Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mW AA Green Laser Handheld from FocalPrice - Detailed Review

FocalPrice 50mW Green Laser

My current camera is getting sent in for repair so for this review I had to use a different camera. Sorry for the bad pictures.

The Basics
This laser is one of Focal's newest green laser additions to their store selling at under $15 shipped! Output power is claimed to be 50mW and runs off either 2x AAs or 1 14500.

Shipping/Packaging
Shipping took about three weeks from China, but they ship their stuff for free so I couldn't really expect any faster. This company does ship to the US unlike DX/KD, which makes this laser a great alternative to those sites. The package FP used was just a plastic envelope. The laser itself came in a small white box without batteries or instructions.
fp1.jpg

Overall Appearance/Feel
This laser overall looks good, it is bigger than most typical handhelds we use today because of its 2x AA design. The pictures on FP's site make this laser look smaller than it really is.
fp2.jpg

The switch is a momentary push button which isn't very hard to push but isn't weak either. The tailcap that looks like a switch is really only for looks, so don't be tricked by the pictures on the site.
fp3.jpg

For extra portability, the extension tube can be removed and a 14500 battery can be used instead of 2x AAs. This makes the laser much smaller!
fp4.jpg

Like I said earlier, this laser is fairly large in comparison to most handheld lasers. This laser still feels normal in the hand, it isn't to heavy or too light and feels well built.
fp8.jpg

Innards
To be honest I am not too happy about the internals of this laser. After disassembling, it was a real pain to get put back together, so my suggestion is to not mess with it unless you have to.

The laser module sits in a plastic cutout, which nearly isolates the laser module from this case. This is terrible for heatsinking because the heat generated by the operating laser can't escape very fast.
fp11.jpg

The laser module is small and doesn't look much like any other laser module that I've handled before so I can't put a brand to it. The people who designed this seemed to have liked glue.
fp10.jpg

Visibility/Output
Visibility is similar to other 30mW rated green lasers I have. At night the beam is very visible and is bright enough to make anybody who hasn't seen a green laser before want one!
fp5.jpg

One negative of this laser is that it the beam exits the laser nearly 6º off center, which is pretty bad even for a green laser. In this picture I drew a line parallel to the case to show how much off center the beam is.
fp6.jpg

There are also a lot of artifacts in the beam which are pretty noticeable from up close. My guess is that there is a lot of dirt or some fingerprints on the internal lenses or optics.
fp7.jpg

The bream diameter of this laser isn't very big or small for a green laser. The divergence is very good and completely destroys my CNI in this aspect. The dot seems to stay at a pinpoint no matter how far I point it which is great when I hit clouds with it.

This laser is usually in TEM00, but if used for a very long time the heat causes it to switch to TEM01. This is probably because of the bad heatsinking. For any normal use this never happens.

Here is a picture of the 50mW warning label, as you can see they screwed up in a couple of places.
fp9.jpg

Burning
This laser is definitely not made for burning, but I was able to pull off a couple of tricks. The most it could do was poke holes in black trash bags and even pop a balloon after a couple of seconds. (BTW, the balloon popping won't be in the video of this laser because I ran out of balloons.)

Overall: Yes this laser does have its flaws, but I would still completely recommend this laser because of the incredible price. I can't even see how they could make profit selling this at under $15, even if this laser only outputted 5mW it would still be worth it. The 2x AA design is great for long battery life.

Video:

Last edited:

I have the same one i messed up the lense trying to install an i/r filter lol
but yea nice unit mine puts out over 70 mw's 20 i/r though:eek:

john ..WOW.. nice unit your!!!!but one other rewiev SHOWED that the BEST UNIT are the UNlabeled "laser pointer". and this in the revied should be the bad units....

Hey styro...

nice review of an affordable Green Laser pointer..
I like the looks of the host...

Jerry

Thanks for the comments guys! I saw that other review where it said the unlabeled ones are better, I would be curious to take one of those apart to see the real differences between this one and the "good" one.

I'd give this review a negative label, but if you say you recommend it then it'll be positive in the RT :)

Swell review, good sir! I'll probably get one of these. For $15 it's a rather decent buy.

I'd give this review a negative label, but if you say you recommend it then it'll be positive in the RT :)
I gave the recommendation at the end so it would go in the RT as positive. Yes this is a somewhat low quality laser but the price is too good to let it be a bad laser. Now if this was selling for $30 - $40 then I would say it was a bad deal.

Video added! The video isn't that great though...I had my backup camera (my dad's) die on me also during the making of this video, I'm starting to lose confidence in the Canon powershot series! Luckily Canon honors their warranties, I have my SD880 in the mail to them now.

Sa2fan

Is it 50mW or 30mW cause I got confused. I have a choice to buy a 50mW Laser... Should I get this one? Or should I get LEDShoppe 50mW one...?

LV555

If you can log on to the Focalprice website, register, click on live help, and ask for an unmarked LP115B (no "green laser pointer" sticker) you will have a better shot of getting a higher powered one as indicated in the other review on this laser. http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/5...alprice-pointer-14-76-batch-review-43332.html

That's what I did. You can also mention you will post a review when you get your laser. I think this will help.

Peace
LV555

Last edited:

djzinc

the 50mW pen from led shoppe is much powerfull then this. I have both. yes of course there are many differences between them...price, battery and so on, but as power(visibility - I don't have metter, just my eyes) 50mW from LED Shoppe is much better.

it seems these models vary in power by a ton like up to 50mw i will compare mine to my ledshoppe 50mw when it gets here cause it shipped today!! hope i get lucky!