Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mW aiXiz Green Labby

Bionic badger,

This is wierd, when I asked they specifically said taht it is IR filtered. By bad beam do you mean that it is a "fat" beam and not the pincprick line it is supposed to be? This happend to me when I got it the line was huge but, after just playing around with the pot (lol), setting to max then to mid etc. it smoothed out into this beatiful thin line all by itself and when I went back to full power it stayed there, its been in this state ever since it magically changed a few days back.

I say give it try you have nothing to lose (If I understood your prob correctly?)

brtman

Hmm, I've been messing with that and it seems to not make the beam any thinner.  Then again, I haven't been running it for a while; maybe it needs some burn-in time to really smooth things out.  It is still really bright though, especially from its divergence.

As for the IR filtering, it is not IR filtered, or if it is, it is poorly filtered.  My "gold standard" for IR filtering is a CNI PGL-III 80mW laser I have (i.e. the Alpha series on Nova).  I took some pictures comparing the two, and also comparing the 50mW Axiz with an IR cut filter I extracted from a digital camera (consequently the same camera I modified for IR).  

These photos were taken with a digital camera that has had its IR cut filter removed.  In front of the camera is an R93 IR filter which blocks all light in the visible spectrum, as opposed to an R72 filter which permits some visible light.  Exposure time was 0.4" with an aperture of 4.5.  Distance was around 3 feet from the wall, with the camera roughly level with the output of the lasers.

Even with the IR cut filter, the IR output from the Axiz exceeds the PGL, though it's greatly diminished.  The PGL was still noticeably brighter than the Axiz (this was before I started turning it up).  Maybe the PGL-III is too high of a standard for IR filtering, but I really am skeptical about a lot of this IR filtering.

Attachments

• PGL_axis_ir.jpg
    PGL_axis_ir.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 80
well that amount of IR explains why mine doesn't look like 140mW of green. Now I am really excited for my half watt green coming this week!

Bionic-Badger said:
Just got mine. Same as the one in the first post. Nice little power supply box, power cord, and everything.

Using an IR camera at 8 and 16 ft away from the wall, the IR dot is pretty strong, and much more collimated than those laser pointers, though the actual green beam could be better. Are these things able to be focused?

Photo of the IR output:

I blew mine doing something stupid--so I operated on it. The front lens can turn if you really force it. That may focus it. :'( :'( :'(

Docjohn :) :) :)

ben74

Does some one know the mA the diode is running at when the pot is turned to full?

ben74

Heres the damage that the driver it.

Attachments

• DSC00523.JPG
    DSC00523.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 147

diachi

Hoooooooooollllllly ! that thing is masacred, its totalled, its burned to a cinder, how did that happen !?!?!

ben74

Not sure just a bad driver and i have received my replacement and now i have two lasers but only one driver so i can only use one at a time.

diachi

woah, anyway, I think maybe 300-500mA for one of the diodes in those greens, I could be wrong so dont try anything yet.

rkcstr

That's definitely a short on the lead side, not a faulty component. If the component was faulty, it would have blown on TOP of the board. You sure there wasn't anything metallic (or possibly liquid) that touched between the two pins of that large cap? That large cap is connected across the hot to neutral AC terminal, so shorting it would cause a very nice spark.

EDIT: What's the "goop" on the bottom edge of the board in the picture?

ben74

The "goop" is just the glue that came with the board and does someone know the mA because i have two and might sell one or make it portable.

lol that'd be sick to make it a portable with a maglight body w/ like 5 D cells and the lab laser style head.. ROFL!

ben74

5 D cells that would be big and not really portable. I will sell the less powerful one once i know the mA and make the more powerful one pocket size i hope.

I was just suggesting something that would be roughly proportionately sized to the lab head. The size of a lab head and 5 D's would be purely for kicks.. lol..

You could most likely run it off of a much smaller set of batteries and still have it be portable. Toss it all inside a project box and it'll be nice and tidy.

wow ok these things tricked me with their size. I thought they were atleast 3"x3"x6" but its only about 1.2"x1.2"x3".. toss on a AA maglite body and then it will be proportionate. lol!