Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

565nm From LaserLandAustralia

I know what it likely is now, will confirm when it gets here.

Self doubling, broadly tunable, rare earth material.

Pump is going to be out near 970-980 where most cheap spectrometers with silicon detectors are starting to be blind. There are other pump bands.

There are four possible host materials and it is a doped rare earth ion, with more then one dopant.

Amazing stuff..

Steve

I'm leaning towards something similar (obviously non-fiber) of the below.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.photonics.com/AMP/AMP_Article.aspx?AID=24595

Thanks. I can share a link where you can buy one for yourself. Pretty awesome laser, especially for the money. I need to pull out the spectrometer and have a look now.

Thanks. I can share a link where you can buy one for yourself. Pretty awesome laser, especially for the money. I need to pull out the spectrometer and have a look now.

At this early stage do you see any obvious reason this type laser could not be engineered into a handheld?

One of us already did. These are just standard 20mm modules inside. The diode is a c mount so any smaller relies on how they handle the pump.

Now a question for LSRFAQ - is there any chance of these being adapted into the orange (600-610nm) band? I'm debating buying one of the Pr: 445nm pumped options from CNI, but if these can be made for ~605nm I'll save my money

At this early stage do you see any obvious reason this type laser could not be engineered into a handheld?

Yes, these can be easily converted to a handheld laser. I don't plan on doing that as the fan on the module helps this thing run much longer than it might in a small heat sink.

I know what it likely is now, will confirm when it gets here.

Self doubling, broadly tunable, rare earth material.

Pump is going to be out near 970-980 where most cheap spectrometers with silicon detectors are starting to be blind. There are other pump bands.

There are four possible host materials and it is a doped rare earth ion, with more then one dopant.

Amazing stuff..

Steve

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we should be able to shift the final wavelength by controlling the current/temperature of the pump diode, right?

Well, mine measures 573.9nm and is rock steady right there. After running for 10 minutes, it didn't shift or jump at all. The driver output transistor and an SMD IC were very hot, so I'm planning on heat sinking both of those. On this driver, CCW increases pump current on the multi-turn pot. I increased the current by 50 mA as I couldn't see that causing it any problems. It is remarkable how much speckle is around the dot as I wasn't expecting so much after hearing from others here describe their lasers.

I haven't yet measured the output power, but it has to be at least 25 mW as the beam was visible to me in a well lit room. There is no collimating lens at the aperture holder at the front of the enclosure, but there is a lens deeper in the module that seems adjustable. No need to adjust it as the beam is very well collimated. This thing is so cool! I didn't detect any IR coming out, but since my USB2000+ calbration ends at 850nm, if it were higher I wouldn't see it. I will try to get some beam shots later in the day so everyone can appreciate what I am seeing.

Last edited:
I got my 575nm laser this morning and it is most definitely a laser with all the speckle around the perfectly round dot at 15 feet. I only see yellow, but haven't had a chance to measure its wavelength yet. What a gorgeous yellow laser and it only cost me $30.00 brand new! I can't wait to get back into it. :yh:

What output power are you getting from the 30 dollar laser.

I just got through measuring the power. Got a nice clean 36 mW out of it. Certainly can't complain about that. $30.00 for 36 mW of 574nm laser light. I am thrilled as this has to be the best laser deal I ever got. :D

Sta

I just received my 565 and 575. I’m addicted. These are some of the nicest colors I’ve ever seen... may have to get one built into a handheld!

That does look like a KTP Crystal from a 532nm laser.

No, the image you've quoted is purplish. KTP is clear. You are thinking of Nd doping, which gives Nd:YAG Nd:YVO4 Nd:glass and others the characteristic purple/pink hue.

I was thinking the same thing myself, but was waiting for the corrector to speak first :p

No, the image you've quoted is purplish. KTP is clear. You are thinking of Nd doping, which gives Nd:YAG Nd:YVO4 Nd:glass and others the characteristic purple/pink hue.

All the KTP crystals I have seen have AR and HR coatings which are purple. The YVO4 Seems to be clear.