Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

24x!! Sony Optiarc Delivers 24x DVD Writer

Mohrenberg said:
[quote author=T_Warne link=1236091998/40#46 date=1238293273]NastyNic and Mohrenberg,
thanks for taking one for the team on these. It is really too bad that they are not a 5.6mm can, but I'm sure that it won't take long for one of the "mad scientists" on the forum to figure out an easy way to use these.

I am still very interested to see just what they are capable of.

Thanks again guys.[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
TW

well, i simple "tested" it at 150mA to find out which pins were for red, IR, and GD, and after that i shot 609mA into and it died instantly.
which sucks cause i've had 900mA go into a LOC for about 30 seconds before it died.

the way the diode is shaped, it could simply be glued into the aixiz module and work fine, there is a lip on the sides of it that catch on the aixiz module, so when you stick it into the module it basicly "sits" in place right where it should be...you could then glue it to the module........but the heatsinking would prob be crap.....

i don't have a LPM so i don't expect to buy another one untill someone with a LPM can properly test it to see what it's capable of.......
when that happens i'll prob buy a couple more and make pointers out of them.[/quote]
I'll do it :D

Krutz

thank you guys for checking this, much appreciated! at least now we know and may sleep better again.. ;-)
instant death? like immediately, in the first second? then it shouldnt be heat-related, but simply be a weak diode.. weird..

manuel

Yeah remember this is a totally different diode, it could make 300mW at like 300mA or something like that. In any case 600mA was probably a bad place to start ;D

I want to get one of these and see what I can do....

heh.....
i don't really want to spend that much on another......

i need to buy some 6x sleds.....

It is too bad that these ended up being such a strange configuration. I was really hoping that they were the next evolution in Red LDs.

Has anyone done any more testing?
TW

Has anyone investigated these Sony Optiarc 24x diodes any further?
I bought a AD-7240S to play with for kicks and I wanted to know if anyone had any success mounting these odd shaped diodes?

Thanks ITGUY5670:drool:

I got one last week. Machined an Aixiz to hold it but the tiny thing overheated while I was alligning it running only 100 mA :-( I have another coming and will get the Arctic epoxy in there FAST this time!!!
Search the word "flat" research is ongoing by the experimenters.

HMike

Look at the thread "Flat Red Laser diode testing" about 10 threads below. Your Q's will be answered.

Last edited: