Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50w portable CO2 laser !!!

Its been posted before . Its cool but didn't find it to impressive :p

Last edited:

diachi

I didn't see safety glassess...are these guys that stupid?

Well a CO2 laser generally won't cook your retinas ... It'll cook your corneas first! That part of your eye has a higher damage threshold...

They should at least have some polycarbonate safety glasses on, they'll absorb most of the reflected light from a CO2 laser, although I'd never trust non-certified glasses with a direct beam from something at that power. Not to mention any little chunks of glass or whatever that break off!

Even a direct unfocused 5mm beam from a 60W co2 laser takes a few seconds to get though 50p plastic goggles , 10600nm just cant pass though it , it has to burn its way though .

Last edited:

diachi

Even a direct unfocused 5mm beam from a 60W co2 laser takes a few seconds to get though 50p plastic goggles , 10600nm just cant pass though it , it has to burn its way though .

Hmm, a couple of seconds isn't bad at all, that's really all you need! :D

Thanks!

Anyone have a preferred source for robust 40-60w tubes, a bargain price would be nice but I am looking for robust as my prime consideration.

Interesting links, that shipping is expensive.
The Chinese guy who showed us his build said he paid 70 dollars, but I can't make that site work, I think it's for Chinese locals not out of country.

If I pay 150 with free delivery that's ok so long as I get a sturdy unit, they are on flebay for that.

The ZVS/flyback will work, I may not even need a series resistor/ballast because of the internal resistance, I will measure and find out.

Yes I will build a cooling circuit.

I was really curious if anyone had experience with different tube makers, I checked on a cnc hobbyist forum and they were saying some Chinese cutting machines are not all that great, but that really didn't answer my query, so I will just buy what looks good and find out.

Thanks and this should be fun, I like the 10um better than 808nm for the eye safe aspect as far as spot diffuse reflection. I will still wear real safety glasses even though simple poly safety glasses would be protective. Also this will be much easier to focus into a nice round beam than a MM 808nm, I need a break from MM :scowl:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CO2-Laser-T...526256?hash=item3d07f55f30:g:KDAAAOSwu-BWOSjX

There are plenty of lens if you wanted high energy density for up close material cutting engraving work.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...A0.H0.Xznse+lens.TRS0&_nkw=znse+lens&_sacat=0

If you don't want to build your own PS there are combo deals, just add a coolant pump and distilled water, radiator could be an automotive heater core.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40W-Power-S...172825?hash=item4d2484ec59:g:K9AAAOSwd4tUHYZY

Last edited: