Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W Sirius-1-C

Thank you for the accurate observation,,that is exactly how it was intended. It is our belief that the heatsink should be external & finned to increase the surface area, which provides optimal access to a fluid medium...as well as have good conduction through the rest of the host body. Of course, the fact that it looks just plain cool is a total bonus! ;)

It is functional art at its best.
An external sink in style!

Very nice indeed.
It has the look of being used for good (and not :eg:)
:thanks: for sharing this one

The host is looking realy nice!
And your build is as always rocksolid :)
Good job to both of you and keep up the awesome work!
btw.: @DeadEYeMo: There is a "Multiquote" function which is as awesome as your host ;)

DTR

These are hand-machined by eye. No CNC here. Jamal is an artist, and I have seen him use the lathe to sculpt works of art...hes a two-handed monster on that thing! Its amazing to watch him work...hes got this whole Lathe-Katta going.

Two handed monster? I guess it is a good thing he does not read the forums.:p

Kevlar

DeadEYeMo, that is simply the best looking host I've seen. Incredible!!!

A lot of time, thought, and love put into that work of art. Well worth the money.

Ehgemus has got some BIG competition.

My hat's off to both of you. :beer:

I have to agree with everyone, DTR another awesome build and I love the host DeadEYeMo, your going to be very busy!

It's a beautiful laser as always DTR, thanks for the review. It's awesome to have more people here producing high quality goods, I hope to pick up one of these beauties in the future! Thanks DeadEYeNo :wave:

Last edited:
I have been looking at the steampunk style for a few months now. I just hope I can make something this nice.
Great job on the build. I really like it.:beer:

Before long you will have batteries showing up at your door step unexpected for DTR. :crackup:

Wow. I was expecting the price to be higher on these. That's very reasonable for a hand made host of that quality.

Ehgemus...we have been perusing this forum for a couple months now, and admire your work, as you have done great things for this community. We were actually hoping that we could do something as nice as your work. Many many thanks for the Kudos..from both of us.

We didn't intend to do Steampunk...we never heard of it till this thread. Both of us do restore antique lighting for a living, & Jamal also collects antique microphones. But even with these influences, tucked away in the back of his sub-conscious, he never really set upon any particular style. It was actually free-form, based around the desire for a finned external heat-sink. Our previous experiences and influences did cause us to liken it to the early 20th century Art-Deco styling. I don't know...I think Steampunk might actually be something else. We did, however, anticipate similar styles might follow, but with an average of 10-15 hours on the lathe & 4-5 hours of polishing per unit, makes these hosts truly a labor of love...these are free-form hand-cut..no two are exactly alike..which is part of what makes each one a unique piece of functional art.

I have been looking at the steampunk style for a few months now. I just hope I can make something this nice.
Great job on the build. I really like it.:beer:

Before long you will have batteries showing up at your door step unexpected for DTR. :crackup:

Last edited:
What makes it steam is the copper. In Victorian times copper, and bronze were used for a lot of things, and the steam artists love copper because of its looks, and ease to work with.

What makes it steam is the copper. In Victorian times copper, and bronze were used for a lot of things, and the steam artists love copper because of its looks, and ease to work with.

Cool. The lighting that we restore/renovate generally ranges from the 1850's to the present day, its not unusual to occasionally get a piece even earlier. Brass was the most common material used for lighting, until around WWI, when aluminum and pot-metal started to be used more (needed the brass for bullets!). In fact, brass was so inexpensive and common, that people started to shy away from it. Now it has come back and is more expensive because people now see it as a 'luxury' item (and because of how expensive copper is). lol We have thought about aging the copper (and possible brass) accents with various hues of patina for different visual effects. These colors can include purples, reds, sometimes a 'gun-bluing' effect, even iridescence rainbows of colors. We do this using a "Secret DeadEYe Formula"...;). When done by someone skilled in this, it can be quite hard to tell the difference from a new patina from one created naturally over the past century.

Last edited: