Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A build even Kipkay would be proud of!

Here it is, my first build!
As you can see, i used the highest quality of parts money could buy.
4844-first-homebrew-clearly-using-highest-quality-parts-money-can-buy.jpg

It uses the red\IR diode from a PHR sled in a stock Aixiz module.

I even screwed the switch into the side... :crackup:
4846-first-homebrew-clearly-using-highest-quality-parts-money-can-buy.jpg

Beamshot:
4845-first-homebrew-clearly-using-highest-quality-parts-money-can-buy.jpg

Oh wait, what's that? No beam? :shhh::shhh::shhh: I was hoping nobody would notice!! :undecided:

Total cost for this build:
Host - $0.00 (free with a syringe of thermal compound i bought)
Diode - $0.00 (given to me free... it's the red\IR from the PHR sled so you guys can fish it out of the bin of some laser user)
Battery snap - $0.00
Battery holder - $0.00
Switch - $0.00
Nuts & bolts - $0.00 (all got from my school's design & technology department)
Batteries - $0.00 ("borrowed" them from my dad's big box of batteries)
Wire, solder, electricity given to the soldering iron - $negligible
So the total cost of this build was just slightly over $0.00

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Btw, there's these things everyone keeps talking about... drivers and heatsinks. What are they for? :na:

EDIT: If people are interested, i'll release a build kit of this, complete with host, module, battery snap, holder, switch and the nuts & bolts. I'll decide on a price depending on how interested people are. :D:crackup::D

Last edited:

Beamshot is brutal, however you may want to tune the power down in order not to overheat the driver, also lasers tend to get dangerous at those power levels.

:crackup:

How do you change the batteries? :D

anselm

kipkay-style driver (=just wire), eh?:crackup:
That "host" certainly is something that never crossed my mind!

Who needs a heatsink anyway at this kind of power level?

I only see one downside: would crumple up in your pocket!

mfo

I love how the box says "DIY" on it as well. Freaking classic, +1 to you for this.

HaHa that's Great...Now don't forget to make the youtube video....Hail the new KipKay.:bowdown::bowdown:

Cool :)
awesome idea for a host
The laser is wonky but other than that Perfect :)
:crackup: :beer:

@Eudaimonium: The cardboard backing slides out, then i can disconnect the battery pack, pull the batteries out, go steal some more from my dad, then put 'em in, slide the back in again, flick the switch and gasp in awe at the wonderous power of the PHR-red.

@anselm & brightspark: How dare you suggest there is a fault in this laser!? This laser is virtually perfect! The only fault in it is that the host is not so easy to get ahold of! It's waterproof, hammer-proof, thermite-proof... heck, it's even Kipkay-proof!

Considering making a 445nm build in the same host. Good idea? :p

@Coherent Light: In all seriousness, i was considering making a kipkay parody series. Still might do it when i get time.

Last edited:
I wonder how long it will be until kipkay rises from the dead again :D

He only comes on here when someone mentions his name :D

TTerbo

when will this kit be available?
and will it be $0 with free shipping?
if so im in :D

Do i hear a GB? :whistle:

@BrightSpark: Apparently if you look in the mirror and say "Kipkay burns retina" three times he appears behind you with a Spyder III Arctic and penetrates you with it.

@TTerbo: Hmm... well, i'll give you the driver and heatsinks i used at that price. To add the rest in will cost you a few dollars more. And shipping won't be included... except for the driver & heatsinks.

TTerbo

Hmmm what version kipkay driver is it?
i like the 2.0, the addition of a resistor :D

@TTerbo: Hmmm... no, still mark 1 w/o. Maybe i should add that in. In fact, i'll make a new Kipkay driver, version 2.1, using a pot instead of a resistor! Then i can even pot-mod it!! ;)

JaiNobeZ said:
So the total cost of this build was just slightly over $0.00
plus the aixiz head, the diode etc. ;)
great build dude! I just love the DIY. I'm not being sarcastic, I like the way people improvise things. My personal first build (before LPF) was a LOC directly on the sled (with the focusing lens from the burner removed/pulled out brutally), glued with silicone in a 2*aa holder.. direct drove. With a momentary switch and IR/RED selection switch. After that, LM317 + LOC on a plastic playing cards box. ;P

plus the aixiz head, the diode etc. ;)
great build dude! I just love the DIY. I'm not being sarcastic, I like the way people improvise things. My personal first build (before LPF) was a LOC directly on the sled (with the focusing lens from the burner removed/pulled out brutally), glued with silicone in a 2*aa holder.. direct drove. With a momentary switch and IR/RED selection switch. After that, LM317 + LOC on a plastic playing cards box. ;P

I explained where i got the diode and module. I paid for neither of them. The only expense i paid was for the wire and the solder.

Your builds sound fun. Take some pictures and we can make a "funny builds" thread.

I was basically practicing pressfitting & soldering. I succeeded in pressfitting and soldering so i had a junk diode which worked. I didn't want to immediately smash it out of the module, so i looked around my room for anything i could use as a host - the more ridiculous, the better. I first tried a Smarties tube but there wasn't enough space in there.

Last edited: