Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A quick dual review - Lifetime Hosts!

Need to share a couple builds I've done - one was tonight and one was a couple weeks ago...not a full step-by-step this time, but want ya'll to see the pretty things Rich has made!

The 1st host was a 1x10440. I've been making a lot of little boost-driven lasers, and wanted something a bit more powerful. Since we are talking just 1 10440, a boost was still the driver, but I went and maxed out a Pico, then a Flex - with a NUGM01. At around 1.4A - it puts out a decent amount of light!

IMAG2270 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG2271 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

With a 3 element glass lens, I'm getting around 500mW of 520nm.

Tonight I put together the Copper 1x14500. Wanting to do something I hadn't done before - I opted to go with 2x14250s and use an Astralist Superdrive V. I have SO many blue builds, I went with another NUGM01 - this time set to 2.2A :wave:.

A couple pics of both hosts and both hosts in action!

IMAG2494 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG2496 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG2512 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG2509 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG2501 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG2504 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

Love both of these hosts. The white 10440 obviously will not run very long without overheating, but its fun to have a little white pointer putting out some serious beams!

The modules will likely not live in these hosts forever, but I can say these hosts will bring me much joy no matter what diode/driver/battery combo goes into them. Thanks Lifetime!!!

I like that copper too, white is oh so nice also, preference for the copper though. I like to offset how deep the DTR module is inserted into the host and adjust things so I only have a small gap between the host, and the tip of the pointer when at infinity focus, looks better that way to me.

Yes, I use a 12mm module with the aluminum back drilled out and a piece of black cardstock inside to soak up any splash, and I lock it down at infinity focus, it hides the lens flare and is set for the best beam. But I have also done what you said and set the bottom out of the thumb adjuster for infinity too. :beer:

Rich made the top heat sink, it has a copper insert that I wanted to show.

12204-100mw-520-w-flare-hider.jpg

12231-520-flare-hider-set-infinity.jpg

Last edited:

GSS

They sure are pretty:):beer:
Initially I "think" Lifetime bought his first lathe to build some heatsinks:shhh: and a few focus knob's. He makes it so easy now to get them that you wouldn't believe me that just a few years ago a custom sink was an effort to find:bowdown:

Rich, can you powder coat CU? Why not coat a CU host even the same color to stop the need to constantly polish..I have to take a look at your sales thread and see if you have done one.:)

Last edited:
@RedCowboy - I've made up some simple card stock "splash guards" after seeing your suggestion a while back - just wrapping it around a 12mm module. So I can slide those over a standard 12mm focus ring - and they work GREAT. However, I am now grasping what you are doing here with the drilled out 12mm module...BRILLIANT. Way to use that noggin - Reps when possible. :bowdown:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Those are sone nice looking builds, Lew, both of Lifetimes host are gorgeous; copper is always a winner, and I'm glad that I'm starting to see white hosts being made available again.
:gj: and thanks for sharing! :yh:

Hi Lew,
Awesome builds and choice of WL too big green. You did a nice job on those hosts enjoy was my pleasure buddy. And I want to thank all the rest of the members here for the encouraging words greatly appreciated .
Oh GSS I tried a sample of high gloss powder coating on some CU it gives it a slight tint to the CU check it out. A comparison from raw CU and CU coated with high gloss powder coating
Rich:)

Attachments

• CEB5F8E6-F83C-49C6-97F8-E7A933393728.jpeg
    CEB5F8E6-F83C-49C6-97F8-E7A933393728.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 798686B6-026D-4F93-8DE1-BDAA2EB668F3.jpeg
    798686B6-026D-4F93-8DE1-BDAA2EB668F3.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 21
  • C1EDCECF-134E-4D15-9828-A161D143FA18.jpeg
    C1EDCECF-134E-4D15-9828-A161D143FA18.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Rich, I've noticed that slight color change also, when I've used clear spray coatings (acrylic, laquer)for my copper sinks and things.
I always do a sample first to see if I'll like it, but overall, I think the altered color is worth it for the protection that you get.

GSS

Rich, I've noticed that slight color change also, when I've used clear spray coatings (acrylic, laquer)for my copper sinks and things.
I always do a sample first to see if I'll like it, but overall, I think the altered color is worth it for the protection that you get.
So the first sample is spray on clear?
Either way can't tell the difference and the different tint looks looks fine:)
How long has it been since you did the test pieces and i'm sure its well worth it keeping it from tarnishing.

I have to say the Copper host FEELS fantastic. Not too bulky yet feels solid throughout.
I do think I want to put something on it to protect it - what's the general consensus on 'after market' applications?

Acrylic? Everbrite? I have no clue :D

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi Lew, I've used a lot of different coatings such as enamal, laquer, and acrylic, in both a gloss and matte (flat) finish depending on the look that I was after.

These are usually applied before assembly though; what I use on bare copper, aluminum, and SS that hasn't been coated, is a polish called "Mothers", which I've posted about before somewhere on LPF, but can't seem to find it now.

It is usually found in automotive stores for use as a wheel polish, IMO, it's a great polish, it's some good $hit! :yh:

gUjjAAY.jpg