Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6x Blu

Re: 4x Blu

Nice, not bad divergence at all.

I already have my violet fix for now (don't want to just too far ahead) but just curious, how much are you selling that thing?

Hey drlava, i have my LG 4x bluray LD burner, is it the same setup as make here? :-/what do you suggest the right current i may need for this?, im using DDL style driver, with 3pcs. of RCR123A 3.6v,can you know what was the highest output at quality life for this $X BRLD? thanks. please guide me, i only have one 4x BR driver. :)

jayrob

I'll tell you what I would do! (What I WILL do, soon) If that diode is from this drive:
LG Electronics GGW-H20L (NOT this drive: GGC-H20L - big difference)
And using a DDL style driver with 3 X 3.6 volt batteries. Judging from this excellent graph:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1203129030/30#42
I'm going to start mine (when I get it...soon) out at 100mA's and see what the power is. If it is running in harmony with drlava's graph, then maybe turn it up to try to get about 90mW's!
Jay

P.S. drlava, please give details on how long of run times your testing was @ over 100mA's. Did it get hot at 130mA's? Did you go any higher?
Thanks!

drlava

Hi, if you aren't experienced extracting diodes from burners, when it arrives, stop. put it away, and extract some from $25 20x drives. I practiced on 10 other burners and broke 3 in the process early on.

So, practice makes perfect, that's the story here.

the BRLD is the didoe all by itself under the heatsink.

It ran at 100mW overnight no problem, no changes.

hi dr lava i actually build a red open laser already used it for a month, i only need to know the location of the BRLD, and if the configuration was the same as jayrob gave me. only little thing i need to build this one, i know your a big help for me, cuz i build the RED burner by the help of Chido and Gazoo, and others. i know you and hemlock maybe the one can give me a chance to perfect my latest project on BR burners, thanks... ;)

jayrob

drlava said:
Hi, if you aren't experienced extracting diodes from burners, when it arrives, stop.  put it away, and extract some from $25 20x drives.   I practiced on 10 other burners and broke 3 in the process early on.  

So, practice makes perfect, that's the story here.  

the BRLD is the didoe all by itself under the heatsink.

It ran at 100mW overnight no problem, no changes.  

Good advice here! I damaged two blu-ray diodes already! OUCH... Hey Hemlock Mike, or drlava. Could you please verify from this edited picture that Hemlock Mike posted, which diode is the blu-ray?
Thanks,
Jay

Attachments

• LG_sled1.jpg
    LG_sled1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 102

I agree on practice!

also, I've found the easiest way to remove diodes from little metal heatsinks (the square things that detach from the housing) is two vice-grips, then twist the metal frame that hols the diode, after a couple slight twisting motions it always falls out~

The BR diode is the one on the left. It has a cube beam shaper in front. The other two are red center and IR right.
My 6x BR follows DrLava's curve closely -- 100 mA seems a good running point. I have pushed to 160 mA for a moment and got about 150 mW out. Heat wasn't a problem. NO TEC.

Mike

jayrob

Hemlock Mike said:
The BR diode is the one on the left.  It has a cube beam shaper in front.  The other two are red center and IR right.  
My 6x BR follows DrLava's curve closely -- 100 mA seems a good running point.  I have pushed to 160 mA for a moment and got about 150 mW out.  Heat wasn't a problem.  NO TEC.

Mike

Thanks Mike! Now....just to make sure. Is this picture of yours correctly pointing to the blu-ray diode now? Please verify this for me. I did change the other picture too, in order to avoid confusion...
Jay

Attachments

• LG_sled_001.jpg
    LG_sled_001.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 80

Jay --

Correct.  The blue has it's own path with servo focused lens.   Look for that neat little cube.  Someday, I'll work with that.  It's a good optic.
The LD's are all in little holders and I had no problems harvesting them but I've had lots of experience.

Mike

jayrob

Thanks much Mike! Knowing exactly which diode is very helpful... Nice to know that you ran it for so long at 100mA's too...
Jay

hi hemlock is it the same sled on LG 4xBluray burner drive model GBW-H10N? please clear me up for this, thanks.

I was mistookin' on my post.  It is actually called a 6x and it is a GGW-H20L.  Anything else is a lesser drive.

I corrected the subject line
Mike

hi hemlock anyway, i just like to know if my model GBW-H10N LG 4x bluray burnerdrive has the same sled as yours, thanks.