Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

8X Diode Murder fund

is anyone thinking about a murder fund for one of those new 500mW rated blu-ray diodes coming out? I'm thinking 600mA.

HIMNL9

@ IgorT: this is a problem that occasionally happens on VB script boards ..... you attach an image, it result attached, also in the preview, but at the second preview, or when you post, no more attached image ..... it happened also to me, a pair of times, and also in other places that uses VB, so it's not a problem of this particular forum, but a problem inside VB scripts.

Wondering if is something related to some database "glitch", but as far as i know, it happens from also old versions, so, or the developers have never looked at it, or until now they found no specific causes for this ..... also cause it happens very few times and randomly, not on regular basis.

IgorT

is anyone thinking about a murder fund for one of those new 500mW rated blu-ray diodes coming out? I'm thinking 600mA.

Which 500mW rated diodes? CW or Pulsed rating?

I haven't heard anything of that type, altho i haven't had much time to read the forum latelly, so i might have missed something. :thinking:

IgorT

@ IgorT: this is a problem that occasionally happens on VB script boards ..... you attach an image, it result attached, also in the preview, but at the second preview, or when you post, no more attached image ..... it happened also to me, a pair of times, and also in other places that uses VB, so it's not a problem of this particular forum, but a problem inside VB scripts.

Actually, it wasn't in the preview (and dissapearing upon posting), it was posted, it was definitelly up there, same way it is now.

But then i reloaded the page to check for new posts and it was gone... Only thing i may have done wrong was that i forgot to close the Attachment Manager window until after the post was up. Maybe it had something to do with that?

HIMNL9

No, theorically, once you have uploaded the attachment, it become stored and get assigned an address, and this address is managed from a database, related to the post in which it was attached ..... maybe the database lost the related fields (or they got corrupted), and in this case, the images are still hosted in the server, but the script cannot find them anymore, so you need to reload them a second time ..... or just the images folder for the attachments had a problem and lost them, maybe for a restore after a "glitch" (sorry, don't know how to call them otherwise ..... randomly malfunctions ?)

In both the cases, the old links are not working, for this you need to reload them again.

Anyway, yes, it's only occasional and random, but can happens also that you load them, they are in the post, and after a refresh, they get lost ..... i also forgot to close attachments window, and 99% of the times nothing happens, so probably is not due to this.

daguin

Which 500mW rated diodes? CW or Pulsed rating?

I haven't heard anything of that type, altho i haven't had much time to read the forum latelly, so i might have missed something. :thinking:

This info is simply from one of those "Sony has developed" type press releases. They are not available yet (except as, probably, a research sample).

Anybody got $8000 sitting around gathering dust?

Peace,
dave

This info is simply from one of those "Sony has developed" type press releases. They are not available yet (except as, probably, a research sample).

Anybody got $8000 sitting around gathering dust?

Peace,
dave

yeah. Sony won't give one of these to you unless they think you A:will use it for production and B:have lots of money. But I'm not sure if it's CW or pulsed.

We reached 100 hours, the experiment is over and the diode lived, now what?

Crank up the current and see how long it survives? :whistle:

I think we decided to leave to current alone... because if we know how long this diode DOES last, it will give a more clear idea of how high to set the next candidate.. we shouldn't be changing variables in the middle of the experiment. The experiment ends when the diode is dead.

I think we decided to leave to current alone... because if we know how long this diode DOES last, it will give a more clear idea of how high to set the next candidate.. we shouldn't be changing variables in the middle of the experiment. The experiment ends when the diode is dead.

The experiment was to try and kill the diode and see if it'll make 100 hours of cycling. We are there and the diode is still kicking.

I would like to see if it lasts another 10 hours at 400ma. I'll bet it does.

Yes, the second diode will have a higher current but only slightly higher. They won't go crazy, that's for sure.

Personally I have no desire for a diode that lasts 100 hours. I would say 10-20 hours is plenty of useful life so wht not run it at a current that'll give that?

The experiment was to try and kill the diode and see if it'll make 100 hours of cycling. We are there and the diode is still kicking.

I would like to see if it lasts another 10 hours at 400ma. I'll bet it does.

Yes, the second diode will have a higher current but only slightly higher. They won't go crazy, that's for sure.

Personally I have no desire for a diode that lasts 100 hours. I would say 10-20 hours is plenty of useful life so wht not run it at a current that'll give that?

yeah, 10-20 hours is plent so after 100 hours why test it at that current any more? We should figure out the MAX you can run it and still get 100 hours of life. Don't we want the best power/price ratio?

I would like to ramp one up until it pops and see where that happens.

Kicking up the current on this particular diode will not tell us anything. It will only tell us how long this diode can last at 400ma AFTER being at 300ma for 120+ hours. Its not useful information. We discussed this already... You never change variables during an experiment. Keep the variables the same the whole time, and you'll get the most useful information from the experiment. Keep in mind that this diode was the runt of the pack...

Finding out how long a weak 8X will last can give us a chance to see what the "worst" of the pack is yet capable of.

Waiting for this one to die, and then running a separate diode at a higher current will be worth the information gained.

If you want to see how an already tortured diode behaves after 100+ hours of cycling when set to 400ma, then you can always try it yourself. Igor will be able to help decide what to do with it at this point.

I think the experiment was over at 100 hours. Now that we still have a working diode it's time to ramp it up till she pops!

daguin

IgorT has already stated that he would like to watch it until it dies to track the degradation. Changing anything now will NOT tell us ANYTHING about how a "new" diode will act in a laser.

If it refuses to die, we can award it to a contributor or something. Maybe IgorT can build a laser and sell it at a discount to buy another diode to test.

I think the experiment was over at 100 hours. Now that we still have a working diode it's time to ramp it up till she pops!

It might be exciting, but the info gathered will be useless.

Peace,
dave

Ill donate 10$ if the second diode still needs to be payed for, but I dunno if it does, cuz all the edits on the main post confuse me :undecided:
Let me know what I can do