Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mW for 54$? with HQ focus?

WOW Ryan, what a disappointment. I feel bad saying this, but I hope yours was a fluke & the ones other Members ordered have a much higher output. Looks like we may have to do some fiddling with these, like we did with the 'dildas' when they 1st came out. This REALLY BLOWS, CHUNKS :barf:

Benm

Just got mine :)
Slightly disappointing news... put it on the meter and only got about 60-67mW :( I don't have any higher powered greens, so it still looks bright to me, but it's not the claimed 200mW. At least mine isn't. Maybe I got a dud and others will be more powerful.

60-67 is a pretty meager result even for a bad unit in the batch. I hope the other buyers have better luck.

Hey there fellas. Short review. Laser works with 1 cr123a batttery or 1 of those big batteries that the RPL uses. I haven't gotten it to work with 2 cr123a batteries. Focussing ability is great. It can burn stuff. Momentary on/off kinda sucks. Power is significantly less than 200mW. Around 70 tops. My first reading with filter was 67mW interestingly enough. I also got readings in the high fifties and sixties. Was it worth the price? Yes. Is it anywhere near 200mW? NO Am I surprised? NO Do I really give a shit with my 500mW focusable laser sitting here next to it?? Not in the least bit.

rkcstr

Yeah, it's certainly a decent laser for the price, I won't argue with that. It is disappointing that it isn't quite as advertised, but it is STILL plenty bright. I saw the beam in my living room in daylight and the dot on the building across the street in full sunlight. Plus, it is a pretty beefy build.

Anyway, I'm not sure, but it MAY have an IR filter on it. If you screw out the focusing knob and look in, there is a small optic glued onto the housing. Mine's not really on centered, which make me think it isn't critical in shaping the beam, rather filtering.

Well without the addition of my filter my readings were around 180mW. The IR throws the reading way off as the meter is tuned to 532nm. With the filter I got 67mW. You can expect to lose some green from the filter so I would say it puts out 70mW. It looks to be that. Nice beamage and burnage. Stings the skin without being focused.

rkcstr

Ok, so maybe not, haha. I was using a thermal head meter, but was getting somewhere around 65mW (+-5mW) with no filter. I'm guessing you're using an optical meter? So, who knows how much IR it really is putting out.

Only if it's putting out the mW's that the "200mW" unit is. If mine is like that when it comes, 1st I'll cry, then, IF IT HAS ONE, I'm takin' off the IR FILTER, leavin' it that way, & just bein' REAL CAREFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rob

Mine slips into tem0...something for the first 20 seconds until it warms up. After that it has a nice tight beam.

Damn... sort of a disappointment :( Quite frankly I don't think it's worth the money, unless the host is just absolutely amazing. Otherwise, it seems better to just get an o-like 50mW module and a coleman max host & heatsink for around the same price.

You could also get a 100mW star tipped laser from rayfoss for a good price and it is pretty close to 100mW I ordered 13 of them.

Ways

Just received mine and like the above its performing well under spec.

I dont have access to a LPM at the moment (waiting on a kenometer) :) however compared by eye to my focusable 50mw from DX costing $33.49... http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23560 ... i prefer the DX 50mw!, the host itself isnt bad but it isnt as good as the DX, the threads feel rougher, the body feels lighter and somehow less substantial the mom switch feels like it will break and the focus ring feels tighter but not as precise.
a couple of pics showing a side by side comparison, hard to tell from the pics but the DX has a narrower beam and is noticeably brighter to the eye (maybe due to the narrower beam?)
04062009134_resize.jpg
04062009135_resize.jpg
04062009136_resize.jpg
The KD laser is on the left, DX on the right.

EDIT:- forgot to say i used fully charged 18650's (one of which came with my DX 50mw making it an even better deal!) swapped the cells between hosts incase of slight voltage variation but noticed no difference in performance the KD was still not as bright as the DX.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

Toplasers let me down. I wouldn't plan to buy anything else from them after seeing they sell 60mW as a 200mW unit.

Avoid them

D

Deleted member 8382

the order was somehow not processed by them, it doesn't appear in the kaidomain account reg, and if you lookfor ther order it says it doesn't exist. So yes, I opened a dispute.