Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50W 7 beam hand held?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I do not believe in the slightest that he is using NUBM44's in that build. That host would get ridiculously hot and is barely suitable. I'll stretch to M140's or possibly NDB7A75's but certainly not 50W at all.

Last edited:

GSS

I do not believe in the slightest that he is using NUBM44's in that build. That host would get ridiculously hot and is barely suitable. I'll stretch to M140's or possibly NDB7A75's but certainly not 50W at all.
Exactly, they were way to closely spaced and not in a big host by any means?

I'm not buying it either. If he just stuck to the truth, rather than trying to embellish on his build, it would have been far more interesting. Not nearly even the worlds most powerful handheld.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Exactly, they were way to closely spaced and not in a big host by any means?

I'm not buying it either. If he just stuck to the truth, rather than trying to embellish on his build, it would have been far more interesting. Not nearly even the worlds most powerful handheld.

Yep, agree with you both. Paul, it would of been more interesting if he stuck with the truth. After all, it was powerful nonetheless. You're looking at around 14W of 445nm focused I believe.

-----EDIT-----

Looks familiar, not sure about the rest. Diodes could actually be 7875's or possibly nubm06 but I don't think it's 455nm or higher frequency, really looks like 445nm in all except the point of convergence images which hardly counts. The waste heat would be extreme if they were 44's running 4+ amps each and short range is about it for practical use, I would say they are series 1 divergence now that I look at it some more, such as 140's or likely 7875's but I can only guess. > http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/4-diodes-better-than-1-diy-array-cheap-20030.html#post472265

I see it now, the 1st lighting is with a plain glass cover.
Also 44's are 450nm so that fits the color although the battery may not be sufficient to get full power, still from the bit I can see It looks like 7875's or 140's with 3 element lenses locked down with empty lens barrels to hold the focus.

Last edited:

BobMc

Man I can't believe he wasted a perfectly good piece of pizza! :D

I once wanted to make this, too. With 7 single mode violet diodes this might be not so close range but too much precision needed...

50W I suppose is consumption, not output.

Does this thing on video have WL host? Maybe it is their pub for a new top of the line product?

"worlds most powerful laser" Heh.... He needs a few qualifiers in his statement. Still, cool to see what a single lens did to all those beams.

I did it with 7 x 660nm reds long ago before we had the first 445, that was a lens merge type, then 10 diodes in modules pressed into articulated heat sinks, I would focus each laser to a fine beam at the same distance of 3 - 6 inches and merge them all, fun but again a short range burner.

Single mode are a lot of fun to work with.
Here's a couple of pics I had to resize, the articulated mounts are just angle irons with threaded screw holes for X-Y adjustment and chunks of aluminum block cut from bar stock.

56763d1500616713-50w-7-beam-hand-held-0519080351.jpg

56764d1500617068-50w-7-beam-hand-held-jsudhd6.jpg

56765d1500617595-50w-7-beam-hand-held-oldredsx6.jpg

Attachments

• 0519080351.jpg
    0519080351.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 408
  • jsudhd6.jpg
    jsudhd6.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 411
  • oldredsx6.jpg
    oldredsx6.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Man I can't believe he wasted a perfectly good piece of pizza! :D

HAHAHAHA...Funny Bob !!! Energy density...at that single focal point is ....er..ah.....interesting !!! But....only at that point !!

It is an achievement to get all the beams in proper alignment....to accomplish convergence....but.....of dubious value. Sorry !!!

Now....The Maximum number of " Beam-on-Beam " co-alignment should be demonstrated with the " Blue Katar " build....still in the planning stage...is four (4) beams.

We MIGHT hit 20W...big maybe...surly NOT 50W !! !!:drool::drool:

We will see....maybe yet this year !!!:whistle::whistle:

Beam Out:D:D

BobMc

HAHAHAHA...Funny Bob !!! Energy density...at that single focal point is ....er..ah.....interesting !!! But....only at that point !!

It is an achievement to get all the beams in proper alignment....to accomplish convergence....but.....of dubious value. Sorry !!!

Now....The Maximum number of " Beam-on-Beam " co-alignment should be demonstrated with the " Blue Katar " build....still in the planning stage...is four (4) beams.

We MIGHT hit 20W...big maybe...surly NOT 50W !! !!:drool::drool:

We will see....maybe yet this year !!!:whistle::whistle:

Beam Out:D:D
Yep I know! At least he could have eaten the pizza and burnt the crust. :crackup:

Over all it is a nice looking build, but there's no way those are 7 44's. I've got a dual diode 44 build that hits 9.6 watts with 3element lens on it and my dot is so much intense than what shows on video. Besides 7 44's in a sink that size, you'd be lucky to get 25 seconds run time. Than you'd have to wait close to 5 mins for it to cool down. I'm guessing 7 m140's that's my guess anyways. :thinking:

But CD, you don't know how much I'm hoping this build comes together. My dual build has a + where the two beams join. Can only imagine 4 beams perfectly aligned. The beam density alone will be a sight to see! The "Blue Katar"
Is going to be a build for the record books. :worthy:

Last edited:
Forgive my layman terminology and see if you guys can answer this, I have noticed it seem better to have some rotation when converging same wavelength beams by hand, I know if combining the wave fronts must be matched, but for simple point of impact convergence how much will it matter, understand these could be MM or single mode so if I used say 6 x 405nm lasers should each be rotated or will it make a difference at the far field impact point, that is being converged from separate beams.

Should overlapping or converging beams be done by rotating the orientation of each beams so that they are not all on the same plane, or would there be some kind of power loss if they were all stacked the same at the point of impact?

56772d1500677110-50w-7-beam-hand-held-4xconvb.jpg

56773d1500677122-50w-7-beam-hand-held-4xconv.jpg

Attachments

• 4xconvb.JPG
    4xconvb.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 394
  • 4xconv.JPG
    4xconv.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

Benm

I doubt it matters for what is shown in the video, all the burning is done in the very near field, and all lasers could be oriented in the same direction for that matter.

These beams are not combined in any way, they are just focussed on a single spot as you could do with half a dozen individual lasers are some careful aim.

As to that being 50 watts: i have my doubts. If it is runtime would be very limited in that host (just the time to heat up the metal beyond acceptable temperature). It could be 50 watts and work for 10 seconds or 20 watts and work for 30 seconds, but it's by no means viable to sustain output power.

Benm I know, I have done this before, what I am asking is if I correct a bunch of 44's and mount each on an articulated mounting should I rotate each bar shaped spot so that they all overlap at 50-75 feet like an * with some rotation or can I just stack the bars? I have done both and it seem like a little rotation is good but I can't measure the watts at this time.

I know at the Lawrence Livermore facility all the wave fronts are perfectly timed and in phase as they diverge and converge through the amplifiers, but I am not combining all the beams, simply converging beams across my yard to a far field point, so will I lose power if they stack like logs on top of one another? should each bar shaped spot print rotated for any reason?

11783-a.jpg

Last edited: