Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

8x BR DIODES

strange.. maybe the page didn't load completely. I see you still have 3..

jayrob

Great job FrancoRob!

All 8X testers give their information to FrancoRob! :)

And especially the new so3 diode testers...
Jay

Last edited:
After seeing the thread in the reviews section about a possible 8x sled from Kendall at hightechdealz.com, and seeing the results that Dave (daguin) got, I ordered in two of these sleds. The seller was great to deal with, I will have no hesitation in going back to him in the future. However, I feel that Kendall's supplier may have let him down ...

I carefully removed the diode from sled #1. This sled had some small impact damage near the bluray diode. Unfortunately, in my excitement, I did not photograph this damage. Why would I? Sleds are known to be rejects with small flaws that prevent their incorporation into a finished product, but usually contain a good diode. Well, this diode failed at 180 mA in my test setup. It was well heatsinked and was run off the same bench current regulator that I use to test any diode that draws less than 3A. Max current was set at 300mA so I could not overcurrent my diodes. Well, despite precautions, #1 LEDed at 180mA, never producing more than 130mW on my Coherent 210 thermal LPM. I shook my head, and was glad that I bought two sleds ...

So, I unpack #2 from its' package. I see a problem immediately! There is some kind of serious chemical corrosion all over the sled, most severe in the area of the bluray diode! I extract the diode anyway and set it up for test. It fails at 140mA !!! LEDed at 140mA! A couple of photos attached of the corrosion on number two.

Photo #1 - corrosion near red/ir diodes.

attachment.php

Photo #2 - corrosion near and inside bluray diode pocket.

attachment.php

I hope others do a little better in the 8x sled lottery than I did. In conclusion, I don't feel that this is Kendall's fault, I feel that his supplier sent him a variety of good and bad sleds. I randomly got two bad sleds. In the same test run, I tested 2 diodes GGW 6x from Glenn, both were perfect and powerful, so I don't feel that it is my test process at fault.

Hope this helps ...

Bill.

Attachments

• Aug2209D200 004 [1].jpg
    Aug2209D200 004 [1].jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Aug2209D200 005 [2].jpg
    Aug2209D200 005 [2].jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,070
wow. These BDR-S03 sleds are garbage. I LED'd mine too. I built it completely safe as well. ramped it from 100-300mW but it LED'd the second i turned it on the a few times later. maybe that is why you cant actually buy a BDR-S03 drive anywhere. you have to just buy the sleds because they know they are crap and they never released the actual drive.

Gr8Revealing - Sorry to hear that you had the same rotten luck with these. Well at least the word is getting out that the first batch of these have problems.

I feel bad,bad,bad for you fellas. I know how this feels and man it's epic sad.

I tried to run one of my BDR-S03's at 290mA and it LED'ed - sort of. I ended up with 5mW of coherent output through AixiZ acrylic.

Looks like we got overpriced PHR's. My sleds had corrosion similar to that in billg519's pictures.

I'll use my other like a PHR and let you know the results.

ZRTMWA

So officially, 203 and SW-5584= :) and S03 = :cryyy:? It seems like buying your own 8x Blu ray burner and harvesting the diode from the sled is definitely the best option.

dont forget the LG 8x 's are winners too

once i get my kenometer i will update with all the necessary data to be plotted.

Last edited:

ZRTMWA

dont forget the LG 8x 's are winners too

once i get my kenometer i will update with all the necessary data to be plotted.

Yes by 203 I meant a self harvested diode straight from an 8x burner made by a popular electronics company.

Datasheet updated for Arenared. If some guy want to update/add data, pls PM me.

I love how I'm the only one listed in the graph with a DEAD 8x :-/. I'll make up for it, i have 3 LG 8x's in transit.

MISTERWILLING;

But you're working on the 1st handheld ...

1 Watt Blu-Ray

:whistle:

LarryDFW