Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm laser lava lamp.

I guess that would make sense.....If you could get it into a thin, window shape and illuminate it with the 405nm could get a nice effect....or put enough into a lava lamp, much like jander6442's idea(not to steal a thread).

haha, nah, i have a funny way of doing it that will make the whole process visible, hell if i ever get around to it ill post pics. i am obviously not one to post build reviews and the type of threads that brag of everyones latest completion....

im not hatin, just saying that isnt my bag!

doesnt mean i dont build stuff ;)

DSC00326.jpg

^ I've seen bragging on build threads... Is this an insinuation? I posted something I have collectively worked on for about 3 months(not every day mind you).;)

I have plenty of non-posted builds. Or am I reading your post wrong?

youre reading it wrong, hell i respect the hell out of you for doing something different, and taking the time to post it.

i was saying i dont like seeing identical threads for identical builds from people, and im not about to start a thread over completing a 1W projector.

if i had however say, finished my 1W mini projector, as it is different, i would post it.

my greek-english transition is not nearly as smooth as id like it to be. sorry

Ahh, I see, well just enjoy and sorry for jumping in on that. Hope all is well over in Greece:)

i live in washington and am capable of being more concise, i guess i just dumb it down quite a bit when im coding on 4 other monitors! :)

anyways, i love your originality, and think it opens a whole branch of other fun stuff to be made, but if 10 people do the exact same thing, and each make threads about it, id get irritated lol

Thanks for the kind words... nothing better for me than to have peers compliment my build.

Morgan

Just seen this jander and I like lots!

Just curious but do you get any convection currents akin to the original lava lamp?

Boosting the power, (with another diode of course), may give some scope for this? I dunno.

Talking about boosting... You're using a RKCSTR driver? Damn, if only it was a Dr.Lava lamp! :D

Great build!

M
:)

Well you certainly don't have to worry about heatsinking heh. A PHR running at any relatively survivable current would take a loooong time to even get that warm.

Heck. I just did a 445nm build with a similiar, but all aluminum heatsink and even running at 1W for half an hour with no active cooling, the heatsink stayed below 85F. It ran at it's hottest part, 78F with the fan running.

Morgan. I think he 'de lava'd' his lava lamp for this. If the wax was still in there, It would block the beam.

Last edited:

Morgan

^Yeah, I read that bit but I saw a homebrew lava lamp, (I think it was on here. Did TJ post it?), that used a low watt bulb and diluted liquid soap for the convection effect. It might be hard to see any currents in plain water but it may be seen if the fluorescent ink gets added at some point and with a higher power diode just may be feasible.

Hey, it's great now. If it ain't broke... and all that. Just wondered is all.

I still think using a Dr.Lava driver would be sooo appropriate for this build though!I just like those little homages.

M

HIMNL9

Just curious but do you get any convection currents akin to the original lava lamp?

LOL, not in that way ..... the bottom glass of the lava lamp and the heatsink don't give enough heat transfer for cause convection currents (i'm trying something similar from some weeks, using both an SF-AW and a 445nm one, and also with the 445nm at half watt, no movements)

Is for this reason that, actually, i have stopped my build ..... i had a different idea, different from jander one, i mean, to left some of the original liquid in the lava lamp, together with "glittering" particles (like the ones in the attached image), and to use a defocused (for safety reasons :p) beam for have it reflected anywhere from the "glitters" ..... only, there's no convection current, and all remains steady .....

I need to find a way for transfer heat to the liquid without use a lamp (i also considered to use a heater wire, but i want to build it with the less possible consumption), using the heat generated from the diode itself (and using the liquid as cooler, too) ..... i thoughd to use a plastic tube (plexiglass), instead a glass bottle, as lamp body, and place the diode module inside the tube, in contact with the liquid ..... only, i need first to find a decent (and long-time efficent) system for seal totally the module-diode-lens part ..... need not just to make it waterproof, but also to find a glue that can resist at long-time immersion in oily liquids, and to heat deformations ..... til now, i tried some different epoxy resins, but all them failed in the time ..... still experimenting.

BTW, about the marker fluo ink add-on, i suspect that, with that 405nm setup of jander, adding just half drop of yellow fluo ink to the bottle can turn it in a bright glowing lamp ..... ;) :D

Attachments

• lava glitter.jpg
    lava glitter.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,166
Last edited:

Morgan

^ You could try making your own fluids from mineral oil, 70% Isopropynol and 90% Isopropynol? You can colour the mineral oil with oil based colourants and tune the Isopropynol to make a really sensitive fluid that should move with minimum heat input. If you decide to give this a go, the simple instructions go a little like this, (but not necessarily in this order!) -

Get your Lava lamp and fill to 1/3 will mineral oil.

Tip the lamp up until the oil is nearly tipping out and very gently pour one of the alcohol solutions so it sits on top of the oil, (this is where I can't remember if it's the 70% or 90% alcohol, a quick experiment should identify the order), and fill for a further 1/3.

Try not to agitate the mixture to prevent bubbles of oil forming. You should see the fluids clearly seperated with the oil at the bottom.

Next, using a controlled method that creates minimal disturbance, slowly and gently add the other alcohol solution, ensuring adequate mixing of the alcohols, until you see the oil start to bob within the alcohol.

You can then alternately fill the lamp and fine tune the fluid until you have just the right relative density for best effect.

I don't know if you can make it sensitive enough, and you'd need a fair amount of alcohol I suppose but it might be a solution?

M

HIMNL9

This can work for use 2 different liquids, and have something more sensitive than the wax based lava lamps ..... also, you need to find an oil that never emulsionate with the alcohol, also in long time ..... instead, i'm trying to use one of these "glittering" particles filled lamp content, for have the beam (previously defocused in a cone), scattered and reflected randomly everywhere with the fluid moving ..... and i want to build a permanent setup, so i need to find first a glue that will resist to liquids exposition and heat stresses.

There was something similar in the market years ago, it was bi-components boat paint, transparent, vetrificant, but was took away from the market times ago for some dangerous substances that was containing, so i need to find an alternative.

Also, there is the need to use the lens in reverse (cause if you keep the rounded part in contact with the water, the refraction index of the assembly changes a lot), or to glue a small disc of glass on the top of the lens and use it directly ..... anyway this is the least problem, cause i don't need to obtain a focused beam, for the lamp ..... planning to add also a very small amount of fluorescein in the liquid, for have some different effects .....

Anyway, if i reach to build it as i want, then i post it

daguin

Buy more "bottles" and make them different colors using different "highlighter" inks. You would be able to choose your mood lighting then.

Peace,
dave