Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2w 445nm build (first build)

i got a little lazy on the picture taking cause i was too focused on putting it together.

2w 445nm diode in 12mm M140 module with X-Drive and G-2 Glass lens.

Originally meant to power it with dual 18350's, but radioshack screwed me over. Purchased 18350s with button tops so i lost $40 and theres a NO RETURN policy.... So i went with RCR123A 3.7V (all i could find).

M140 Module with X-Drive showing
IMG_4144.JPG

Blank battery contact board screwed into host
IMG_4173.JPG

lead wires from diode clipped (should have clipped them even shorter, but it worked)
IMG_4174.JPG

soldering arrangement
IMG_4176.JPG

i soldered everything off camera. Screwed it together and put batteries in.
IMG_4177.JPG

this beam was NOT brought out with fog.
IMG_4178.JPG

This was shined through the side of a glass table.
IMG_4185.JPG

DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO.

Wear safety glasses guys. My buddy didnt believe me that it was dangerous to look at the dot.... lets just say, he didnt look directly at the dot so his peripheral vision went blind for about 15 minutes.

Hi,
Nice build just be careful and use safety at all times, Things like this causes issues with our hobby and we don't want that to happen right??

Rich:)

GSS

Nice, sure is a good feeling at first light up after putting the pieces together:)
You just have a few terms backwords that might cause some confusion.
The diode is the M140 2W. The module is just a 12mm module that can take other diodes.:)
Why wouldn't the 18350 button tops work? That's what you asked for. I don't see them being to wide or long?
Be careful like you said and being you took beam shots in a car? with a black interior and reflecting windows could lead to disaster:can:

Last edited:
Even worse, the beamshot that says "not brought out with fog" seems to have been taken in a moving vehicle on a public roadway. Going by the motion blur occuring to the background, the view in the side mirror clearly showing storefronts and the roadsigns.

My buddy didnt believe me that it was dangerous to look at the dot.... lets just say, he didnt look directly at the dot so his peripheral vision went blind for about 15 minutes. And that.

IMO, not the best safety practices all in all.

DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO.
Nope, won't do as you do. Especially when others' safety is at risk.
I highly suggest reading up on laser safety and getting in line for some of that rare stuff called "common sense".

Reactions: GSS

BobMc

Nice first build. Lot of the people here including myself started with a c6 m140 build. It gives you the fundamentals of how things go together. Welcome and enjoy and be safe.

Ps ( it is your laser, just like a gun, your responsible for when/where the bullet/beam goes. Accidents do happen and the learning curve is real, so let's learn quick so we can enjoy and safely use our workmanship. So once again enjoy and be safe.) :)

Pss, nice pics :)

Last edited:

Encap

Verry nice work ---- good pictures!

Safety first--use proper safety procedures and goggles at al times.

If people around you or wtih you will not wear goggles--don't show it to them running--simple.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, didn't say so earlier. Always pleased to see photo's of member projects, thank you! Rep when I can.

+Rep from me, great build to start off with. You might soon find that it's not enough... :eg:

Even worse, the beamshot that says "not brought out with fog" seems to have been taken in a moving vehicle on a public roadway. Going by the motion blur occuring to the background, the view in the side mirror clearly showing storefronts and the roadsigns.

My buddy didnt believe me that it was dangerous to look at the dot.... lets just say, he didnt look directly at the dot so his peripheral vision went blind for about 15 minutes. And that.

DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO.
I highly suggest reading up on laser safety and getting in line for some of that rare stuff called "common sense".

I offered him glasses but he wouldnt wear them. I only had one pair that why i said do as i say not as i do. Dont act like its my fault when i warned him.

Yes it was in a moving vehicle, it was in traffic too, hence the reason i pointed it down to the floor so it wouldnt shine at anybody.

Verry nice work ---- good pictures!

Safety first--use proper safety procedures and goggles at al times.

If people around you or wtih you will not wear goggles--don't show it to them running--simple.

I have one pair of goggles, but he wouldnt take them. I was offering them to him and i wasnt gonna wear any, but i wasnt gonna look. Thats why i said 'not as i do' cause i wouldnt have had a pear to wear.

DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO.

furthermore, dont be an ass. He didnt listen to me so it hurt his vision, not my fault. Like i said 'do as i say not as i do' is cause he would have my safety glasses to wear and i wouldnt have any so i wasnt gonna look at what he was doing, but he didnt want to do that.

+Rep from me, great build to start off with. You might soon find that it's not enough... :eg:

I definitely want to build a bright green one now. My friends asked me to build them one but i told them "if you cant build it yourself then you shouldnt have it. It's not a toy."

I just feel like anybody who cant build one doesnt know the safety concerns well enough.

Encap

I definitely want to build a bright green one now. My friends asked me to build them one but i told them "if you cant build it yourself then you shouldnt have it. It's not a toy."

I just feel like anybody who cant build one doesnt know the safety concerns well enough.

>>>Quintuple posting<<<

Double or more back to back posting is very frowned upon on LPF and bad form. It is annoying for people to see/read.

Please use the edit feature and put them in one post.
The multiquote feature allows you to put multiple quote in one post and then you can reply under each quote within one post.
Avoid multiple posts by using the multiquote feature (cookies must be enabled to use it)

Congratulations on the build. I was wondering how the batteries didn't work for you as well. $40.00 seems like a lot for two 18350s. Why can't you use them and why can't you return them?

Congratulations on the build. I was wondering how the batteries didn't work for you as well. $40.00 seems like a lot for two 18350s. Why can't you use them and why can't you return them?

The batteries have little buttons on the positive terminal that cant be taken off safely. furthermore, radioshack has a "no return' policy. They were $20 a set and i got 2 sets (so 4 batteries total).