Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

445nm Lens Comparisons!

Re: 445nm A130 Lens Comparisons!

My entry into the 445 arena, with the lens & diode mount from a Plasmon UDO Drive.
Mounted in a small project box, with a DDL driver set at 600mah running off a 7.4v LiPo.

This is a picture of my dot at 10metres, its around 2,5 cm so I am pretty happy with it.

11062010043.jpg

Heres a beam shot in broad daylight:drool:

11062010045.jpg

I did have a little giggle when I connected the battery for the first time there was instant smoke, I quickly disconected the battery thinking one of the driver components was burning...then realised it was the beam, unfocused, shining onto my little project box about 12 inches away:o

Plasmon is 405nm
I can't say much, but I am familar with the company's production of laser systems.

Indeed they are 405nm drives, from looking at the components they are of extremely good quality (should be for the original price of $1500)

The lens seem to be of good quality, but until I get some mah to mw readings (no LPM yet) then its all hypothetical.

Update! :)

Hey I tested the 405-G-1 with my custom 'small aperture sleeve/retainer' and it is better than the AixiZ 405 glass lens... (IMHO) Edit: After further testing, I still like the AixiZ 405 glass lens better for this diode...

Here's some initial pictures and results. I'll do some more comparison's later in the dark.

But it also seems to burn better at close distance with you focus it as best as possible.

More testers needed!

Here's what it looked like on the same wall and photo without the custom small aperture sleeve/retainer:

See first post for all the dot comparison pictures together...

P.S. I tested it with blu-ray and it cleans up the dot amaizinly! It is about 10% less power that without the custom small aperture sleeve, but it is a very much improved dot. Pretty much as good as I could have hoped for...

For blu-ray, it would still be about 16% more power vs AixiZ acrylic. (back opened)

The custom 'small aperture sleeve/retainer' for the 405-G-1 cleans up the splash a lot, but in my honest opinion, I still like the look of the AixiZ 405 glass lens better with this 445 diode...

(Success, I removed the photos, not like my last post. Maybe a newbie to forum use, but thank God, not lasers.)
OK
Jay:

I think a small mount that holds the lens bit with a large aperture (diaphram) AND shoulder at the rear will be a good machining project. Then, a small set of washers would be tested at smaller and smaller sizes to match maximum scatter losses and also minimize beam loss.
Another itea is the work with a small masking diaphram at the window of the diode, one that might have a rectangular shape and cut the scatter before it get to the lens- meatl that can take the heat.

Will

Indeed they are 405nm drives, from looking at the components they are of extremely good quality (should be for the original price of $1500)

The lens seem to be of good quality, but until I get some mah to mw readings (no LPM yet) then its all hypothetical.

Oh, I just saw that you were saying "entry into 445nm", so that's why I made the comment. I thought you were showing us what you thought was a 445 diode.

The drive is $1500?

I know the diode is Nichia ( I tried to get them into SANYO). Depending on the age of the drive, I can say what the power of the diode is, and estimate the diode model.

Not in half! About 1/3... :)

I can pretty much guarantee that you will not be disappointed...

More testers needed! You up for it Dave?

Edit: At close distance, it is very nice and a super burner, but at distance, you can tell that the 405-G-1 shows more of the 'line' that the diode produces.

For some reason, this 'line' is shortened with the AixiZ 405 glass lens. So it's a tough call which lens I like better with this diode...

Jay:
can you show the numbers measured with aperture in place, as I may be having a problem with the math.
I see that the 405-G-1 with the front aperture gives a 7% increase over the AixiZ 405 glass.
So that's about 337mW (1.07 X315mW) where the "raw" 405-G-1 gave 360mW.
am I following you correctly so far?
Then someone asked then that the aperture was cutting the power by half, and you replied, no, but cut by 1/3.
So my problem is that is seems the Update, or aperture is only introducing about 6% loss from the raw 405-G-1.
I did see soemting about increasing the power, I thought, so maybe that's where I'm wrong.
help.

I do have an answer for the EzFocus with pretty much any lens in my latest 18650 '445 build' recommendation shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-18650-build-kit-easy-assembly-blu-ray-red-43857.html

It's basically drilling out the pill to mount the driver inside just like with the Pocket Mini builds...

This gives more room in the head. And I can even have the heatsink a little longer.

By having more room in the head, you can position the module farther into the heatsink with the set screw.

That gives you the adjustment needed to get the EzFocus adapter sitting right where you like it best! :)

In my build, it's all as close together as it's gonna get.
I have mine running at 850mW with Larry's hi-power lens.
I've been experimenting with different lenses already. At 50 feet, the fast axis still diverges a lot. I tried a red Aixiz lens and it gives an ok beam, but I think that the only way we are going to get better results is with correction optics.
I've played around with the 405-G-1 assembly and tried it with the stock projector lens too, and I think that if the stock lens didn't have so much atrocious side-splash, it would be the lens I would use.

After seeing what this diode is like, I think you are right that the 405 Aixiz is the best way to go for a "drop-in" lens for the best beam characteristics.

Another option to consider is to have a new lens manufactured with a longer focal length. The current high-power lenses we use for reds and violets has a very short FL and it makes the fast axis diverge way too much.
I'll report back once my cylinder lenses arrive.

Here is a picture of my new laser, by they way.
Current draw is 884mA. Output with 405-G-1 or Larry's Hi-power lens is the same -- 855mW +/- 5 as it warms up.
Micro-Boost is used with an 18650.
The color is beautiful, but I still prefer 473nm.

now I see Jayrob's polished host unit with 405-G-1 with small aperture at 262mW

now I see Jayrob's polished host unit with 405-G-1 with small aperture at 262mW

Sweet little build huh? :cool:

445%20CR2%202.jpg

RA_pierce, that's an awesome build you have there...

Great feedback with lens testing. Looking forward to your discoveries with other lenses. Keep us posted! :)

Last edited:

what about the power and post above?
re: 1/3 loss etc.??

Hey Jay, the 450 glass lens you're reffereing to is the fully threaded type correct? I'm in the process of ordering a 445nm diode from Glen (Scopeguy) and I also bought a fully threaded Aixiz 405. However, Glen told me that the partially threaded 405 lens yields better results than the fully threaded one. Did you experience the same?

My diode is going into a Ehgemus host and It's got a focusing ring, so having the partially threaded lens is not an option.

-Tony

Hey Jay, the 450 glass lens you're reffereing to is the fully threaded type correct? I'm in the process of ordering a 445nm diode from Glen (Scopeguy) and I also bought a fully threaded Aixiz 405. However, Glen told me that the partially threaded 405 lens yields better results than the fully threaded one. Did you experience the same?

My diode is going into a Ehgemus host and It's got a focusing ring, so having the partially threaded lens is not an option.

-Tony
The half threaded lens can be easily glued to the focusing ring. Tis what Jay and myself have done :p

RA;

Nice job on your build !

Correcting the fast axis of the beam is a challenge.

I am playing with several cylindrical correction lenses also.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

-Tony

If you specify from AixlZ when you order, you can get the AixiZ 405 lenses in a full threaded nut just like their normal AixiZ glass lenses for red...

And yes, if you have a half threaded one, you can just glue an AixiZ focus ring on there...

what about the power and post above?
re: 1/3 loss etc.??

When I said 1/3, I was talking about 1/3 less power of the increase form an AixiZ acrylic. (which is not really a consideration for this 445 diode, but is a basis for most of my lens comparisons)

When Kevinmassey said '1/2 the power increase'... he meant 1/2 the power increase comparing AixiZ 405 vs the 405-G-1 without the small aperture and the 405-G-1 with the small aperture....

But when I said only 1/3 less power, I was talking about the power increase vs AixiZ acrylic...

Can you put the numbers down at the beginning of the post? Like adding it as update, but use the actual numbers.
Sorry, just easier than doing all the match and trying to peice it together from percentages and comments.
kind of like the mW/ mA thread.
Cool.
Thanks,
Will

Can you put the numbers down at the beginning of the post? Like adding it as update, but use the actual numbers.
Sorry, just easier than doing all the match and trying to peice it together from percentages and comments.
kind of like the mW/ mA thread.
Cool.
Thanks,
Will

It's there already Will...

I have 5 lenses compared with this 445 diode. Actually 6 counting the 405-G-1 with the small aperture sleeve...

Back