Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

574nm DPSS 20mW

RandomName123

I found a RGBY DJ light show and it has a 20mW 574nm DPSS laser module inside of it for $250. I figured someone on here would want one to tear it down. I contacted them and they did confirm it was DPSS. https:// www. chauvetdj.com/products/scorpion-storm-rgby/ I also recently contacted OPTLasers the ones who originally sold 574nm laser modules and they said they gave up on trying to produce the crystals since it was quite hard and they had better things to do, so its most likely not from them.

I don't have enough post yet to post links so I cut it up a bit with spaces.

Huh? There are no yellow laser diodes, they misspecified the way the 574 nm yellow is produced in this spec. Yes, it uses a diode, but the way this is written it doesn't show it is DPSS:

RandomName123

That's why I contacted them to get more info. Thought it was weird that they listed it as a diode.

If it was a direct diode it would be even more amazing since I'm pretty sure that technology hasn't been developed yet. Still though, if they really have a 574nm DPSS or *whatever* laser source in that thing for $250, that's pretty remarkable and certainly would currently be the cheapest source for any yellow laser whatsoever with a bonus red, green and blue laser diode, lenses plus various other parts.

Last edited:
I have one of those 574nm DPSS lasers. Did a lot of testing with it including wavelength and power tests. Got mine for $65.00, IIRC. Not gonna happen again, though.

Snecho

I have one of those 574nm DPSS lasers. Did a lot of testing with it including wavelength and power tests. Got mine for $65.00, IIRC. Not gonna happen again, though.
Where did you buy it Paul? Was it just a module? 574nm sounds really nice.

This projector sounds pretty interesting.

Where did you buy it Paul? Was it just a module? 574nm sounds really nice.

This projector sounds pretty interesting.
Yes, I bought it from Opt Lasers in China. They had many difficulties with the next generation of crystals that they just abandoned the idea of having these for sale. But, the one I got is still running fine and hasn't decreased in power or beam quality.

They just need to figure out what they did right with the batch which has been stable. Since I heard the nonlinear crystal used is hydroscopic and can be ruined by pulling in moisture, I store my 574 nm pointer in a zip lock bag with a couple of desiccant packs in it.

I always stored mine in an airtight zip lock bag, but once I learned they are hygroscopic I added several desiccants. It is still going like I got it. Fingers crossed.

So if I were to buy one of those projectors, there is a chance that the 574nm module could be ruined already due to it sitting there absorbing moisture? I wouldn't mind buying one for a teardown, but I don't really need the RGB or the projector parts 😁

RandomName123

I doubt these ones will have moisture problems, especially since they are sold by a pretty big company. And if they do just reassemble the projector and send it in as warranty. :p

LSRFAQ

Opt was NOT the only group working on that crystal.

I looked at ordering one from my favorite Chauvet
Dealer. "preorder" and no firm deadline for shipment.

Chinese government sponsored research is almost always spread across multiple labs, crystal growth is no exception. I would not assume there is only one crystal growth center working on this material.

So your choices are a COB host crystal with rare earth dopant or a magnesium doped lithium niobate polled doubler with a direct diode and some cavity optics.

Btw the largest maker of pplnn said No to anything less then 10,000 pieces.

Steve

kecked

I’d be interested to see if someone has one of the old units that is still working but dying if they put it in a bag with a good desiccant does it come back up in power.