Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

40mw 594nm yellow pen BEAMSHOTS...

...in a lighted room!

All of these pics are instant exposure, clean air, no smoke, no fog, no steam no incense, no flash and no tripod. Just me holding the laser and/or the camera and hitting the button to take the pics. I had lamps on in both rooms to the left and the right of the hallway, and lamps on in the room with the fish tank. It was plenty bright enough to read comfortably; but not like, uh, work-office bright.

40mw2.jpg

40mw3.jpg

40mw4.jpg

40mw1.jpg

40mw5.jpg

That final pic shows the dot. As you can see, it has a perfectly round hotspot with slight aberrations at the top and bottom. It looks slightly oval in the picture because I was standing to the left, the camera's angle of incidence was about 20* from perpendicular to the wall.

That's unbelievable! Makes me mad that I shelled out a good deal of money for a yellow that's probably outputting less than half of that...Oh well, seems to be the way technology is - you spend X amount of dollars on something, and next thing you know your neighbor has pretty much the same thing but even better and yet he paid the same or less than what you did!

Anyway, does it have the same type of "issues" that yellows usually do? Like not wanting to start when it's cold (you get a very weak green dot instead of yellow until the crystals warm up) and getting warm if it is run for a period of time (basically a duty cycle)?

That's unbelievable! Makes me mad that I shelled out a good deal of money for a yellow that's probably outputting less than half of that...Oh well, seems to be the way technology is - you spend X amount of dollars on something, and next thing you know your neighbor has pretty much the same thing but even better and yet he paid the same or less than what you did!

Anyway, does it have the same type of "issues" that yellows usually do? Like not wanting to start when it's cold (you get a very weak green dot instead of yellow until the crystals warm up) and getting warm if it is run for a period of time (basically a duty cycle)?

Before it warms up, it's not very stable in it's output. It fluctuates back and forth from (and I'm guessing here) about .5 mw to like 15-20 for generally about 30 seconds, then when it finally gets warmed up it's very stable in performing like it does in the pictures. Once it's warmed up, it's rock steady until the batteries start dying or you stop using it long enough for it to cool down. If it's colder than room temperature, it takes a bit longer than normal to settle down to what you see in the pics, but it will settle down.

edit- while it does fluctuate some while it's warming up, it's not bad enough that it would not negatively affect your using this laser as a pointer in a presentation. Which (somewhat ironically in this day and age) is the primary reason I actually own these things!

Last edited:
Oh my God!
Forget the laser, I want them German shepards (if I see right)!

Anyway yes, nice laser indeed. Wait till 589nm pens bloom, it'll be like, same amount of money for 50mW guaranteed in a year or so :p

Damn I want a german shepard now so bad.

Yes, they're gsd's. I just made a thread a few days ago about my new pup, we're keeping one from our c-litter. ;)

Gsd puppy?!
Now you got me all mushy... :)

Me an my family have been planing to get a new dog after we come up with enough money to finish our fence around the house, and we all agreed we want a REAL DOG, german shepard was abvious choice, most beautiful dogs they are!

Uh oh, too much off topic.
Anyway, what is the runtime of that laser on one pair of batteries?
And what is the current draw? Looks too damn good!

Gsd puppy?!
Now you got me all mushy... :)

Me an my family have been planing to get a new dog after we come up with enough money to finish our fence around the house, and we all agreed we want a REAL DOG, german shepard was abvious choice, most beautiful dogs they are!

Uh oh, too much off topic.
Anyway, what is the runtime of that laser on one pair of batteries?
And what is the current draw? Looks too damn good!

Not long, and not sure yet. ;)

Before you get a GSD, talk to me so that I can help you find a breeder that will give you a good, solid dog; not some sick, inbred, dysplastic, aggressive, weak temperamented fear biting dog.

Ah thank you so much for the offer!
We will sure talk about that soon enough.

So anyway, about that laser... damn I like so much. How much did you pay for it again? And I notice your sign, Rigel 8 mW dead? WTF happened?
Awful thing, losing multi-hundred dollar exptic laser.

Ah thank you so much for the offer!
We will sure talk about that soon enough.

So anyway, about that laser... damn I like so much. How much did you pay for it again? And I notice your sign, Rigel 8 mW dead? WTF happened?
Awful thing, losing multi-hundred dollar exptic laser.

This laser is a LG Rigel 20. It cost $999 plus overnight shipping and insurance and whatnot. My total investment was about $1090.

As for the other Rigel, I took the module out and was attempting to mount it in a keychain host. Everything was going wonderful up until the moment I had finally finished mocking up the new host. I took the module out of the CNI host to put it in the keychain to finish buttoning it up, and as I was holding it getting ready to put it in the keychain host, the driver FELL OFF! Apparently, when I soldered it back on, I shorted something and cooked the driver, pump and crystals. It was a very hard $400 lesson. If not for the driver falling off though, I would have had a keychain yellow though. Kinda disappointing

Damn! I do not think I would be brave enough to try out 1.2 NiMHs on 400$ laser, let alone try to extract the module.
Ever tried to find out the voltage and current?
I think those things use 600 mA however I am not sure. Soldering another driver might bring it back to life. Just MIGHT.

Also, what battery were you thinking of using in a keychain host?
I can't think of anything small enough to provide 0.6A.

Damn! I do not think I would be brave enough to try out 1.2 NiMHs on 400$ laser, let alone try to extract the module.
Ever tried to find out the voltage and current?
I think those things use 600 mA however I am not sure. Soldering another driver might bring it back to life. Just MIGHT.

Also, what battery were you thinking of using in a keychain host?
I can't think of anything small enough to provide 0.6A.

I think it was called a 10125. It's the same size as three button cells. Theres some guys on here who use them in keychain greenies, that's where I got the idea. They have the same juice as a cr2.

I was searching for those!!!
I wish I can +rep you again.
Those tiny batts are a must have for keychain build and I have been searching for those without avail, however I did not know the precise mark number.

Thanks a lot! I gotta do some keychain builds, I keep losing my keys :D Not anymore!

Wow, beautiful beamshots. This put me back to square one in my decision between getting a 473 or one of these... :(

Or make a hole in a rock with 60W diode bar. Either will do, although I am more of 'beam' type of guy, some are 'smoke' type.

Although you gotta try everything right? I seriously hope to try out 473 and 589 one day...