Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

505nm and 480nm diode RESULTS

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date
Sadly the blue diodes were a limited run. Not aware of anyone with a spare they would be ok with letting go of... of the 10 I bought, two LEDd for seemingly no reason. Sanwu also bought and killed two I think, so they arent quite as stable as they should be.

Sharp's target is 488nm diodes however... though its taking forever for me to hear anything about them.

Oh, really sad! Well i guess thats what you get when not watching the forum in a while. I guess I will wait then for the 488nm too.

Of the 480nm diodes I got one that does 477nm at 127 mW. It is a very nice color. Of the 488nm diodes, the one I measured turned out to be 484nm to 485nm depending on drive current. So, these have been a bit of a hit or miss endeavor. There are three iterations of the 505nm diodes. The SB1473N91s are case neutral and measure between 502nm and 503nm. The SB1573N91s are case positive, but are still in the 502nm to 503nm range. The SB147EC91s are closer to 510nm and are still available, but don't seem to get down to 505nm at all.

These 505nm are really that high in wavelength? I was hoping to underdrive them at 5mW or so and get some 500nm-ish light. Well, I guess I will have to wait for some new diodes (unless nobody wants to sell a diode about 475-490nm heh..)

I think we are pretty lucky in general when speaking of wavelengths. These big argon lasers are awesome, but quite bulky.

Honestly speaking I was pretty disappointed in just how green my 502nm turned out. Not gonna get rid of it, but it isn't all that unique really. Looks like a lowball 520 if you aren't comparing two against one another...

the 475+nm diodes on the other hand... those are quite nice. I'd keep an eye out on the B/S/T for one

___

And paul tested the osram PLT5-488's. At least diodes labeled as such. We have a (dying) group buy for them at around $300/pc.... I bought the 485nm one paul tested and I'm still waiting on my driver to show up. Alongside these, sharp is supposed to be making 488nm diodes somewhat soon. Two labeled 495nm (both probably 488-490nm) popped up on ebay. The one I got died due to me not screwing in the set screw far enough :banghead: and the other one measured 488nm.

I have two contacts that are going to email me when they can get the sharp 488's. Until then, we have to wait...

Your best bet to get someone to part with one of the 473nm to 478nm diodes would be to use a gun and a mask. Anyone who has one seems very happy with it. I wouldn't part with mine for money. It would take something even more unique.

The problem with these greens is they aren't that much different from each other unless you look at them side by side. It's just the way those wavelengths are.

Last edited:
Your best bet to get someone to part with one of the 473nm to 478nm diodes would be to use a gun and a mask. Anyone who has one seems very happy with it. I wouldn't part with mine for money. It would take something even more unique.

The problem with these greens is they aren't that much different from each other unless you look at them side by side. It's just the way those wavelengths are.

Would take more than a gun and a mask to make me part with mine. I would only part with mine for a 495nm diode. Even then i honestly would not easily part with it. It is a very nice color that many of us wanted in diode form for many years now. Didn't someone turn down an offer of $300 for one or was that the 495's? I know badboybilly was the one who offered.

Rivem

I'm just hoping they pop back up. It's my #2 most wanted wavelength aside from something in the pure yellow area.

Somebody PM me instead of posting here if they're found at a reasonable price again.;)

The WL-shift is about 1nm/ 20°C, so you will need hermetic sealing to avoid condensation. I posted a paper about a nice design that can achieve exactly these.

Singlemode

Hermetic sealing won't be an issue, that was the plan anyway. I have some AR windows that aren't going to any other use.

Although I'm also not horribly worried about it, if I'm being honest. A member on Photon Lexicon (Planters) had cooled a Mitt P73 638nm diode via liquid nitrogen, down to -140C for 607nm. The diode itself didn't suffer from any condensation-related issues, and the circuitry was outside of the cooled zone, thus also safe.

There was frost on the output window, however.

Would dual output windows with a high vacuum between them be feasible? One cold side and one hot side.

@ Rivem

Which diode are you interested in? One of the 502nm or one of the 476nm diodes? I get to see more of these than most, so If I know, I can try to lookout for you.

I assume he means the blue diodes. Best I can offer is a LED'd 474.5. Right now my 480 is hands down my favorite laser and it'd be impossible to pry it off me. Being my favorite or not may change when I get the 485 running, not that that would make me willing to part with it :p

Though seriously speaking, they were discontinued -- they were a stepping stone to get to 488nm.

Yes, I know that, Zach. But, there is always a chance that there are a few somewhere waiting for someone to find them. I have seen too many times when we thought the well was dry, then someone came up with 4 or 5 more. I wouldn't part with my 477nm for money either. I use it almost daily as I just love that beam's color. It has a nice beam too for a blue 127 mW because its wavelength is so much higher than 445nm.

Rivem

@ Rivem

Which diode are you interested in? One of the 502nm or one of the 476nm diodes? I get to see more of these than most, so If I know, I can try to lookout for you.

Mostly the 470~489 ones. Just really can't be buying the $100+ diodes for a while, so I'm kicking myself since I missed out. Thanks Paul.:beer:

How much are people willing to pay for a 477, I sold a buitifull custom build to RB for a decent price, I love my Led Lenser 475-480. And I have a spare that I'm keeping for another custom build later on down the road BUT for curiosity sake let's say

477 sharp diode in 12mm copper module with wires soldered. SALE. $500. Au!

Attachments

• e5knEHU.jpg
    e5knEHU.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 9TP1x1V.jpg
    9TP1x1V.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: