Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445 Golden Orb Build

GMH

Here is my second 445 build. :D :D :D
Aixiz module in a golden orb heatsink, Aixiz 405 glass lens.

I had it shining across the room while I was adjusting the current.
There was a burning wood smell a few moments later.
Though it came from outside.
Didn't notice till after that it was my door.

After I clean up the wiring and build a permanent driver I might put the fan back on. So far is doesn't get warm but I have not run it for too long yet.
There is a large variety of these heat sinks. I wonder if one can be combined with a old D cell Maglight for a portable build.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 330
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 219
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 215
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 186
  • setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 231
  • beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 231
  • bottle.jpg
    bottle.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 262
  • door.jpg
    door.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 260

Very nice HS yes I would be putting that in an old mag lite and with a micro fan in there. I like the twist they put in the fins, makes it stand out from the rest ;)
Smelled burning wood, your a funney guy :D

Kevlar

Wow! Now that is what I called heatsinking!! Both the diode AND the LM317(I assume its a LM317).

What kind of heatsink is that and do you know what it is made out of?

I was planning a 4D Mag build similair with the fan FP was talking about, just ran out of cash:cryyy:

I've seen a few people pick up on the idea since I've posted about it about a month ago, glad to someone can make it happen. :yh: Nice job!!!

GMH

Wow! Now that is what I called heatsinking!! Both the diode AND the LM317(I assume its a LM317).

What kind of heatsink is that and do you know what it is made out of?

I was planning a 4D Mag build similair with the fan FP was talking about, just ran out of cash:cryyy:

I've seen a few people pick up on the idea since I've posted about it about a month ago, glad to someone can make it happen. :yh: Nice job!!!

Thanks.
That heatsink is a golden orb. Its made by Thermaltake. Its a PC CPU heat sink. This particular one is made of aluminum that is anodized yellow/gold. Thermaltake had a line of different "ORBS" some are aluminum others are a copper core wit aluminum fins and different colors. I probably should of used the dragon orb. Its blue. They are quiet old I believe. Back from the 1-2ghz PC days. I picked this one up on ebay.

Wow. I had that idea literally minutes ago, and then I see this thread.

It's an old Golden Orb CPU cooler. I have one for AMD socket 462, but I think you could get them for Intel too. It's just anodized aluminum. I have one in normal aluminum color, and the weight and feel is identical, only the aluminum color one has a flat base.

Edit: Nicely done GMH. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep the fan, and it looks like it is.

Last edited:
Good Job! Schweet Heat Sink I'll definitely be getting one for my next 445 build

-Sarge

Wicked heatsink. How far away was the door when it was buring it?

GMH

Edit: Nicely done GMH. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep the fan, and it looks like it is.

For this one you would have to put spacers in under the fan because it sits right on the surface. The leads from the diode would be in the way.

The copper ones have a grill or grooves cut into the copper core right under the fan for better cooling. With those u can route the diodes wires right under the fan.

Also these heat sinks have dangerous fans. There high RPM and have sharp tips and WILL cut you if a finger comes in contact. I Know :(

ped

Haha theres a motherboard somewhere with a badly overheating southbridge :)

GMH

Haha theres a motherboard somewhere with a badly overheating southbridge :)

Yea lol. My friends old motherboard. It had the same heatsink. We took it off while the CPU was running. It was toast in like 8 seconds.

I ran the diode at 950ma in this thing for like 10 mins straight. It didn't even get warm to the touch. Putting the fan back on would be overkill.

Those heatsinks were so bad for cooling those AMD processors. I'm glad someone found a proper use for them.

Very cool! (pun intended.) I have a brand new Antec CPU cooler from waaay back that looks almost identical to that. Mine is just bare aluminum though.

I have a similar set up to that. I'll post a pic when I can here... if you don't mind.