Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

532nm 700mW Custom Copper Creation

Best title I could come up with right now...

Hello everybody! Up for a review today is another antique host that was resurrected into a laser!

p5270637.jpg

This host is one of Rayovac's many countless creations, it originally had a green plastic top and a hideous green vinyl grip... I liked the idea of green on copper though--

p5270639.jpg

The host is also pretty big

p5270624.jpg

This time around it wasn't just my usual go-to guy, I actually got mrcrouse to do some thread matching so there's a sort of "cap" to hold the laser together

p5270622.jpg

After that, jayrob was on the scene again with lasever's modules.

Now for some pics! These were taken after lighting some candles.
p5270621.jpg

p5270634.jpg

p5270625.jpg

p5270626.JPG

p5270622.jpg

This one was taken outside-- fastest exposure settings in broad daylight still managed to capture the beam :D
p5270636.jpg

This wouldn't be complete without some rainbow shots too! (These show the divergence very well-- it's somewhere between my 520nm and 473nm, 2mRad maybe)
p5270630.jpg

p5270628.jpg

Not to mention this thing has a SOLID two minute duty cycle, LPM graph shown is from a warm start after taking these pictures, I've seen a peak of 730'something.

532k.png

Overall I'm (and have been) very happy with Mrcrouse's and Jayrob's work, and I'll be back to bug them for more builds to come-- :whistle:

:thanks: You two!

Last edited:

Hm... odd that some of my pictures resized differently...

Thanks! (even though it was those two who did most of it, I just found a host and said "do this")

jayrob

Glad it turned out! :cool:

Hey if you can get around to it, some close up pics of the drop in module and how it fits in would be nice to see. That huge 'drop in module' is pretty cool how it fits into the copper host, and I had to make a lip that is the contact point for the switch that slides up to make contact to the lip...

The drop in module is one piece, but it started as two pieces.

The reason it had to be that way, is because the host is constantly 'hot' with the battery positive.

So the front part of the heatsink that is held in place with the custom bezel that Mrcrouse made, had to be in contact with the host.

Meaning that the case positive Lasever module had to be isolated.

So in order to have good thermal contact, I made it in a two piece design, and then thermal glued the two together so that they could have good thermal connection, but be electrically isolated to isolate the module.

That 'lip' for the switch contact, is the bottom portion of the two piece design that makes contact to the module...

It's a cool set up. Close up pictures would be kind of cool to see in this build... :D

+rep

P.S. Awesome beam shots!

Last edited:
I'll get more pictures of the insides up tonight, Thanks jay!

Will +rep you after I spread it around some more!

Last edited:

jayrob

Oh wait I still have some pictures I took of the build that I'll post if you don't mind...

lasever 532 1.jpg

lasever 532 2.jpg

lasever 532 3.jpg

lasever 532 4.jpg

lasever 532 5.jpg

It's a really cool build! :cool: (I wanted to keep it)

Ooh man... that reminds me how much it used to shine. I might need to get it repolished now, thanks jay :p

Last edited:

gismo

Old school comes in green...classic wavelength in a host which remembers some ancient times.

Remarkable achievement! On a side note, some :kewlpics:

IsaacT

Two things...wait, no three!

1. That is one beautiful build!!!
2. How stable is it? Does it mode hop a lot?
3. How bright is it in person? Is it super impressive?

I am going to be buying a CNI 800mW PGL-III-C in the GB and I am trying to get an idea if what I am in store for :)

Thanks guys!

@wannaburn
  1. Yes, I really like this one :D
  2. It's surprisingly stable, it starts in TEM01 (or 10), and hops to TEM00 for a while, back to TEM01 (or 10) and I havent seen any other modes than these. LPM graph shows TEM00 probably from 25 seconds to 155 seconds.
  3. It's insanely bright, my friends are afraid of this one ;)

5.6mm you mean? No there aren't. Only green diodes are 3.8mm and might max at 130mW

Very cool. That thing is massive. :)

Thanks for sharing the pics and write-up!

c