Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mW Laser From LIB

LikeItBright Custom 200mW O-Like Module

Service

Back in august I placed an order for a custom green in a Romisen host. He placed the order with Susie; a week after upon reception, he started building, which took less than a week, and shipping to France (19,000 kilometres, or 12,000 miles) took 11 days. So, after 3 weeks and a half, it shook me to see that the laser wasn’t working. So, after 19,000 kilometres and 10,000 km back to China where there was stock problems on 200mW modules, and then after another 29,000km I received the laser today! (30th December 2009). Total distance is 87000 km for waiting 4 months :). (average speed is 8.5 m/s which is a lot faster than I can run).

All I can say is that the man is 100% legit.

[-copied From My Other Post !]

The Laser !!!!

The Performance

-Power : Although the previous 200mW module (measured at 210mW total by LIB) from O-like didn't work, I still got a "200mW" although less powerul. This one is rated at 180mW which is likely equivalent to 150mW green and 30mW of IR. This burns like any 150-200mW laser ; it burns and will burn anything when focused. The brightness of this beast is best classified as unbearable to the naked eye. Fortunately, I have adequate goggles. The brightness is nothing comparable to my 6x or the LCC made by Moh, which are actually more powerful than this laser....

-Divergence : I have 3.8mRad which was calculated on a distance of 3 meters, with goggles, and pseudonomen137's calculator. I tried to repair this because the divergence was visible to the naked eye. I used glasses for "+1" eyes, which are those used for the near-sighted (think of a mag lens with a long (40cm) focal length) I managed to get the divergence to 1.38mRad. It could have been improved actually since I noticed that the further I put my laser, the lower the divergence.

Update : Man this laser is so fun to experiment with ! I managed to get a divergence of 0.45mRad at 50 cm from the glasses. The divergence gets negative after 75 cm (I did 10 cm distance for each dvergence measurement, but I made 25 cm increments after since it was 1 in the morning...

Here's a picture with low divergence taken ouside...

Diagram : what the glasses has done. There is no sweet spot unfortunately as I tried putting my glasses (for myopia)at aperture and the divergence hasn't improved (technical diagram upon request). I guess, if it exists, that it is located behind the window.

Okay, I managed to cut down the divergence to 0.73mRad. Awesome ! I'm hoping to find the appropriate lens for this to put at aperture, as it is not practical to put glasses at 40 cm from aperture. I have no idea of what FL to use though....

The host

-The Heatsink : Made of aluminium, it transfers the heat from the module pretty fast. I'm thinking of adding an active cooling since the heatsink gets warm after a minute of use. It is nicely polished as far as I can tell.

-Beam Alignement : Perfect. The beam is exiting orthogonalement (unlike most DPSS systems) o_0

-The battery compartment : It's the UltraFire Stainless Steel Host for the Q5 emmitter. A nice flashlight which theoreticaly emits 180 lumens, purchasable on DX AFAIK for around 14$. It has a nice logo on it. The spring could have been shortened a bit, although I'm not certain it would be good. Some lasers work when the end screw is at a precise location.

Conclusion

A nice piece of art in my opinion. Has all I wished of from a laser (beam, power, and continuous use thanks to the heatsink).

Last edited:

Helioplasma,

"-Beam Alignement : Perfect. The beam is exiting orthogonalement (unlike most DPSS systems)"

"orthogonalement"?? LOL! I would use the term: "concentric" Good review and I too, have bought from LIB and got top quality as well! -Glenn

Trevor

"orthogonalement"?? LOL! I would use the term: "concentric"

Le faisceau sorties orthogonalement? It's been a while since I've conversed in French. :p

That looks like a great laser - I especially like that host.

-Trevor

Last edited:

HIMNL9

:p Probably you meant axially ? ..... aligned with the axis of the host ? ..... ;)

"orthogonalement"?? ..... :eek: :evil:

Maybe... couldn't find the word ; I don't have enough english math vocabulary... Go with the word you like. Axially works in this case... Concentric ? No idea, but I trust you Glenn !

"Une droite orthogonale a un plan" means this V

dpe_25_1.jpg

Anyone ? :p

Anyway this laser is a lot of fun experimenting with.
And thanks for the +25 rep cold

Last edited:

Trevor

"A right angle on a plane" seems like an accurate translation.

-Trevor

Normal to the output aperture face or parallel to the longitudinal axis of rotation of the cylindrical host? ;)

This one is rated at 180mW which is likely equivalent to 150mW green and 30mW of IR. This burns like any 150-200mW laser ; -Divergence : I have 3.8mRad...
Salut,
nice review (sorry I missed it the first time around)!

I have little doubt in the top-notch quality of LIB's host, owning some of his handywork myself :D

On the other hand, 3.8mRads... wow, that's not the best. Admittingly, I've never seen 180mW of 502nm so maybe it's in spec. Your analysis and attempts for better divergence are highly commendable (+1) and I suggest you talk to either IgorT, JayRob or LarryDFW, all of whom have put a lot of effort in DIY optics around here :)

Considering the quality and availablity of DIY BR & Reds, I am hoping that our local gurus will consider looking into improving the DIY 532nm area! LIB and JayRob, amoing others, have made valiant stride in the area of hosts for 532nm, but the modules themselves (drivers, beam divergence & last but not least, dependability) are mediocre at best.

I have three 532nm lazors worth mentioning:

Megagreen UK "Leadlight" pointer, 70mW, <1mrad
Kryton + O-Like module, 130mW, <2mrad
JayRob Ultrafire + Rayfoss "compact" 150(50)mW module, <?mrad, non-tem00 P.O.S

Of the three, the Kryton is the best combo of looks and clean 532 power, the LP is the cleanest (albeit in a boring host) and the JayRob host has the potential of being the smallest but alas, I am still searching for a reasonable module, size & quality-wise... :-/

Getting back on topic, let us know if you can manage to convince one of the optics gurus to try their hands on improving a standard DX/O-Like/RayFoss 532nm module, both in optics and drivers too :beer: