Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

502nm Diode in BadBoyBilly Host

Getting on a roll with these well-deserved reviews...

Up today is a build I've had for a long time now that I needed to make some repairs to. One of the original 505nm diodes in one of the original hosts made by badboybilly here. The diode in this host is a bit rare being a case neutral 505, operating at a steady 502nm.

I needed to do some repairs since the host took a bit of a fall... diode was OK, but the soldered connections to the driver... the solid core wire didn't appreciate that. So, I took it apart and re-soldered it using the right wiring.

As you might be able to tell, this driver's been through a lot of change. Still works fine though :eek:

Something was up with the negative lead in the host, so I wired the negative end of the driver back to the case pin of the diode. Couldn't find my black wire but this won't be coming back apart, so who cares I suppose

From here... add in some electrical tape and put the back end of the module back in.

Then that module would slide in to the host a little bit, leaving some room to connect everything up to the switch.

Then it was time to press the module back in to the host. I never had it down this far before, but I will say it's never coming back out.

Though there's still a tiny, tiny bit of the heatsink sticking out

With that, it's built!

502nm (top) vs 520nm (bottom)

502 vs 495

502 vs 488

Sorry for the wait on the long awaited review billy! Thanks again for making this. Someday I'll need to chat about another host... in due time, laser funds still recovering from the 430nm.

And of course, I'll end it with a link to the album that I add pictures to periodically.

Thanks for the read,
-Z

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Cool little side switch host Z; I'm happy to see that the diode suvived the drop intact! :yh:

These 488 - 503nm diodes are simply beautiful, thanks for sharing!

BobMc

Nice little build Z. Like all the comparative beam shots. :gj:

Gazen

Thanks for the review, would love to see more of Billy’s newer work.

Wow, that was almost a terrible loss. Case neutral 502nm diodes are rare these days. I have one, so I know. Glad you were able to save it. Great review, too. :yh:

I would have repped for this, but I did already today.

Last edited:

jnrpop

Nice Build Z , and a beautiful host from BBB.
Those diodes are now just as rare as the 480's, & what a sig Z :drool:

J :beer:

HI Z,
Great rebuild saving the diode , yes the 480's are rare I have one stashed and still have some 505's neutral diodes and some 488's . These are some awesome colors of WL's. Will be machining some side button pens for these diodes soon.

Rich:)

Nice Buddy!

I’m glad it’s finished and it worked out, I do remember that host now, although it doesn’t look polished, could I have really sent it to you like that! If so very sorry that was also a very early host build!

Last edited:
Love this build. Simple host, awesome diode. You've got some sweet wavelengths, ZRT!! Thx for sharing!!

Thanks guys! The collection is getting pretty tough to add to at this point...

Nice Buddy!

I’m glad it’s finished and it worked out, I do remember that host now, although it doesn’t look polished, could I have really sent it to you like that! If so very sorry that was also a very early host build!

The unpolished bit of it just adds charm to it. Any polish would just get scratched to hell and back in my hands anyway lol I've had it built for a while but never in a permanent setup like it is now. Sometime tomorrow I'll pm you about some future projects I have planned... For now I need some sleep

Thanks, Zach. I love my copy of this wavelength. It is still fairly green. But, not nearly as much as 520nm. I have another low wavelength like this one, but it is case positive, so it will remain there until I need it. My build, like yours, is case neutral. :D

Oh, and + Rep. I couldn't rep you when you first posted this thread.

Last edited:
Nice save on that diode and host. For something permanent that's pressed like that you may want to invest in some heatshrink, a little more immobile than electrical tape and doesn't leave a sticky mess if you ever do need to take it apart again.. not a criticism, just something to think about when you're trying to remember all those things you wanted to get while you're at your neighborhood electronics store :)