Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Re: O-like 400mw green - Review

I'm really leaning towards asking for a refund instead of replacement.

Why not change it for 445nm 1.2W focusable?

I was considering that but after all i've read in this thread I may keep it. It's not the worst of the bunch imho. I've managed to burn trhu a CD case in 1 sec. I guess that should require more than 300mw of green..

I already have their 1.2W :) Actually waiting on a replacement part for it though. Not sure if it is actually 1.2W, but it is by far the most powerful laser I own as of this moment. The one they sent me had some sealant in between the waterproof lens and the focusing lens, only way to get it out was to remove the waterproofing lens, which unfortunately was impossible to do without breaking it.

None of the other lasers that they have right now appeal to me that much. To burn through a CD in 1 sec... I'd keep the one you have if I were you, even the 1W takes 1 second.

I'll be placing an order for an lpm next week, hopefully in two weeks i'll be able to stop guessing about output.

Edit: For the 1.2W they state the output is >1.1W BUT without waterproof lens. According to Susie the waterproof lens can account for a loss of as much as 100mW. So when everything is done, there is a fair chance that the "1.2W" is really a 1W.

Edit 2: For the money, I would get the survival laser, or the one bhwollen has for the sale... and a cheap greenie for the difference :)

Last edited:

1 question : did anyone turned the pot - potentiometer down or up ?

I want to turn the pot down to lower the output ( for a while )

@InfinitusEquitas

Oh, you do.. :) Bit O.T. But.. Just curious. How are the burning abilities / focusing over looong distances on those 1W's?

I guess I hoped this green one was good at exactly that. For burning just at close up I can really use a lighter.

@Ricochet

Keep in mind I don't have that waterproofing lens in place... but without it, the burning abilities are quite good. Burns through a double sided game dvd case in 4-5 seconds, through 1 side in 1-2 seconds max, depending on focus. Put holes through a thick garbage bag from 5-8 feet away, never really tried further than that. Lights match instantly, and it lights a match the "hard way".

One time I left the laser burning through the dvd case to grab phone... left it for maybe 10 seconds max... it burned through the case, and lit a yellow envelope 3-4 feet away on fire... good thing i had a cup of water on hand :eek:

Keep in mind that it doesn't have a round dot shape either... more a rectangle with rounded shorter sides.

I'll see from how far I can burn a garbage bag tonight if you like :D

@ InfinitusEquitas I thought yours was dead ? now it can burn matched the hard way ?

@weeba2kv

My 400mW 532nm is quite dead:( The 1.2W tactical seems fine though. Gave me a scare once, but that was just the battery dying.

Edit... Might make a difference... The beam does come out at an angle.

Sorry i thought you where talking about the green laser

@InfinitusEquitas

That would be really cool, thanks! Perhaps that may be a more suitable gadget for me.

It does sound like it's easier to get hurt / damage something with one though. The thing that made me hesitate was the radiation from that wavelength.. But I guess good goggles take care of that.

Last edited:

@weeba2kv - np I have a friend who calls me Captain Off-Topic :)

@Ricochet - A garbage bag will be burned tonight! I have to say though... this laser... it's kind of hard to enjoy, I mean I'm careful to never look at the dot from a white surface from it. Even from 25 feet, on a white wall the dot is too bright to look at comfortably. I'm gonna invest for some more goggles for friends...

@InfinitusEquitas

That would be really cool, thanks! Perhaps that may be a more suitable gadget for me.

It does sound like it's easier to get hurt / damage something with one though. The thing that made me hesitate was the radiation from that wavelength.. But I guess good goggles take care of that.

Radiation?
Lasers emit monochromatic light. That means one wavelength.
So the only radiation a 445nm diode laser emits is 445nm light and blackbody radiation.

Class IV lasers ARE dangerous, though. A few hundreds of milliWatts of 532nm is MUCH more fun than >1W of 445nm IMO.

Last edited:

ZapU

Well with my o like the actual module itself came out with no pressure force at all, i only screwed the lens housing back in and it went in to far as the module came out like a penny from a bubblegum machine lol.
So mine never made a good solid contact with the host itself , it never even became warm in the hand only after 2 minutes or more.
So i might say , check yours if the module inside comes out easy...:thanks:

fddeo8.jpg

Thanks for the pics! +1

You gave me the motivation to take mine apart to see if I could fix the beam.

You can see how off center the white plastic lens is in mine.
DSCF2385.jpg

DSCF2384.jpg

The glue is semi-hard and can be cut with an exacto knife.
Carefully removed the lens.
DSCF2388.jpg

Thought I was a hot shot by now, so I just centered the lens, glued it on,
and fired it up.

OOPS! Lens practically blocked the beam. Turns out the whole module is not straight. You have to offset the white lens to compensate. Except O-Like didn't get mine right.
Had to mount the laser perfectly vertical in a vise and mark a spot on the ceiling with a plumb bob. The very slightest movement of the lens made a big difference in the beam angle. Put a dab of glue down and used tweezers and long toothpicks to adjust it just so. Then put another dab of glue on the other side to fix position. Here's the finished module. You can see the whole module is not centered in the host.
DSCF2394.jpg

Oh, and here's a shot of the pot (MUST... RESIST... TURNING... POT :oops:)
DSCF2390.jpg

And the results?

Before at 20 meters:
DSCF2381.jpg

After at 20 meters:
DSCF2401.jpg

Before at 30 meters:
DSCF2380.jpg

After at 30 meters:
DSCF2402.jpg

I'm a happy camper now.
Of course, if you screw up doing this, you void your warranty.
Susie is not going to warranty these for crooked beams either.

Here's her comments (read from the bottom up):

Hello Dave

Yes ,it can not focus to round .
but it doesn't matter the dot when you focus the smallest .

If you need beautiful round laser dot ,we suggest this laser torch to you
'
450mW New portable Green laser torch/IR filtered [OLNGL400] - $389.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

It is more stable and dot round

Pls let me know your idea

Thanks
Susie

2011/4/12 David Mathia
Susie

This is the best I can get it. You can never focus it round:

The power is OK now.

Thanks
Dave

On 4/10/2011 1:26 AM, laser O-like wrote:
> Dear David
> You shoud not to see dot shape , it is adjustable ,you adjust it to a small dot .
> no need to see its shape .
> Operate time is not more than 1 minute ,I don't know how long you tested it .
> I think average output power is >350mW
>
> Susie

>
> 2011/4/8 David Mathia
>
> Hi
>
> My laser arrived today.
> The beam is off center and forms a comet shaped beam.
> (picture attached)
> It also is very unstable, mode hops. Sometimes it puts out about 280mW. Other times it
> puts out 440mW.
>
> Please advise
> Thanks
> Dave Mathia
>

Last edited: