Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W SAIK SA-305 26650 Host W/Massive Mohrenberg Heatsink

I got one of these hosts -- nice flashlight. I made a plastic spacer to hold an 18650.

Now -- I have machined an aluminum assembly which is similar but makes a single module inserted into the head. The bare assembly weighs 3.4 Oz. I will try to save the original LED and its driver.

HMike

DTR

I got one of these hosts -- nice flashlight. I made a plastic spacer to hold an 18650.

Now -- I have machined an aluminum assembly which is similar but makes a single module inserted into the head. The bare assembly weighs 3.4 Oz. I will try to save the original LED and its driver.

HMike

It is a great host:beer: You got any pictures of your build? Also why not just go for the 26650?

DTR ---
My 26650 will be here 1/4/11........ I'm using 18650 for now and needed a filler.

Here's what I have so far. The big part fills the head from the front and centers the smaller module holder. 6-32 set screws hold it all in place.

4467-saik1.jpg

HMike

Last edited:

DTR

Sweet. The 26650 is the perfect companion for these high powered diodes.:beer:

Look forward to seeing your build.:yh:

My next step is mounting the V5 drivers. I mounted them to small copper pellets and added a copper strap from the top mounted driver to the HS.
This may be overkill but I'm tired of the driver getting too hot and protecting itself (a good thing!).

4484-saik2.jpg

HMike

DTR

This may be overkill but I'm tired of the driver getting too hot and protecting itself (a good thing!).[/IMG]

HMike

You are talking to the king of over kill here so you definitely get A+ on the copper pellets. That will let the heat spread out a little and have more surface area when the heat tries to move into the less conductive aluminum. Should move the heat out real nice. My thought process is not bother with copper in hosts where the heatsink is somewhat isolated and not moving its heat into another medium like the host body. If it is not transferring its heat to something else in my experience it will heat up as fast as aluminum.

I think you hit the nail on the head of how copper is best used to quickly transfer heat to another medium. Especially if the heat is being generated from something as small as the chip on the flexdrive. Now did it really needed it? Not really. But who cares t is just sweet.;)

Last edited:
DTR --

How important is it to balance the 2 driver's current ? Would 800 / 900 mA work OK or do they have to balance within a couple mA?
Parallel drivers can cause trouble.

I'm setting mine for ~850 mA each -- total 1.7 Amps. I toasted two diodes at ~1.8 Amps in the past.

HMike

Last edited:

DTR

DTR --

How important is it to balance the 2 driver's current ?

I always balance them as close as I can get and usually land within 5mA of each other.:tinfoil: But drlava said it would not be a problem if they were different only with the microboost would there be an issue.:beer:

DTR ---

This is the "pill" which will drop into the head.
My input to it is 2.33 Amps @4.0 VDC from the power supply. If my adjustments are stable, I'm running 1.7 Amps LD current and presently reading 1.6 Watts on one of my meters.
I think I have an Aixiz 405 lens in it. I need to get better 445 lenses now.

4487-saik3.jpg

HMike

Last edited:

DTR

DTR ---

Really bad picture :( This is the "pill" which will drop into the head.
My input to it is 2.33 Amps @4.0 VDC from the power supply. If my adjustments are stable, I'm running 1.7 Amps LD current and presently reading 1.6 Watts on one of my meters.

4486-saik3.jpg

HMike

Sounds just right. With a G-1 you should be getting around 1.8W.:eg:

It is an average diode. The best diode I have seen gave 2W @ 1.75A. But most are 1.6W/1.8W Aixiz/405-G-1

Here is a dual flex unit I built tonight that is right about the same. 850mA each for the drivers. Putting out 1.8W W/G-1.:D

Also this unit is pulling 2.1A from the driver when the voltage in is 4.2V and 2.3A when the voltage in is 3.9V.:beer:

Last edited:
It really was not that long especially since you had to order the stock and you did a great job as always. It is a super chunk of aluminum. I am not an impatient person plus I always have so many balls in the air at once there is always something to preoccupy my attention.:beer: Just wait and see some of the new stuff I have around the corner.:eg:

You guys seem to be making a lot of one off heatsinks together!

If your ever looking for a certain size of anything let me know and I'll see if I've got any scrap around. We've got lots of chunks of aluminum at the shop that are too small to mess with there but perfect for a flashlight heatsink!

And if your looking for 12' bars I guarantee you I can get it cheaper than any place online. You'd just have to come get it from me Moh!

DTR

You guys seem to be making a lot of one off heatsinks together!

If your ever looking for a certain size of anything let me know and I'll see if I've got any scrap around. We've got lots of chunks of aluminum at the shop that are too small to mess with there but perfect for a flashlight heatsink!

And if your looking for 12' bars I guarantee you I can get it cheaper than any place online. You'd just have to come get it from me Moh!

Sounds like a good offer. You have any 3" stock?:beer:

I replaced the picture with a better one.
Pontiac -- I get my 12" long bar stock from ENCO. I'll ask you next time I need a bar.

@DTR -- Seems all I ever get is "average" diodes !!

Happy New Year --

HMike

It burns through an old CD case in ~2 seconds but it hasen't popped a balloon for some reason :)

Last edited:
I just got your PM DTR, I'll check and see if I've got any 3" stuff on monday for you.

Mike, I usually can't get anything shorter than 12 foot bars. Most of the places we order material from won't mess with anything less than 12'. Sometimes I can get certain materials in shorter lengths, but copper and aluminum are usually not on that list. Either way, I usually have some short (>3 foot) sections of Aluminum around, usually in diameters less than 2" though.

jayrob

DTR ---

This is the "pill" which will drop into the head.

4487-saik3.jpg

HMike

Looks nice Mike...

Hey what are those copper clip looking things that your drivers are mounted with?

Looks nice Mike...

Hey what are those copper clip looking things that your drivers are mounted with?

I just noticed those too, the seem to be heatsinking that chip there as well as holding the driver too. That's awesome!