Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6 Color Beam Shots!

I finally received a working 473nm laser and I had to set up the fog machine.
Normally I try to get beam shots with no smoke but this was a special occasion.
:wave::wave::wave:

The exposure is stepped down, but there is an incandescent light on for these pictures.

These photos feature everything in my signature: 200mW 655nm, 6mW 635nm, 130mW 532nm, 650mW 532nm, 140mW 473nm, 980mW 445nm, and 480mW 405nm.

Enjoy!
CLICK HERE!

Also, check out my review of my PGL-III-C 473nm 80mW:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/ra_pierces-blue-pgl-iii-c-473nm-80mw-review-51193.html#post734961

[/spam]

Last edited:

4772585188_2dd29f612f.jpg

Pure awsomeness...

Great photos, great collection!

EDIT, Hey what's this:
4771945105_97e9bf18ef.jpg

Some different green?
Why not post a pic with both greens? :p One always needs more lasers!

Last edited:
Wow! Awesome rainbow! Only thing missing is 589nm.
This is the first time I see 473nm, 445nm and 405nm in the same picture.

Wow! Awesome rainbow! Only thing missing is 589nm.
This is the first time I see 473nm, 445nm and 405nm in the same picture.
I've seen it before, but not as good photo I think,
Awsome lasers, innit' ?

Hey OP, what are those two different greens, one is big RPL-alike, other is pen style?

I've seen it before, but not as good photo I think,
Awsome lasers, innit' ?

Hey OP, what are those two different greens, one is big RPL-alike, other is pen style?

One is CNI Chrome Pen 532nm 130mW and the other PGL-III-C 532nm 650mW.
They are in his signature.

DJNY

You should get a 589nm RA_pierce ;)

Last edited:
Awesome pics.

The 473 makes the blue look violet in comparison. It's always looked more violet than blue in pictures.

Is that a result of the camera's sensitivity to that wavelength, or does it actually have a violet tinge IRL?

Awesome pics.

The 473 makes the blue look violet in comparison. It's always looked more violet than blue in pictures.

Is that a result of the camera's sensitivity to that wavelength, or does it actually have a violet tinge IRL?
Actually, the picture is very realistic for 405 and 445nm wavelenghts (dunno about 473, never had one),
But as short time as I may have witnessed 445nm, it really is somewhere between blue and violet, maybe a bit more bluish tint over violet, but most definetly not real "sky blue" .
Imagine a 15 W bluray beam with 1W blue dot on the end of it :D
Something like that :p

Photos are incredibly realistic for me... dunno about you guys with different monitors and stuff... :thinking:

For me the pictures have always turned out with a violet tinge.

It's not the same as 405nm pure violet, rather it looks like a dirty 473nm contaminated with 405nm.

I always expected it to look like the picture in your DP, which is a pure blue color.

The beam has a deep blue/indigo halo to it, but speculars and splash appear violet.

The reason why I raise this question is because some cameras have issues picking up those short wavelengths, and this happens:

LaserVioletBroadBeam.jpg

LaserVioletBeamhit2.jpg

(Pictures courtesy TeslaDownUnder)

So, I'd have a feeling the camera would have something to do with it.

Anyway, I might be doing a 445 build for a friend, so I'll get to find out first-hand. :D

DP, you mean my avatar? It's a pic of my very first bluray, in a project box, shining into white paper while on top of my laptop which has kind-of shiny surface, long exposure shot to make it "abstract" photo but still appear to have relation to lasers :D

I've seen only a ~100mW of 445nm (underpowered diode) and it did have a beam of a color which I cannot tell that it's violet or blue - it's something in between. Just like on Ra's photos.

Thanks for the comments guys.

The green pen is a Leadlight casing with a CNI module in it.
The Green "RPL" is a CNI PGL-III-C (Aries/Hulk).

The color difference between 405/445/473 is obvious to the naked eye.
405 is unmistakably violet. The 445 and 473 "spots" side by side almost appear to be the same color blue, but it's just that the brightness throws some haze around and the two colors blend together. Viewed separately, or viewing the beams side by side, the color difference is more apparent.
445 is what I would call "Indigo" while the 473 is almost Cyan in comparison, but definitely Blue on it's own. It's strange how the colors "change" when they are relative to each other... even the difference between 635, 645 and 655 is noticeable (645 not in pictures).

Here is a picture for comparison. Since the 445 is approaching 1W, it gets over-exposed and over-saturated in the photos.
Lower power would likely make accurate color reproduction easier.
A spot has been painted above each of the colors indicating the apparent color to my eyes, at least it's pretty accurate on my monitor (idea stolen from aryntha).

Edit: Yes, I know I need 589nm. Yellow is next!

comparison.jpg

Last edited:
borat-nice.jpg

Some of the best beamshots I have seen!

Mmm...Interesting... Could it be variances in the diodes themselves? Someone had said that diodes can vary from their intended wavelength by 10nm or so depending on environmental conditions.
I doubt it has to do with variances in the wavelength emitted by the diode. It would be the camera picking up the wavelength differently, like how some cameras pick up 405nm as blue and others see it as violet.

IDK if its just me or not, but in person 445nm seems almost violet, I mean it definitely looks blue, but with a violet tint to it, and when you light up the room it has the same kind of 'haze' that my violets do, just brighter, my 473nm doesnt do that, its more of a clean color, like a green.
And 473nm looks almost teal while next to 445nm. IDK, I prefer 473nm.....

Also it is possible for the diodes to shift wavelengths from excess heat....

Last edited: