Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Re: O-like 400mw green - Review

@RA_pierce

You're probably more informed on the topic, but I was under the impression that blue light radiation is actually quite a bit more harmful than other types.

I definitely wouldn't put this laser to skin for any amount of time though... will leave that to the crazy folks;)

So far for comparison I've only had the almost DOA 400mW torch, and cheaper greenies in the 30, 50 and 100-200mW variety. the 1.2W 445nm is ALOT more fun imo...

Radiation?
Lasers emit monochromatic light. That means one wavelength.
So the only radiation a 445nm diode laser emits is 445nm light and blackbody radiation.

Class IV lasers ARE dangerous, though. A few hundreds of milliWatts of 532nm is MUCH more fun than >1W of 445nm IMO.

I was referring to this:
Blue Light Hazard

A reflection alone is hazardous. In my case that would imply no use indoors what so ever since I have a little kid and also a pet in the house. And there are quite a few reflective surfaces.

PS: Not that I use any laser near others of course but this just makes it a LOT more dangerous when testing stuff etc..

Last edited:

@ZapU

Cool mod. Glad you could fix yours that easily. Would this affect only the dot shape or power output as well? I guess I'll have to take a look inside mine.

ZapU

@ZapU

Cool mod. Glad you could fix yours that easily. Would this affect only the dot shape or power output as well? I guess I'll have to take a look inside mine.

Thanks!

I did a quick check with a battery that was not at full charge and got 350mW.
I don't think it should change the output. I'll test it again when it cools down this evening.

@RA_pierce

You're probably more informed on the topic, but I was under the impression that blue light radiation is actually quite a bit more harmful than other types.

Well, according to what I've read, short wavelength light can bleach the pigments in your photoreceptors, making them temporarily insensitive.
This can cause after images, altered color perception of green and blues, and if exposure is long and intense enough, permanent damage can occur.
That does not mean that there is any additional harmful radiation being emitted.

The real danger comes from the power level, not the wavelength (until you get below 390nm). For example, 100mW of 445nm is not likely to damage your eyesight assuming your retina is not directly exposed, but >500mW is much harder on the eyes and does affect color perception if viewed at close range.

So far for comparison I've only had the almost DOA 400mW torch, and cheaper greenies in the 30, 50 and 100-200mW variety. the 1.2W 445nm is ALOT more fun imo...

I don't really burn stuff. I am more into tight, bright beams.
High power 445nm lasers are pretty cool but the beam sucks and it is hard on my eyes. I can't really take my 445 out to play often because I just don't think it's sensible. The only reason I own a Class IV 445 is because I like to take lasers on hiking trips and I needed something to replace my 2.5W portable 808nm which I disassembled because it was way too dangerous. It was my "backup lighter." Lasers are wind-proof so it's really convenient for outdoors. :D

@Zapu - Great job fixing your problem. Now the next step is to tweak the crystals and see if you can't get some more green out. ;)

I was referring to this:
Blue Light Hazard

A reflection alone is hazardous. In my case that would imply no use indoors what so ever since I have a little kid and also a pet in the house. And there are quite a few reflective surfaces.

PS: Not that I use any laser near others of course but this just makes it a LOT more dangerous when testing stuff etc..

Comparing the dangers of a 400mW laser vs a 1W laser is kind of like comparing the danger of a 9mm vs a magnum....

At these power levels the wavelength doesn't really make all that much difference from what I've read. Based on that link the primary concern seems to be with potential danger to eyes, and for eyes you should be using goggles anyway.

@RA_pierce

You beat my googling and research speed! mW amount is a lot more important it seems.

Yeah, of course. I was just saying that there's an added danger related to the wl. All in all they are all dangerous when used unwisely.

@Ricochet

When I learned how stupid I was being with lasers... well I wanted to smack myself. I did actually smack one of my friends.

Not that I wasn't careful to avoid reflections and ever pointed at my or anyone's eyes, but I definitely wasn't cautious enough. Wouldn't be surprised if I have some damage from lasers, not that I can actually see anything being wrong... I have an appointment with an eye doc in a month anyway.

The added danger from reflection is there even at lower powers... and still there with other nm.

The 1W is for inside burning with goggles, or strictly for outside IMO. The 1.2W O-Like produces a pretty cool beam at night imo... Not much of anything at daytime though.

ZapU

Just measured output after realigning lens.

Actually hit 460mW peak while I was trying to turn off the camera flash. :D

DSCF2403.jpg

For 550usd + 50usd for shipping on DL, you can get a commercial 700mW LPM verified unit.
Request them to youtube that particular laser which they are sending to you, and then you LPM it yourself or otherwise, when the unit arrives. The picture says 741mW with the head on, not sure if its the head on but no lens or what (tricks can be done as they are the OEM). Its not cheap, so as for verification of any "power guarantee or your money back".

Will they do that? I Don't know....but for those OEM I have been dealing with, on HID stuff, no issue they are more than happy. Not HK guys, I am sure they will probably not oblige, unless its like dereelights or something and you are getting something expensive.

@ZapU im glad that you fixed your laser, as i show how easy it is to take it apart ;)

Ehmm i fixed mine aswel so to speak , my beam comes out with a smaller angle now , the 4 screws , i turned 2 of them and now my beam comes out pretty straight :)
Just glad my post with the pictures gave some help :) +rep ofcource :)

ZapU can you put your laser focused to infinite on a cd case 2 inch distance and time till it burns trough ? mine takes about 6 seconds.

Thanks.

DAST

ZapU, thank you for the great pics. As for the uncentered looking lens, this is quite the normal case, even with labaratory lasers I saw this. From outside it looks uncentered, but they are still centered optically. Are you sure, the beam has a better shape now? From your pictures, it looks like the dot is more round, but at the same time it could be the laser is turned 90 degrees, and the dot now just looks more round, because of the camera´s perspective, especially at the tree´s bark (like the comet´s tail was on the left hand side first, now the tail is on the bottom side). I don´t want to invalidate your results, just my thoughts.

@weeba2kv

Mine needed exactly 6 seconds as well for getting tru a CD case unfocused. They are obviously close in spec. But that's during the first try. After some seconds it starts to mode hop a whole lot..

Last edited: