Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445 1w Lights Candle :)

impossible. The 400mW 405nm can't light a candle from 25ft. 400mW doesn't have enough energy density to actually get a flame on the wick. Your 1W 445nm will certainly light a candle at it's focal point ~abeit rather quickly.

hmm, something doesn't sound right!

Why not?
It depends on the candle and your method, mostly. I've done it with a 480mW 405nm and a 400mW 808nm. Granted, I've never tried it at 25' but that is more a function of optics. Point is, 400mW is enough power given the right conditions.

jakeGT

my 820mW 12x just sets the whole candle ablaze instantly, and it spontaneously combusts?!?! anybody have this happen?

Why not?
It depends on the candle and your method, mostly. I've done it with a 480mW 405nm and a 400mW 808nm. Granted, I've never tried it at 25' but that is more a function of optics. Point is, 400mW is enough power given the right conditions.

I'll take your word for it, but not at 25ft! close range, yes, possible. Well, I guess I'm ging to have to get out the old beam expander again and try it. I'll take a pic if it works. ???? hmm

Things

In order for the whole candle to catch fire, you would need to heat the wax past it's boiling point, which isn't going to happen with a 1W laser ....

I have a video uploading now of my 405nm 400mW igniting a green tipped match @ 28' away. My 1W 445nm can't do this because of the poorer multi-mode line beam. At distances of 10 feet or less, the 1W 445nm does have more burning power however.

Yes please make a video. I cannot light a candle with my 405nm 583mW 12x even at point blank range.

You sure its 400mW.:thinking:
I lit one of my candles yesterday from 1 foot away with it, but I tried on the same wick this morning, and it just turned the wick bright red and smoked. It kind of needs spontaneous combustion to light. Sometimes it just won't happen.

Done uploading but, still in que. Should be any minute now. Quality (from a lightning aspect) kinda stinks, but you get the picture.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Deleted for safety. Cat is absolutely fine. He will not be roaming free anymore.

Last edited:
I always wondered what happen he just started Recently jumping and missing the edge he was jumping to and walking into stuff.....:confused:

Seoul how is this not safe, I'm the only one in the room, i have Glass's on and the candle is in a glass holder to make sure the fire can't move out of the glass area, i think this was done very safe, thank you very much.

or are you talking about cat blinder lmao

Seoul how is this not safe, I'm the only one in the room, i have Glass's on and the candle is in a glass holder to make sure the fire can't move out of the glass area, i think this was done very safe, thank you very much.

I am guessing you named the cat "Stevie Wonder"?

You terminated the beam with your body, allowing exposure on skin and also fabric.
True you also wore glasses. That is the only safe part. Also the cat doesn't have glasses.
Hence the nickname Stevie the Cat! :p

Please don't terminate the beam with your ANY part of your body, esp. 445nm at 1W. It can and will set your clothing on fire and give deep burns! Don't make it a habit! These are incredibly powerful lasers we're dealing with.
I have a lovely scar already on my hand from an accidental reflection at +2W! Good thing I was wearing laser glasses.