Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

300mw+ kryton laser

drlava

A while ago I ordered a $30 ($46 after everything) meredith glass setup.. the lens is single element while the aixiz glass is 3 element. This may have an effect on the power transmission; still have to test it. I only wish they were cheaper!

jayrob

Just to chime in here guys...I tested the lenses all at the same current, which was 420mA's. Of course, I do cut the black plastic off the back of the AixiZ acrylic lenses, even for lesser power builds. I was expecting much more of a difference with the AixiZ glass. I posted  to see if anyone else has tested the AixiZ glass lens, against the Meredith glass lens. Nobody has responded. At that current, I got a difference of at least 40mW between the two lenses. This is using the LPM-1. Not sure why. I believe there was someone who posted back that mentioned that maybe the difference is the diameter of the module/lens aperture. The Meredith possibly allowing more light to escape. Sounds reasonable. Or, maybe I just have a bad AixiZ glass lens. That's why I would like to know if anybody else has tested them...
Jay

jayrob

Kenom said:
that was with an acrylic lens.  I currently only have one glass lens.  all of the one's I got for the barrels were acrylic.

Kenom, please post the exact model number of the drive that you harvested that diode from. I have built at least 8 different open can lasers. Some with the Pioneer 112D, and some with the Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A drive. All of the diodes have given very similar readings. (with-in 10mW of each other) I have never got more than a 250mW reading @ 420mA's using an acrylic lens (AixiZ or Meredith). This is using the LPM-1 meter. Looks like you got a HOT diode there. Nice video...
Jay

P.S. I know that Gazoo has an open can diode with unusually high readings which he harvested from the Optiarc drive.

This is kind of off topic, but I keep hearing about drlava's new driver, but I haven't seen any schematics for it yet. Can anyone post a link to the right thread?

Switch

laser_freak said:
This is kind of off topic, but I keep hearing about drlava's new driver, but I haven't seen any schematics for it yet.  Can anyone post a link to the right thread?
There won't be any schematics because he put a considerable amount of work into designing it, and if he wants to sell them , it's not to his advantage to post schematics, so yeah...If I remember correctly , they're gonna be for sale.

Amnizu

Switch said:
[quote author=laser_freak link=1205688215/15#20 date=1205889669]This is kind of off topic, but I keep hearing about drlava's new driver, but I haven't seen any schematics for it yet. Can anyone post a link to the right thread?
There won't be any schematics because he put a considerable amount of work into designing it, and if he wants to sell them , it's not to his advantage to post schematics, so yeah...If I remember correctly , they're gonna be for sale.[/quote]

You remember correctly. They're not going to be made public because he wants to sell them, and he refuses to let someone run off with his work and profit from it.

Amnizu said:
You remember correctly. They're not going to be made public because he wants to sell them, and he refuses to let someone run off with his work and profit from it.

Oh... I've heard a bunch of times that he's put a lot of work into it, and I don't doubt it, but what does the driver do differently? And does anybody know when he's going to start selling them?

Switch

Well from what I heard, it has a "ramp-up" feature not to deliver a huge current direcly, and it's designed to keep the output steady until the batteries are almost completely drained.

Switch said:
Well from what I heard, it has a "ramp-up" feature not to deliver a huge current direcly, and it's designed to keep the output steady until the batteries are almost completely drained.

Man, now I REALLY want one. :D

jayrob

jayrob said:
Just to chime in here guys...I tested the lenses all at the same current, which was 420mA's. Of course, I do cut the black plastic off the back of the AixiZ acrylic lenses, even for lesser power builds. I was expecting much more of a difference with the AixiZ glass. I posted  to see if anyone else has tested the AixiZ glass lens, against the Meredith glass lens. Nobody has responded. At that current, I got a difference of at least 40mW between the two lenses. This is using the LPM-1. Not sure why. I believe there was someone who posted back that mentioned that maybe the difference is the diameter of the module/lens aperture. The Meredith possibly allowing more light to escape. Sounds reasonable. Or, maybe I just have a bad AixiZ glass lens. That's why I would like to know if anybody else has tested them...
Jay

amkdeath told me that he tested his AixiZ glass lens and compared it with the readings he got from his acrylic lens at 416mA's. He said the glass lens had about 40mW's more power. So....sounds like maybe my AixiZ glass lens is bad. I am still interested to know if anybody else has compared the AixiZ glass lens with the acrylic, or a Meredith glass lens at this power...
Jay

Amnizu

Switch said:

You are correct. Quote Kenom's new Kryton barrel GB thread:

I'll also be offering up another option to include a different driver. Dr. Lava has been busy toiling away making a switching driver that according to his last report is 85-90% efficient, no dimming as the batteries sag, makes for longer run time on batteries (50% longer),ramp startup that is easy on diodes so no blown diodes as a result of spikes, and works with both red and bluray diodes burner or non. It's unfortunetly a bit more for this particular driver, but worth every penny in my humble opinion. price increase would be $12 for lava's driver.