam

it goes through the case. It travels into the diode through the tailcap and then the body casing.

You can't see it in the picture but there is a white jumper wire from the case of the diode to the negative input terminal on the driver. All three pins are used on this diode here.

You can't see it in the picture but there is a white jumper wire from the case of the diode to the negative input terminal on the driver. All three pins are used on this diode here.

Ahh - thank you! So the + and - diode pins are soldered to the driver, the driver + input is a spring the the +battery, and the driver - input is connected to the diode's case pin. Thanks!!