Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

505nm and 480nm diode RESULTS

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date
Your picture is not accessible to me. But, I get what you are saying. I'll send you a PM. I don't have to have a lens to get a spectral measurement of the diode. The module i have coming has screws that hold a back on the module so the diode doesn't need to be pressed. I was planning on adding a TEC and driver to hold the diode at 20 degrees C.

Will any of the diodes from this new batch be up for sale?

The fact that heat plays such a factor is very pleasing for me. I'm planning to get as close to 500nm as possible at room temp, and use that diode in a TEC housing. I think I can bring it down to 498nm-ish if I can keep the operating temp around -20-0C

I finished the testing of the four 505nm diodes I received from Techhood today and the results are as close as I could get to room temperature with these diodes without a heat sink. I have a heat sink coming that will allow me to test bare diodes and keep them at room temperature without pressing them into anything. I still have a couple of weeks left before it arrives.

In order of wavelength: 502.0 nm, 502.2 nm, 502.8 nm, and 503.2 nm. As they were allowed to warm up they did increase dramatically in WL. That is about 1.5 nm to 2 nm higher for each diode. I didn't allow them to get past very warm to the touch as I didn't want to take the chance of losing any.

Last edited:

The fact that heat plays such a factor is very pleasing for me. I'm planning to get as close to 500nm as possible at room temp, and use that diode in a TEC housing. I think I can bring it down to 498nm-ish if I can keep the operating temp around -20-0C

Yes. There is at least one left. It is $40.00 plus shipping and and measured 503.2nm. One other may or may not be spoken for. It is 502.8nm and the same price depending on Alaskan either still wanting it or not. If you are interested send me a PM.

Paul, I can wait wouldn't use it for months anyway, by then I can find more. DTR is showing them on his web site too, if they are the same thing.

jnrpop

Cant hurt to post this again :D

3 types of 505 diodes;
The originals are:
>505nm = SB147EC91 = case neutral : (DTR, Lasertack, Song)
<505nm = SB1473N91 = case neutral : (no source)
and the new Ebay diodes <505nm = SB1573N91 = case positive : (Techhood, Newgazer, Existotem)

:beer:

Last edited:

The WL-shift is about 1nm/ 20°C, so you will need hermetic sealing to avoid condensation. I posted a paper about a nice design that can achieve exactly these.

Singlemode

No way. Is it Christmas? I've been gone a super long time. 500nm is exactly what I've been waiting for. Can't wait to give my rods a show.

:crackup: I have seen and measured more than a dozen of these diodes so far. If you snooze, you lose.

@ Singlemode, you aren't suggesting that TEC cooling alone will bring these down to 498 nm, are you? Seems like -20 C will drop the center line 2nm. If you have a 502nm diode, then maybe 500nm. If I am missing something please enlighten me.

Eracoy

If I were using TECs to get a wavelength shift, I would be most worried about condensation. Could you link to the paper you mentioned on the topic? I would like to try cooling one of these, but I I don't want dew or frost.

:crackup: I have seen and measured more than a dozen of these diodes so far. If you snooze, you lose.

@ Singlemode, you aren't suggesting that TEC cooling alone will bring these down to 498 nm, are you? Seems like -20 C will drop the center line 2nm. If you have a 502nm diode, then maybe 500nm. If I am missing something please enlighten me.

You are right. I am not suggesting that TEC cooling alone will be enough if you go to -20°C.

If I were using TECs to get a wavelength shift, I would be most worried about condensation. Could you link to the paper you mentioned on the topic? I would like to try cooling one of these, but I I don't want dew or frost.

Here is a recent publication, where the authors cool up to -64°C

https://arxiv.org/abs/1607.01347 (it is a link to a preprint server where the authors upload their articles legally for free directly prior the paper is accepted, so totally legal and a great idea). If you plan just to cool a free running diode you dont need the second chamber in the paper (the one with the gratings). Still its a lot of work, but you can operate the diode save and controlled).

Holy cow. Did't looked here for a few months and suddenly 505nm and 473nm diodes appear. That is sooo cool. It seems that 473 are not that available as 505 though. Does anybody know when I can get my hands on one? I have almost bought a 473nm DPSS last week lol.

Sadly the blue diodes were a limited run. Not aware of anyone with a spare they would be ok with letting go of... of the 10 I bought, two LEDd for seemingly no reason. Sanwu also bought and killed two I think, so they arent quite as stable as they should be.

Sharp's target is 488nm diodes however... though its taking forever for me to hear anything about them.