Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A new green and red laser source!

JLSE

Will this be the birth of the green diode??? [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

hmm not sure, they don't mention if the green laser is DPSS or not (although I doubt it is DPSS due to the fact of how unstable DPSS lasers are)

Hmm, the disc space is a little under 4 terabytes so I guess that's pretty cool.

But even better than the storage space, just imagine the HVD burners! High power green AND red diodes in there! I can't wait till this technology is released. :cool: ;D

It supposedly uses a 1W green... Probably DPSS. It's the cheapest and most available source of green at high powers.
There is no way this technology is practical for commercial use. The average consumer is not going to justify spending more than $15,000 to store 4TB of data they don't have. Maybe for archives, but I don't see this becoming a commercial technology. To make this practical, they'd need to make a cheaper means of producing a green laser.
It would be kick ass, but it's not going to be around for a while. And It won't be cheap.

Perhaps the disk could be used for some kind of 3-d holographic movie viewing. Imagine Dolly Parton in 9 to 5.

RA_pierce said:
To make this practical, they'd need to make a cheaper means of producing a green laser.

And that's exactly how the industry works :) If this is adopted up, there will be huge demand to make it far cheaper. Pretty soon we'll get diode (not DPSS) green lasers, and they'll be as cheap as nails!

So anything like this can only be good for us laser peoples :)

Switch

Cool.But if the green laser is 1W for reading.....hmmm :-? I'm guessing there is no HVD burner yet.If in a few years these will be the same price as a 6x BR burner, our hobby is gonna be at a whole new different level. ::) CNI is going to start making super highpowered handheld units.It would be awesome.

TMR

maan the best source for red , green and even blue diodes will be laser tv.
altough pretty expensive but the lasers sure will have some nice power. and im sure there will be plenty of broken tvs available for low money.

and the next step will be: laser projectors. used like normal projectors or as tiny versions in mobilephones.

woohoo. cant w8 for the future ^^

it may not be meant for regular consumers in the near future. But im sure this new advancement puts more of a push towards discovering a way of creating a green diode. Id say that there are numerous people working on it as we speak...

annd, imagine the capacity a game could hold once microsoft/playstation develop a console able to harness this new advancement

Zom-B

MarioMaster said:
hmm not sure, they don't mention if the green laser is DPSS or not (although I doubt it is DPSS due to the fact of how unstable DPSS lasers are)
I think they will use laboratory grade green lasers at first.

O...M...G.....

This..... is...... epic.....

Lol, i wonder when they will make hot pink lasers....

Switch

Spyderz20x6 said:
O...M...G.....

This..... is...... epic.....

Lol, i wonder when they will make hot pink lasers....

Lol, pink is not a spectral colour :p A very bright blu-ray might look pink side by side some ordinary green/red/blue/blu-ray lasers.

WHAT??? Yes it is! Oh, wait, no....

Red (check)
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet (check)

So, we still need to make orange, yellow, green, blue, and indigo laser diodes. Pink would be between red and orange, wouldn't it? I am a bad person, i forgot about the spectrum! ;D