Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6x / flexdrive wiring question

Tabish

I found this in the flexdrive manual. (check the tiny attached pic)

So this means:

Diode + to driver + output
Diode - to driver - output

Battery + to driver + input

Battery - to driver - output???

In this case, is the driver - output ALSO acting as the - input???

Thanks for any answers.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 141

In this case the diode is case negative and the negative travels from the battery, to the host, and through the module, through the diode and into the driver.

For you to use this, you have to bend the Case pin down and solder it together with the - pin on the diode.

...and yes, your wiring is correct.
If you go to my modules FS thread and look at the pictures you can see what i mean with the case pin.....the diode in the picture is a phr, which has the same pin-out at your 6x.

The flexdrive is a common ground driver, both the negative input and output are connected electrically. Test for yourself: Put your multimeter in continutity mode or resistance mode and check between the negative output and the negative input, those two contacts are continuous, with zero resistance (or very close to it) between them.

Tabish

Help clear this up for me a bit please.

There are 2 individual circuits right?

If so, the negative output on the driver is being shared by both circuits?:

-The circuit which powers the driver
-The circuit which powers the diode

In this case the diode is case negative and the negative travels from the battery, to the host, and through the module, through the diode and into the driver.

For you to use this, you have to bend the Case pin down and solder it together with the - pin on the diode.

...and yes, your wiring is correct.
If you go to my modules FS thread and look at the pictures you can see what i mean with the case pin.....the diode in the picture is a phr, which has the same pin-out at your 6x.

Tabish

The flexdrive is a common ground driver, both the negative input and output are connected electrically. Test for yourself: Put your multimeter in continutity mode or resistance mode and check between the negative output and the negative input, those two contacts are continuous, with zero resistance (or very close to it) between them.

AHhh, Thanks !!!

Help clear this up for me a bit please.

There are 2 individual circuits right?

If so, the negative output on the driver is being shared by both circuits?:

-The circuit which powers the driver
-The circuit which powers the diode

Current doesn't have to flow between the negative input and negative output within the flex drive (it can, but it doesn't have to). The driver only requires that the negative input and negative output (since they're electrically continuous) be at the same potential/same voltage as the negative end of the battery AND the negative end of the diode.

Battery negative, diode negative, and driver negative all have to be connected, but the 2 driver negative contacts are one and the same on the flexdrive.

Last edited:

Tabish

Got it. We were typing those posts the same time so missed your last one lol.

drlava

yes, no problem there, as long as the battery can handle it :)

jayrob

You must also consider the forward voltage of the diode...

drlava, he is asking his question is regards to a 12X blu-ray build. It may be asking for over 6 volts at 412mA's.

drlava

I haven't seen a 12x current/voltage chart yet, but you are right it won't run at 412mA IF the diode voltage is over 6V. In that case you'll need to set the current at a point there the diode voltage is just under 6V. (or wait for the LavaBoost)

daguin

I haven't seen a 12x current/voltage chart yet, but you are right it won't run at 412mA IF the diode voltage is over 6V. In that case you'll need to set the current at a point there the diode voltage is just under 6V. (or wait for the LavaBoost)

With the 8X's we're running ~5.8V at 360mA

Peace,
dave

Thanks to all for the info- hopefully it will save some 6x diodes from sudden death(LEDed)

How do i set the current just under 6 v? All i really know how to do with these is set the Ma. (Noob I admit it)