Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

470nm diode

One is my 30mW 473nm labby, other is Ablaze's mystery module.. Don't think it's hard to tell which is which.

IMG_0516.JPG

Yep, if you compare them side by side like that there isn't much need for the spectrometer. :)

I'd still like to have one though. I would love to have a ~445 in a single mode.

Yep, if you compare them side by side like that there isn't much need for the spectrometer. :)

I'd still like to have one though. I would love to have a ~445 in a single mode.

they are not very expensive you can get them for way under 200 heh

Yeah rayfoss sells the diode for $59

I can get them too but i'd need a group order of them to order enough to get the price even down to what rayfoss charges.

Oh I know, I would have to wait for one of you all to start building them though. My track record working with the "normal" sized diodes isn't too great, much less these smaller ones. Then there is still the issue of finding a module for the smaller diode.

On the other hand if these are anywhere close to onspec, buying a completed host from lazerer (The company) isn't too bad cost wise.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/lazerer-now-selling-single-mode-445nm-69134.html

Last edited:

Ablaze

If I bought these modules in batches of 100 they would cost ~$90 each.

That's still more than $60 it costs for a raw diode(and more than the ones lazerer is selling as well), and they're still in housings with drivers that no one really wants. With I may add, a fairly crappy heatsink/lens holder design.. Their listed divergence rates are no where near right too. Divergence is as bad as the multimode 445's.. but only because the way they designed these modules, the lens can't quite get close enough to the diode to focus to infinity.

These seem to use normal 3 element 445 lenses. The problem lies in the fact the front of the diode is flush with the front if the heatsink face (as seen in the pic I took). With these particular lenses, the diode pretty much has to protrude slightly inside the rear retaining ring of the lens to focus properly to infinity with these lenses. When they flush mounted them, they made that not possible. It get's close.. but not as close as it should be.

Last edited:

Ablaze

I got a response:

Hello T Ablaze ,

We are deeply sorry that made a mistake , send 450nm to you , can you send it back to us ? then we will refund the money to you .

You are right the diode is to38 for 470nm .

Thanks for your understanding ~

Carrie

It almost seems as though he is saying "we sell 470s but we sent you the 450 by accident".. since he is still referring to the diode as a 470nm diode.

I don't really have a point to make here.. but I thought you guys might be interested.

blah. Smacks of typical Chinese-supplier story changing. If you want to give him another chance, it might be educational. Though note he's saying refund, not "we'll send you a 470".

Wonder what would happen if you asked if he could exchange it for a 470. He probably can't.

rhd

Someone, either earlier in this thread, or in another, mentioned some charts that showed the impact of increased current / heat on 445 diodes. IE, showed the wavelength shift.

I don't think the chart was ultimately posted, or we lost track of that train of thought. Anyone know off hand what that poster was referring to?

The reason I ask - prompted by some of the discussion about 450 single-mode diodes being capable of higher output powers, I basically doubled the current into my OSRAM PLT4 NSB. It had no problem taking 220mA +, and is outputting, conservatively, 150mW. Subjectively, the wavelength looks high. I would never suggest that it's 470 - it's not. But it's go to be nearing the high end of the 450s.

I have two particular multimode 445s that I've held on to because their wavelengths are the largest contrast I've seen. They are visually distinguishable from each other by a layman (the "uninterested girlfriend test") 100 times out of 100. Anyway, this single-mode is at least as high as the higher of the two multimodes.

I"ve heard this chart mentioned a few times, but haven't seen it. I'd like to see the spectro shift when overdriving a singlemode 450.

I've been trying to get a 'high' 445/450, so far no luck; all of mine (and it's quite a few) seem to come in at right around 447 or so.

Last edited:
the only 'high' 445 i've seen (above 447 or so) runs at 451nm at threshold. I'm saving this one for my projector build though, unless I find an even higher one first. I have another m140 diode coming from DTR, so i'll test it when I can to see if I get lucky again.

From what i've seen out of other diodes though.. diode efficiency is at least roughly tied to wavelength.. Higher efficiency diodes are also 'on average' higher in wavelength as well.

I don't ask for the 'cherry picked' 2W+ diodes from DTR, so that's probably why all the 'average' diodes I get are also of 'average' wavelength.

Last edited:

Ablaze

Just to close up this whole drama my supplier has agreed to refund $50 from the purchase price to compensate for the fact that the laser is different then advertised. This makes the diode pricy for a 450nm, but I feel it is a fair resolution.

I don't see a need to hide my supplier any longer. They are Tyson Technology, and their website is laser module,laser level,laser stage lighting,laser pointer,laser diode,wireless laser presenter,laser safety glasses,laser distance meter

Despite the lack of attention to detail and what appears to be a disconnect between engineering and sales I have still had an overall good experience with this company. I haven't found better prices anywhere on made to order laser modules... and money talks.

Thank you everyone who helped me bridge the language barrier. Incidentally, has anyone ever heard of them before? I couldn't find mention of them using forum search.. and hardly any mention of them using Google. They seem to have only opened a year ago.

rhd

Interesting - I have never heard of them.

They've got an odd mix of products. Clearly some cheap chinese laser pointers that you'd expect to see on DinoDirect / DealExtreme (or their replacement sites). But then they've also got what appear to be a few CNI dpss products - though they're not a CNI reseller according to CNI's reseller page.

I've come across their site before in my 'digging through china' looking for goodies. But I can't say i stuck around long because there's only about 100 other identical sites after all.. They vanish and new ones pop up all the time.. Plus they all pretty much make the same mistake which puts me off.. They don't list at minium qty:1 pricing on the website.

Ablaze

I agree. It's very hard to deal with a site that lists products but not prices. I email them and make a spreadsheet, but I'm only willing to do that when I'm determined.