Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

370mw LCC Red in a Ehgemus Custom

Hey !! I just wanted to show off this small host that Ehgemus made for me.

I received 2 , one for a red and one for a 12x BR ( i have yet to get the diode)

Once again Im sorry for the bad pictures (old iphone)

The pictures are of just the host , but i will update with a final build shot and a LPM shot.

This is a driverless build, the diode is pressed directly into the head and it runs on a single RCR123A battery. Output is a steady 370mw with an aixiz glass , not optimized lens.

Size in relation to a cigarrete

1620-img-0361.jpg

With the top off , shows the positive contact point (wire) and the empty head with the diode pocket.

1622-img-0363.jpg

Showing the opposite side with the contact point (spring), just enough space for one RCR123A battery.

1623-img-0364.jpg

When it all comes together its a seamless from head to toe (well small seam at the toe part)
Nice beveling at the top and the whole thing becomes a heatsink!!

1625-img-0366.jpg

Thank for reading!!

jayrob

Wow 370mW's with AixiZ glass!

But as tough as those LCC diodes are, it will not last direct to the battery.

I'm sure you could fit a FlexDrive in that nice little custom host...

Yes that is correct , it has room in the head for the driver.

@Jayrob - i am the diode punisher ;)

**EDIT**

The one crazy thing about the driverless pointer..

I got one , a LOC in a dorcy jr, from Jake21 a long time ago. and not until recently did i find out that it was driverless. I ran the hell out of that red for 4-5 mins at a time. Since it was a cheapie to me then, i used it as such and it lasted me a very long time.

Last edited:
How much current are you pushing though the LOC to acheive 370mw? I'm interested in seeing how long your diode will last at these power levels.

jayrob

With no driver installed, you could get a current reading by just checking the battery current draw at the back end of the battery to host.

Normally, at 420mA's, this diode would be a high efficiency diode if it gave 260mW's with an AixiZ glass lens...

If it's giving 370mW's with AixiZ glass, I would venture a guess that it is taking at least 600mA's from the direct battery connection...

Dayam!! 370mW of red !
Almost makes me say: you need your LPM calibrated!

Are you most certanly sure about that? And can you measure the current drain?

Last time i tested my driverless red it was about 600ma , ask daguin.

im sure it will last a long time. being the diode punisher that i am , i am willing to run this build until the battery runs out .

lets start that , so far the host is very warm, with 8 min's into it..

im hitting the sheets with the sucker on until tomorrow..

good night

Last edited:

Asherz

Last time i tested my driverless red it was about 600ma , ask daguin.

im sure it will last a long time. being the diode punisher that i am , i am willing to run this build until the battery runs out .

lets start that , so far the host is very warm, with 8 min's into it..

im hitting the sheets with the sucker on until tomorrow..

good night

??

Seems kinda pointless, unless it's TEC cooled a duty cycle of 8 hours will just kill it.

How it the heat sinking on the host? Are you still able to hold it comfortably without it burning your hand?

Well the battery fed it for a bit over an hour , it was too hot in my opinion. I changed the battery and it turned right on again . I gave it a break:)

one thing though is that I think it was too hot for the safety of the battery. I had to blow on the host to cool it down a couple times for my own peace of mind

I can safely say that 8-10 min runtimes are ok at this current with this specific build.