Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

560mW Stainless Steel 10440 Jayrob Ultra Compact 445nm Build Absolutely Awesome!!

benmwv

Awesome laser! I cant belive you could run it for two minutes before it got too hot. This will definitely be my second 445.

p.s. DTR if you want thick fog just boil smoke machine solution. All it is is water and glycerine, the more glycerine the thicker the fog. Should save on your water bill from running the shower so long.

DTR

Awesome laser! I cant belive you could run it for two minutes before it got too hot. This will definitely be my second 445.

p.s. DTR if you want thick fog just boil smoke machine solution. All it is is water and glycerine, the more glycerine the thicker the fog. Should save on your water bill from running the shower so long.

Thanks. Still one of my favorite lasers. I use it a lot every day. Normally don't run it as long as I did for the test.:eg:

Not really worried about the water bill.;)

I also think that water and smoke have different reflective properties and would like to try a smoke machine as well.

I have to say this was absolutely my favorite looking host from Jayrob. Only reason I didn't order this one was that I wanted a larger host for my burner, maybe after I get my burner built I'll order one of these for a mid level 500mw laser just because I like the host :).

DTR

Thanks guys. It really was a fun little build.;)

DTR

Added a ton of new pictures and a couple of videos showing ways you can get the heatsink and pill screwed into the head.;)

I always seem to reach for the smaller, easier to carry ones too...

Class 4 laser on your shirt pocket! :cool:

I have the same tendency with my lights on my nightstand.
I have a small pocket light with 250lumens and three others ranging up to 9600 lumens.....

99% of the time I grab the small one cause it does the job and doesn't create another project in itself just to carry it!

DTR

I have the same tendency with my lights on my nightstand.
I have a small pocket light with 250lumens and three others ranging up to 9600 lumens.....

99% of the time I grab the small one cause it does the job and doesn't create another project in itself just to carry it!

The size is a big plus on this unit. Can't go everywhere with a Frankenstein laser in you pocket.:p

Yep, thats why I finally decided I had to have one.

While the big ones are cool, if you have to keep it at home I find it doesn't take long for it to become old news to all your close friends and relatives that actually come over to your house.

Even the 18650 size is not practical to carry in a front shirt pocket, and who wants to carry it in the pants like they are happy all the time?

Being able to bring it into a professional or public environment due to it's pen style is a major asset.

Not that you would want to "use" it there but you don't have to ditch it in the car or somewhere else just because your going into a public place..... nice!

This particular unit is not so big that it wouldn't work on a keychain.. but I think the pocket is better.

Here's my mini review of this laser I bought from DTR.
First of all, DTR was very responsive and easy to deal with!

I noticed in the youtube video that the penetration on CD cases were taking about a second or less.... but I'm assuming that was the G-1 lens at about 3 inches is what it looked like.

I've come to the conclusion that the extra wattage of the G-1 excels at very close range but I actually like the Aixiz 405 glass better at 1 foot and beyond.

Here are my results:

Pros of G-1 are slightly wider beam and therefore more visible at a distance, however the small very tight beam of the Aixiz I prefer streaming through the air as it "looks" more dense. A simple turn of the focus ring will make it bigger but there is a bit less total wattage using this lens verses the G-1. Most likely due to the fact that the G-1 is one lens, the Aixiz setup is two.
But I'm sure the extra wattage pf the G-1 lens on a meter is the other big plus.

However, in real practice I used a black plastic CD case set about 12 inches away and my wall set about 10 feet away and since I don't have a meter, I used simply used my hand.

G-1 lens took about 3 sec to penetrate the cd case but had a bigger hole than the Aixiz which took 2 -2.5 sec".
At very close range, this Aixiz lens can get stinkin tiny for its divergence!.....

I then tried about 3 inches away to match the video and it took about 1.5 seconds for my Aixiz lens to penetrate... I didn't try the G-1 at this distance but I"m assuming it would be about a second.

At 10 feet is the real difference!...
Since I don't have a meter, I used my hand.
G-1 took about 3 seconds before I had to remove my hand.
Aixiz took 1.5 seconds and no more!....Ouch!

Of course I didn't dare use my hand at closer distances... the burn would be instantaneous in the msec range.... there is a difference in pain verses real damage and I value my hand.

Yes, I have burn't my fingers twice while adjusting the lens while the laser is on.... like the smell of burn't flesh?

I found its easier to hold the lens and turn the laser rather than the other way around as it keeps the lens position stable in your fingers so you don't toast them!

I also have a 1200mw unit also and when comparing the two, it obviously burns faster than this little guy.. but once has to realize twice the power does not demonstrate twice the glory!

I'm amazed at what this will do and how it compares side by side with double the power. While you can see a visible difference, its not enough that you would notice unless your looking for it.

In summary:
IMO unless your wanting to show off what your power meter will do or burn at extremely close ranges, I think the Aixiz lens is better.
Yes its technically emits less power but it much more focused and so the power you do have is much more impacting if your trying to burn or penetrate.
As stated, my hand felt too hot to not move in 1/2 the time at 10 feet with the Aixiz lens verses the G-1. I'm sure more distance is even more dramatic.

This little unit is stainless and it looks so. Its built like you could run over it with a truck and leave it sitting all night with the weight of the tire on top and the next day would show no effects!... other than maybe the pocket clip that comes with it.

Besides being tough, I appreciate beauty in a laser.
I want my lasers to look like lasers, not a flashlight!...And I want them to look like they are some expensive James Bond device... not a simple toy...... this one fits the ticket!

DTR

A little hint for burning through a cd case faster. Unfocus the laser so that the dot is the size of a basket ball about 5 feet away and then if you are looking at the light it looks like an hour glass at the aperture. If you put the case in the path at the narrowest part it will burn through it almost instantaneously. The hole will be very small. This works the same with either lens.;)

Aaron

This has to be one of my favorite builds yet :D Too bad all I can afford right now is a Mohrenberg kit :undecided:

CDHDC

Nice build and great review! Like all the pics and vids. Great job!

We all like to push the envelope and it's clear from the discussion that these small hosts are the ones that get the most use...

I'm looking to run a 445 1W+ through the tiniest host feasible (using IMR 10440s) and the SS of this host makes that awful difficult. Does anybody think they can machine out a copper pill to go along with the pressfit heatsink? I guess its better to just design a whole new copper host.