Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

574nm 36 mW Yellow Laser

My driver cannot be analog modulated, but I have ho idea which driver he is using. The drivers on the 565nm lasers have always been different than the 575nm ones. Can't say about the Aussie seller because I didn't buy from him back before I started this thread because his prices looked too high for just increasing the pump current.

Ah! Then, no, it cannot be modulated with just increases in analog voltage. In fact, there doesn't appear to be a specific place for any kind of modulation what so ever. What I assumed to be TTL is the AC input for running the driver off of AC as opposed to DC.

Dang, I'm powering mine by the plug near the rectifiers, I thought the other one was for TTL...
Maybe that's why mine doesn't regulate properly even with 12VDC in (it keeps going up in power with more voltage).

The spot in front of the rectifiers is where I apply DC because mine came with a red and black wire harness there and the other was yellow and black. Mine doesn't increase power when you increase the voltage there, however. It will decrease the power if you go below 10 volts, though. I don't have a transformer to apply the correct AC voltage to it, so I haven't tried that. I did measure the diode ratio between the two plugs and you can measure the diodes between two of the pins I am using and one of the other pins that I have come to assume is the DC input.

But, I have not pried off all the glue to gain access to the back of the board, so I can't say for certain that it is the DC input. It was also because someone else was using that as the DC input, IIRC.

kecked

I one of each from the Aussie and they are fine but way over priced. The 575 driver does not modulate and in fact incinerated.

You can buy new drivers from OPT Lasers. Just email Freeman B. and ask for the driver for the 575nm lasers. I highly recommend putting heat sinks on the output transistor and the IC next to it on that edge of the board. If you add a small fan, it will stay cool even when over driven.

I have two of the 50 mw 575nm units from OPT lasers. I did see some interest in powering these with a driver that the community is more familiar with to possibly implement this module into a handheld unit. I'm curios if anyone has done so successfully yet? I know the module needs to be isolated from the host to not interfere with the module since they are case positive. I've already planned to tackle that with a nylon coupler that will separate the heatsink from the host handle.

Not necessarily. Nexgen used a driver from a 300 mW 532nm pointer to power his handheld, and since both are case positive, no problem. As far as I know, that is the only handheld made from one of these so far.

I heard from Freeman yesterday. He told me he will contact me as soon as these new lasers are ready for sale. The hope is that it will be another week. I hope so.

which? 574?
what power? same drivers?
PM coming

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your shipping troubles Alaskan, I was following your endeavors hoping to see how the blitz buck would turn out for you. I was considering ordering one myself to turn mine into a handheld. Hopefully it turns up for you.

Last edited:
What I would build... I would not call a 'pen pointer' or 'pointer' more like porta-labby or handheld lab laser
-- smaller driver- 3 or 4 18650s-- switch via the TTL--- small additional fan on top. ... thinking both inside and outside the box--lol

I have ordered and received the Blitz Linear driver many times and they always ship after far too long. I'm pretty sure that is what you meant. There are no continuous positive buck drivers. That driver is tiny and considering the heat it will need to dissipate it will need ample heat sinking. They are not easily adjustable either. The tiny pot is very cheap and does not turn easily.

Last edited:
I have never set one to 1500 mA- 2000 mA, so it will likely get really hot. It is the only continuous positive driver we have at the moment. It's just a shame that it is so hard to work with. Since the pump diode's Vf is so low, you will want to use just a single Li-ion battery or you will be dealing with even more heat. Good luck.

Would a 1.8a x-drive work as long as I keep the module separated from the host?

Sure, as long as you isolate the module from the rest of the host. That is often easier said than done, however. You will want a large heat sink as there is no fan on a handheld. Well, normally. I have seen some abortions with a lab stuck on the end of a stick, but they are rare and don't sell.

Last edited: