Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

9 Amp PT-54 Phlatlight Maglite Mod!

jayrob

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

madmacmo I'm getting a red a blue and a green 20W one of those ill right a review when they arrive and let y'all know

I also got 2 white.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayrob

Looks pretty awesome...

Make sure to show all the details in a tutorial thread! :cool:

Fenzir

sorry to be late from the party, but are those size heatsinks for sale somewhere?

jayrob

I can make the heatsink, but I just need to know if it will be for the same driver...

Also, take a look at the pictures in my XM-L T6 thread to see that the bulb stem needs to be cut off of the switch in order to make room for the heatsink:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...ltage-monitor-parts-complete-light-59581.html

That build uses a set screw in the heatsink, but this build has the set screw in the side of the host. (hides under the head when screwed on)

I could do it that way for this one, because of the extra length of the heatsink that I made for this set up...

Also, no room for a voltage monitor in this build. So that's why I'm using the protected 32650's. Which barely fit.

If you want the host/heatsink/tail cap mod, or complete build, just send me a private message! :)

Awesome green build! Can't imagine taking a hit in the dark from that beast. Wow, imagine a focusing lens set up with that. It would be difficult to manage the heat though, so short duty cycle. Kudos! :)

What would be the net result in colminating these to a small beam such as lasers? That beam shot appears way brighter than any laser that is unfocussed. But what does 10 watts of near 532nm light from an led end up focused down? Just a thought from a sleepy and tired mind tonight.

D

Deleted member 16589

lazerman121 - do let us know how the 20W RGBs deliver.

I ended up not getting those. He tried to change the price on me at the last minute. At first he said he would combine shipping cost. However when I went to order he denied saying that and wanted $45 for just 3.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

jayrob

What would be the net result in colminating these to a small beam such as lasers? That beam shot appears way brighter than any laser that is unfocussed. But what does 10 watts of near 532nm light from an led end up focused down? Just a thought from a sleepy and tired mind tonight.

I'm no expert on the subject, but it's a different kind of light vs a laser...

The cone of divergence of a laser is extremely small compared to a flashlight, and I don't think there is a way to make a flashlight as tight as a laser beam. That would be cool though...

Awesome green build! Can't imagine taking a hit in the dark from that beast. Wow, imagine a focusing lens set up with that. It would be difficult to manage the heat though, so short duty cycle. Kudos! :)

Yeah it's blinding!

About being able to focus it. That's a great function of this build, but honestly, once you adjust it to the best spot (throw), you will most likely just leave it there. There is a lot of bright 'spill', that won't be changed much by de-focusing it...

Last edited:
Excellent work! I wonder what the white, UV, or blue LED's would look like.

A flashlight will always have worse divergence then a laser, because it emits multiple wavelengths. Since each wavelength has a different focal length, it can't be focused efficiently with a lens. Lasers of any given wavelength will only have one focal length, because of their monochromaticy. That's why a laser always has better divergence.

However, I remember seeing a post about an engineer, who built a flashlight capable of making a discernible spot on a cloud, 4 miles away.

EDIT: I found it.. http://hacknmod.com/hack/diy-super-powered-flashlight-beam/

AAlasers

Last edited:

jayrob

Oh I've seen that before!

Yeah that guy just had so much power that the beam looked like a giant laser or something...

Probably need a wheel barrow to carry it around in... :crackup:

jayrob

Update - new picture...

I got my other reflector today, so I could try both lights side by side now.

The green totally washes out the red as can be seen in this picture:

Phlatlight%2013.jpg

But it's interesting what happens to the picture if I just shop out -62% blue...

Not much change to the red or green, but it changes the washed out center to yellow...

Phlatlight%2014.jpg

Visually, it's washed out though...

But at close distance (like 5'), you can put the spots together and get yellow...

Last edited: