Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Re: O-like 400mw green - Review

Seriously, those two lasers aren't exactly comparable. If I was interested in spending 550USD on a laser I'd find a good one. The point is that some of these o-likes actually perform really great, and that at reasonably low price for a "toy". AND with high power. The trick is just to get the good one.

I know you want a cheap High Powerd Greenie ...

But I would go with the Spartan .. There are no problems with the Host , Beam , Mood Hopping .....

It costs much , and the power is weaker (200mw MAX)

I would buy it all over that laser

Spartan Series 200mW Green Handheld Laser :: Green Handheld Laser --- 532nm Laser ----- Spartan Series Lasers :: Handheld Lasers :: Dragon Lasers

For that price you can buy the High power 550mW New portable Green laser torch/IR filtered, which is more than a twice powerful laser.

High power 550mW New portable Green laser torch/IR filtered [OLNGL550] - $559.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

:crackup:

DAST

On the new model the focusing lens is the waterproofing lens. You can't remove it.

If this is really the case with yours, then there are different models out there. But I think it would be a very uncommon way, because the lens needs to be flat towards the waters surface, otherwise it would not be focussed underwater anymore.

Today I wanted to adjust the lens so that it will be focussed if the head is screwed in all the way. This was successfully possible with my 400mw blue ray from o-like. But in this greeny there is another mechanism to focus it:

On the unscrewable head there is a brass tube which adjusts a springed lens in the laser. So there is no focus lens in the top cap, but only a flat glass. Somebody could sand down the tube to make it easier to focus.

I wanted to make a drawing of the inside for you guys, but really no time to do so.... so sorry.:yabbmad:

For the people who want to ship it back: If your laser is not too far below 350 it does not make sense to send it back. Probably you would not get anything better. Angled beams or bad beam shape should be not unexpected if spending 210 bucks only.

I will keep mine for sure, even if it is unstable, the beam shape sucks, and the beam is slightly angled, because I did not spend much. I rather would just order another one from the next batch, or from CNY (if I want to go that far for quality). But now I am heading for the transformable...(just need to pay some huge bills first):cool:

Removing the waterproof-glass: In my opinion insane, as you will not realize any improvement, and you ruin a good waterproof host. By the way, the lens then probably will be harder to clean.

Lens dirt: I recommend to put a cap on its head, or it will be quickly dirty in your pocket. Only make sure to remove it before use....

plexus

I was able to remove the water proof glass aperture without damaging the laser or the glass. This way it can be put back in. Anything in the way of the beam will impart artifacts such as reduced power, beam geometry aberrations, no matter how small. since i will not be using the laser in water, i felt it prudent to remove the glass.

On mine, the waterproofing glass was the only part that was moved when twisting the laser head. To be honest I didn't see any difference with or without the lens.

What I find strange is that mine burns ok for the first 30 sec then suddenly stops. Even though the intencity of the beam remains virtually the same.. Then it may burn some more after a little while. Weird.

What sounds like it could be a drop in power that is visually unnoticeable.
Or a mode shift that distorts the beam so that power density is not concentrated in the center.
Or both.

I have one of these lasers coming in for a thorough review and investigation.
I may take a peek inside and see if I can make any improvements.

What sounds like it could be a drop in power that is visually unnoticeable.
Or a mode shift that distorts the beam so that power density is not concentrated in the center.
Or both.

I have one of these lasers coming in for a thorough review and investigation.
I may take a peek inside and see if I can make any improvements.

That sounds promising. Perhaps there are some cheap components that can be replaced with better ones..

ZapU

Beam is adjusted to narrowest focus below. You can never make it round:

20 meters
DSCF2381.jpg

30 meters
DSCF2380.jpg

Ouch i would return that 1 ,than beam is terrible :(

plexus

yeah mine is not like that. i can focus it to a pretty nice round dot. it has better divergence than the OLNG so what you are getting looks like a fault to me

[This is a very preliminary review].

OK, I got one of these today.

I'm the guy who actually did not want to get one of these, because after Susie canceled my order, I changed trajectory, and my changed trajectory did not include a focusable 532nm device.

Then, Susie cleverly shipped me one without telling me that they had solved their quality problem, or giving me a chance to decline the shipment.

So, it turned up at my home today.

I might actually decide keep it... We shall see.

The host is quite nice. Very unique with regard to what I already own. The focusing is smooth and good.

The unprotected batteries rattle around like crazy in this unit, to the degree that it shuts off if you point it significantly non-horizontal, and the batteries lose contact with the tailcap or the front spring. Fortunately, I have a large collection of rear earth magnetic discs, which I will secure the battery with.

This host appears to have the same unsupported battery contact spring, simply soldered to the driver board, that the OLNG-350 and the 400mw 405 nm units have. Reducing battery rattle, and inserting the battery carefully, is highly recommended.

The dot seems quite good at distance ( > 12 feet). The dot looks round and stable.

At short distances (3 feet) there is an oval artifact that is a few degrees outside of the dot, which rotates with the dot. I believe that it is a refraction from the "waterproof" lens cover. I believe that if I punched out the waterproof lens cover, this artifact would go away.

The diode is somewhat crooked. Not by very much, however, If I did not measure the crookedness of the diode, I would never notice it, and in any case it does not bother me; it is a non-issue, since these kinds of laser units are almost always used by dead-reckoning, and not by laboratory precision.

When rolled the unit on an even surface, the laser dot circumscribes a radius of about .875 inches at 36 inches of range. If I have not screwed up my back-of-the-envelope arithmetic, this means that the diode in my laser is crooked by somewhat less than 2 degrees, probably more like 1.5 degrees

The power seems impressive so far. Using the battery that they sent with the laser out of the box, the beam was visible from above in a daylight room. Before I wore the battery down, I believe that I got a little smoke off of a piece of brown pine furniture at 36 inches, with a well-focused dot.

I think that one must respect the duty cycle of this unit. It gets pretty dang warm in 60 seconds.

I will not have time to touch it again until at least the weekend, as I recently returned from 3 weeks in Japan, and I am completely overwhelmed by catching up with my USA life, and with putting to good use some things from Jayrob and Flamingpyro that arrived just before or while I was in Japan. So, this is it, for now.

However, when I get a lot more back on top of things, I will measure this unit with an LPM and a freshly charged battery (not the one I used out of the box tonight), and report the results.

Although I had scratched this unit off my list, I'm kind of liking it. We shall see what the LPM tells us.

Last edited:

That's good news :) glad your OL400 is up to spec.
cheers

Well with my o like the actual module itself came out with no pressure force at all, i only screwed the lens housing back in and it went in to far as the module came out like a penny from a bubblegum machine lol.
So mine never made a good solid contact with the host itself , it never even became warm in the hand only after 2 minutes or more.
So i might say , check yours if the module inside comes out easy...:thanks:

fddeo8.jpg

Very interesting picture... I didn't take mine apart like that, but it was identical.

mikzip

Just received my first LPM today Laserbee 2,5w USB, been a little bit afraid it was underpowered, but nothing to measure or compare it with before now.

I received the laser about 2 months ago, nice and clear beam, but seems to be mode hopping with different shapes off the dot, now and then.

Have newer been using it for more than the 100 seconds, and it doesn't seem to get anywhere hot.

First i fired it up with the batteries that came with the laser Ultrafire 2800mAh with some use on them, peak 250mw, then full charge and peak 283, then after a 3 min. break peak 222 then a little later peak 245, :mad: i am going to return it, it seems they are back in stock for the time being..

@mikzip

After your review, and many of the others, I'm really not sure I even want a replacement anymore. If it was a solid 300mW even, I would consider it a decent deal, but not for 250mW, which it seems like in your case. This laser model is completely all over the place. Very strange that yours doesn't get hot though.