Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

A Guide To Buying Your First Green Laser

If you want some FREE 18650 batteries, tear apart an old battery pack from a LAP-TOP PC. A lot of them contain 18650 batteries, & even though the battery pack might not run your PC, chances are that there is only one or two cells inside that aren't holding a charge, but the others SHOULD be good. Just put them on your DMM to find out if they're good or not. FYI----- (DMM = Digital Multi-Meter)

If you want some FREE 18650 batteries, tear apart an old battery pack from a LAP-TOP PC. A lot of them contain 18650 batteries, & even though the battery pack might not run your PC, chances are that there is only one or two cells inside that aren't holding a charge, but the others SHOULD be good. Just put them on your DMM to find out if they're good or not. FYI----- (DMM = Digital Multi-Meter)

I would do this, but don't have access to any old laptop batteries. Although it makes sense now that RadioHack and BatteriesPlus kept coming up with laptop batteries for the search. I may be able to find one, though. I have a DMM from my dad. He's an electrical safety engineer for a hardware company.

Where's my mom's laptop? :whistle:

If you want old lap-top batteries, you can try going to your local computer repair stores & ask them if they have any old PC batteries that you can have. They'll probably give you a few for free. If they don't or won't all they can say is NO or BEAT IT PUNK HA HA HA !!! J/K Anyway, try around to any computer repair store. That would be your best bet for some free, used, PC batteries.............. rob

I went back to Batteries Plus and they did just that for me. After a simple disassembly, I had some partially charged batteries. I popped them in the laser, and... Success!
So, advice to anyone who needs 18650s... Find an old laptop battery! You can get one for free from a battery/electronics store, and once you tear it apart, you have your batteries.
Anywho, the beam is impressive, as is the burning ability, and overall brightness of the laser. I have not tested the output yet, but will deliver that promised review in my free time.

I'm happy to have been of some assistance to you. Did you get a 6 or a 9 cell battery pack, & how many of the batteries in the pack were OK to use ? Just curious ???

I'm happy to have been of some assistance to you. Did you get a 6 or a 9 cell battery pack, & how many of the batteries in the pack were OK to use ? Just curious ???

It was actually an 8 cell battery, which was weird. And five out of the eight still held a charge! Are these batteries ok to recharge with my normal charger? Either way, my rechargeable came in the mail with my charger (no true label...) and after I charged up the battery, I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Or your respective Winter holiday. :)

I will say so far that the worst aspect of this laser is the beam divergence. I will also say that's the only negative aspect of this laser I've noticed so far. I bet I could even fix that with some lens work. The threads on the cap line up perfectly after being worn in, and the focusing ring spins with ease. I plan on doing my review of the laser this weekend with my dad (the electrical safety engineer... :eg:) so will post a new thread then.

I still haven't found the "new thread" button.
A little help?
:thanks:

To start a "NEW THREAD" Go to the Forums MAIN PAGE & click on the TITLE of the section you want to post in. Under the "SEARCH BOX", on the left hand side, you'll see a box with the words, " NEW THREAD " in it. Just click on those words & follow the prompts to start a new thread.

To start a "NEW THREAD" Go to the Forums MAIN PAGE & click on the TITLE of the section you want to post in. Under the "SEARCH BOX", on the left hand side, you'll see a box with the words, " NEW THREAD " in it. Just click on those words & follow the prompts to start a new thread.

Ahh, thank you! I feel like an idiot. What are some things people would like to see with my "275mW" laser? Just a few test ideas.

No need to feel like an idiot, you're still a NOOBIE & don't know your way around the Forum yet. Don't be so down on yourself, just 'cause you're new.
About your laser shots, go to the "MULTIMEDIA" & "EXPERIMENTS & MODIFICATIONS" Sections, & read through them to get some ideas. You're sure to find some there that you can try............................. rob

I hope to transcend my n00bhood.
Thanks for the help, I'll look at what some others have done to test their lasers, and get some ideas. I don't have an LPM, though. I'd get a laserbee, but I'm betting it's pretty pricey. Any thoughts?

If you want to send it to me, I'll meter it on MY LASERBEE for you, but you gotta pay the S&H fees both ways. I live in INDIANA--------------- rob

I live in Illinois, so shipping to Indiana wouldn't be bad. And I wouldn't mind having my laser tested by a reputable LPF member with a Laserbee.
I'll take pictures and do my personal tests on beam divergence, burning, heating and cooling, etc. this weekend, then send it to you when I get my next paycheck.

*EDIT- That'd be in a little under two weeks, btw.

I will, but before then, Rayfoss is shipping me another safety plug/ring for my laser. Mine was... Misplaced. While I was charging the battery and looking at all the parts. Oh well, they are sending it, along with another pair of goggles, to me tomorrow. So I will have to wait a bit longer for the review and to send it out there. I'll PM you when I can send it. I'm excited to see what this thing really puts out, it definitely meets my expectations for my first REAL laser.

I will, but before then, Rayfoss is shipping me another safety plug/ring for my laser. Mine was... Misplaced. While I was charging the battery and looking at all the parts. Oh well, they are sending it, along with another pair of goggles, to me tomorrow. So I will have to wait a bit longer for the review and to send it out there. I'll PM you when I can send it. I'm excited to see what this thing really puts out, it definitely meets my expectations for my first REAL laser.

What's the safety ring? I've never heard of that before, do you mean the shutter?

What's the safety ring? I've never heard of that before, do you mean the shutter?

No, it's a piece that goes into the laser with a small key ring attached to it, without which the laser doesn't function. Another safety feature, I suppose. Attempts at keeping innocent babies from blinding themselves. :thinking:
A bit annoying, if you ask me...
Back to my 405 nm pointer for now. =[
Faona said, "We will ship the parcel out to you in today by UPS.
Tracking number is HXXXXXXXXXX. It should arrive your side on the coming Tuesday."
Ahh, how I love the Chinese way of slaughtering the English language. ;)

I'm also getting another pair of goggles, so I can burn stuff without setting fire to my friend's retinas.

Back