Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

485nm PLT5-488 Review

Behold! 485nm

I gotta say that this new diode here is my favorite diode ever. I wanted something bluer than 488, but greener than 480... and this is the perfect middle ground for that. I honestly couldn't be happier with the color.

I bought this host off Rich after trying to make another host work, but there were some unforeseen complications that made the original one impossible. In the end, I just wanted something with a beefy enough heatsink and a side-clicky.

And some old (poorly corrected) pics:

I'm also using the micro flex v5 set to 150mA (ivansuper and another member are using the same driver on their builds). I didn't think it would be enough to drive it at first, but it seems to be holding up pretty well.

Does anybody know how to adjust the colors better than using boltbait's plugin pack to adjusting hues between hue 1 and 2 (anything between cyan and blue, make greener)? I do not have photoshop... been using paint.NET but it's way too much work to edit each one like this! And they don't even come out looking too good! Doing it this way has been consistently a little better than the recolor tool... though it's a lot more work... any suggestions?

You can see how botched the color work is on this shot...

Less so on this, but still kind of noticeable...

Back to business...

For anyone wondering what the color looks like.. it's hard to tell. As you may or may not know, monitors can't fully reproduce the exact color of a specific wavelength of light. If you want to learn more about that, look into color gamut. Every monitor is different, so it isn't exact... though it's reasonably close, and is moreso to show the magnitude of color difference between wavelengths:

And the shots some of you were wanting:

485 vs 488

520 vs 502 vs 488 vs 485 vs 480

From a distance, the spot is very small, as expected. However it does have a bowtie shape to the spot...

Though it's less pronounced than the above picture shows it... the center of the spot is still far brighter than the bow

As for the unfocused output, it has a very clean output:

And I flashed it on one of my prisms (?), and loved the result so I snapped a pic of that...

And to end the post with a wall of pictures:

(back to the new camera)

And the link to the full album

Last edited:

Re: 485nm PLT5-488 Half-Review (to be continued tomorrow)

Very nice! I think the chart showing the relationship of color/wavelength made it the easiest for me to see exactly what you were seeing. Beautiful color! :)

-Alex

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Wow, Z, that is such a cool wavelength, simply beautiful, can't wait to see more!
Your pics don't look all that bad to me. :yh:

BobMc

~~~~~~

More to come tomorrow... and the 480... and 476... and 505... and 450... and 638... and 589... I hope :eek:

Nice;

Oh goodie, I'll pull up a chair, got my ticket and my :pop: and ready to watch the show. :D

Encap

Nice color --good job assembling it . Is what you wanted--enjoy it

Looks pretty good to me, Zach. It is always going to be tough editing those so close together to see a real difference. It is a beautiful shade of blue with a hint of green.

Hi Z,
Wow what an awesome WL , the color is outstanding to say the least. Congratulations on the wonderful beam shots no worries that aren't bad at all. When you have time lets see more of them .

Rich:)

Try adjusting the white balance rather than adjusting single hues of color, also color correction work much better if you shoot in RAW.

That thing is a slam dunk! Can't wait to see more pics, especially next to your other wavelengths. My monitors really crap out at this part of the spectrum. I tried shining my "480" at the ceiling and using the reflection behind my comp to find it on the chart, no dice. Lasers are too rad to reference on a chart :p

Edit: it seems I rep you too often haha

Last edited:

Thanks guys!

I updated the first post a little bit. Since I'm going to be doing almost all of my collection, I'll be making a separate thread in the collections section and I'll add to that as needed.

Some pictures are taken already.

That turned out pretty nice, Zach. Did you have to edit this to get the variations in the blue wavelengths?

I did not do any editing on the rainbow pic. Left to right is 638, 589, 532, 520, 505 (looks blue), 485, 480, 472, 450

I'm not surprised the 505nm looks blue next to 532nm and 520nm. Was it measured to be 502nm or 503nm?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That's one impressive exotic rainbow, Zach!
I think everyone is impressed with your new 485nm wavelength ....except maybe your doggy :yh: