Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

40mw 594nm yellow pen BEAMSHOTS...

Yeah for 20mW not 40-50. The larger ones with a fan are far more expensive.

and $1500 is still a pretty good chunk of change

Last edited:
^Actually,

DL has some 20mW 593.5nm labbies for just over a $1500. Not too bad :)

-Alex

I suggest you stop changing your username.

I still find it hard to believe they managed to get 40mW of 594 out of a pen...I don't understand how it doesn't immediately overheat and how it lasts more than a few seconds on a pair of batteries. The pumo has to what, a good 5W?

I suggest you stop changing your username.

I still find it hard to believe they managed to get 40mW of 594 out of a pen...I don't understand how it doesn't immediately overheat and how it lasts more than a few seconds on a pair of batteries. The pumo has to what, a good 5W?

Nah, probably about 1-2W, and I do imagine it gets fairly hot fairly quick. It's not un-realistic to have up to about 20-30s run times. Probably chews thru batts like a runaway horse tho

It did go through batteries like crazy. It did get hot really quick. Its output also dropped like it fell off of a cliff once it heated up.

As for the noobs calling me out on its power... Did anyone realize that I bumped this from six years ago? Do you newer guys realize that there were literally NO LPMs in the hobby back then? I remember when Lasersbee was doing his first experiments as an enthusiastic hobbyist with a DMM and a thermopile. It was right about the same time I got this laser.

All I had to go off of was what Laserglow told me and the fact that this thing was WAY brighter than a greenie that was supposed to be about 10mW. Such was the state of the hobby back then.

Might be hard to believe, but back then a 200mW red was considered HUGELY powerful, too.

EDIT- all that being said, it may have been less than 40mW. I have no way to know. It is suspicious that LG stopped selling these powers after LPMs got common, though.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it lives up to its hype based on your description. I've never gotten a LG laser that didn't meet its specs. Many actually tend to be exceptional... Though I have had a few that are temperamental. Though from its age it may or may not still do that. I could probably measure it for you if you cared enough. They did used to make a few of these that were overpowered. I have an old 473 GLP that does a good 10-20, even a 30mW as well. They're uncommon, but out there.

Last edited:
If I still had it, I'd be happy to. The only lasers that I still have from back then are my blue CNI "Aurora" which I kept because I bought it with my Army enlistment bonus back in 2006, and my 405nm Leadlight pointer because it was supposedly the first one ever made in a pen host. That was back in '07 or so. I also still have my broken lower powered rigel in pieces in the shed. My breaking that one (by dicking with it when I shouldn't have) was the impetus that got me to buy the expensive one.

FWIW, I succeeded in pot modding the first Rigel, and was able to get it MUCH brighter.

Yeah many of them are set to a specific current for best lifetime. Many of them have room to be improved quite a bit, but they overheat rapidly. Which is probably primarily what was going on with the other one. Or at least that's how it used to be nowadays it's probably a bit more well regulated parts wise, but a long time ago they used to all be manufactured with the same parts, and just adjusted according to needs of the buyer.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose I should clarify breaking it lol. My method of getting it apart for the pot modding was fairly crude, I pulled out and pushed in the module. After a dozen times or so of doing this, the driver just fell off of the pump diode. I couldn't solder it back on and no one else could, so I bought an entirely new laser. Such is life lol.

Well, I suppose I should clarify breaking it lol. My method of getting it apart for the pot modding was fairly crude, I pulled out and pushed in the module. After a dozen times or so of doing this, the driver just fell off of the pump diode. I couldn't solder it back on and no one else could, so I bought an entirely new laser. Such is life lol.

Yeah I know what you mean. they're not exactly meant to be taken apart.